Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

unreal but why doesn't it surprise me why didn't they build it as per planning permission
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

western exile

I think a key point in that article is made by Cllr Eugene McCormack
"The County Board made the application in good faith. They were then told by RTÉ that the tower was not adequate for their needs. They didn't seek retention then which is the crux."

Farrandeelin

I don't suppose Mayo football will benefit from the moneys owed to the developers of McHale Park. As for the tower, well it really is ugly and RTE should acknowledge that.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo4Sam

No comments on Mayo's 2 all star nominations. For my money they got it wrong on mort, he wasn't even mayo's best forward. Moran prob deserved one but it would be a toss up between him & Gardiner. Thought mayo's best players were aidan o'shea, killer (even with only 3 half games) & moran/Gardiner in that order. Mort went missing in the Meath march when he was needed.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Tubberman

So it's official that the U21 management trio have stood down. They leave a record of 4 Connacht U-21 titles in a row, capped by that 2006 All-Ireland win in their first year in charge. It could be debated that we could/should have got to at least one more final, but it's an impressive record for any county. That's the only All-Ireland title at of the main grades since the minors in '85.
They've put in a huge effort and brought back silverware each year, so fair play to them, they deserve the break.

The replacement would want to be appointed fairly soon - the club U-21 championship is at quarter-final stage, and the intercounty championship is played pretty early in the year. The stories I've heard so far are that Ray Dempsey might be stepping up to work with the players he's brought through minors.
The other story is that the co board want JOM to take on the U-21s. Seeing as he's a sitting TD, and plenty of people think he's not giving enough attention to the senior side, it's hard to see how he could take on the U-21s as well....

QuoteWANTED: AN U–21 MANAGER

Pat Holmes and Noel Connelly step down from Mayo U-21 post

Mike Finnerty

THE Mayo GAA Board are searching for an U-21 football management team this week after Pat Holmes and Noel Connelly's decision to step down from the post last month.
The successful joint-management team, along with Micheál Collins, won four Connacht championships and an All-Ireland title during their four years in charge. However, they informed the County Board last month that they were not staying on for a fifth season.
"I've done my four years with the U-21 team and it's time now for somebody else to have a crack at it," Pat Holmes told The Mayo News. "I've enjoyed it but I'm looking forward to the break." He added that 'work and family commitments' were also factors in his decision.
"I've done four years now, my wife and I have another baby on the way later this month, and I feel it's time for a break," explained Noel Connelly. "I will miss it though," he added. "There's nothing like being involved with a team and winning matches."
Both Holmes and Connelly singled out the All-Ireland title win in 2006 as their personal highlights from their four year term. They also believe that the players graduating from the U-21 ranks will make the breakthrough at senior level.
"I think some quality footballers have come through the network," said Pat Holmes. "The likes of Tom Cunniffe, Chris Barrett, Tom Parsons, Aidan Campbell, Aidan O'Shea, Trevor Howley, Keith Higgins... These are all quality footballers and I have no doubt that they are good enough to have success at senior level in the future."
"It's time, whether we don't win Connacht in the next two years or not, to bring through the U-21s of the last few years," offered Noel Connelly. "The likes of Chris Barrett, Ger Cafferkey, Donal Vaughan... they're the future of Mayo football. They're athletes."
There had been some speculation in recent weeks that Connelly, who is still playing football with Hollymount, would be part of John O'Mahony's Mayo senior backroom team in 2010. However, he emphatically ruled out that possibility.
"I've heard the rumours and there's no truth in them," said Connelly. "I won't be involved with the Mayo senior team next year.  Maybe down the road in some capacity, but not at the moment."
When Pat Holmes was asked if he could see himself working with his old team-mate again in the future, maybe with a Mayo senior team, he said: "You can never rule anything in or out... But that's for another day."
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

stephenite

It would make more sense for Dempsey to continue with these lads, ready replacement with a proven track record with the players. It's a no brainer really

Farrandeelin

Pat Holmes should never be allowed near a Mayo senior team again never mind for another day.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 06, 2009, 09:43:37 PM
Pat Holmes should never be allowed near a Mayo senior team again never mind for another day.

fact

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 06, 2009, 09:43:37 PM

But think of all his man marking skills that he showed against Maurice Fitz in 97 that could be passed on... :P

I'd agree though. Had his chance. Beating Galway in the league final wasn't that bad though.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: stephenite on October 06, 2009, 11:17:39 AM
It would make more sense for Dempsey to continue with these lads, ready replacement with a proven track record with the players. It's a no brainer really

So was playing Cross v Knockmore in Ballina. I'll only believe Dempsey's being given the job when its announced and I'm worried it won't happen.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 07, 2009, 12:33:38 AM

So was playing Cross v Knockmore in Ballina. I'll only believe Dempsey's being given the job when its announced and I'm worried it won't happen.

I'm hearing that K Gallagher is going to get the U21 job ahead of Dempsey, thus extending the Johnno regime into its most obvious feeder base. Anybody got any thoughts on this? Seems harsh on Dempsey to me.

Farrandeelin

Will Gallagher still be part of the senior set-up next year I wonder? If so, we must have NO players between 21-30 that are good enough. That's my opinion.

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on October 14, 2009, 07:49:34 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 07, 2009, 12:33:38 AM

I'm hearing that K Gallagher is going to get the U21 job ahead of Dempsey, thus extending the Johnno regime into its most obvious feeder base. Anybody got any thoughts on this? Seems harsh on Dempsey to me.

I m hearing the same thing. Gallagher resigning from the senior setup is now taking on a different complexion. Looks like a ruse to me to allow him take over the U21s with Johnno in the Bobby Robson role. Reading Waldron in the local media a couple of weeks ago it was obvious they did nt see Dempsey in a more senior role yet - if ever.

Anyway obviously not happy with these younger players falling into Johnno s clutches. I d be expecting more Campbell/ Kilcullen casualties as he uses his bludgeoning man- management style. It just pushes back any recovery we may have hoped for even further. These guys have it all sown up. They pull more tricks than circus clowns.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 14, 2009, 08:37:42 PM
Will Gallagher still be part of the senior set-up next year I wonder? If so, we must have NO players between 21-30 that are good enough. That's my opinion.

Not sure what you mean here Farandeelin. The second part anyway. I d say Gallagher will have a part with the seniors after the U21 campaign. Clearly Johnno wants control of this grade as well. Why I dunno? He clearly has nt enough time for a hands-on approach to the U21 as well so we ll be given a puppet management with Johnno pulling the strings. As far as I know nobody has been named to replace Gallagher in the senior management. Johnno has been typically vague about it. Looks like himself and Tommy will go it alone with Gallagher joining them after the U21 campaign finishes. They appear vague about this and it will seem to evolve but I d say it s been all cut and dried. If this turns out to be the case we face a short-medium future of thin gruel indeed.

f**k it, I used to look forward to the under 21 championship. Used to make nearly all the games. Another avenue of enjoyment being taken away from me.

stephenite

Quote from: moysider on October 14, 2009, 10:48:28 PM
f**k it, I used to look forward to the under 21 championship. Used to make nearly all the games. Another avenue of enjoyment being taken away from me.

So another avenue of enjoyment has been taken away because of the manager that has been put on place?there's no reason why the U-21's won't be in the mix for major honours given the talent coming through at that level, even with a reasonably competent figure at the helm.

I think Dempsey should've been given the job but that he wasn't is no reason to write them off completely surely?