Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prewtna

Stephenites generally don't give two hoots for the league, but always do enough to retain their division one status. It is unfair for the club to be punished for this, as the man said, if we were told before the league that we would be relegated for finsihing where we did, it wouldn't have happened. I sense an opportunity has been taken by the board, pulling a stroke like this whilst most in the club are distracted what with preparing to represent the county and the province.
[/quote]

do you think the county board would do that deliberately against the stephenites? wasnt there something earlier in the champo when ye were asked to play in castlebar or something instead of ballina and ye politely told them to feck off? theyd hardly take such umbridge and get ye relegated for that?!

stephenite

I heard that Sean Feeney approached someone and requested that Connacht club games be played in Castlebar instead of Ballina but don't know if that's 100% true or not. I'd imagine that the decision was taken as a 'fix' for the other issues earlier in the year - issues that were completley of their own making if I'm not mistaken, as opposed to any malice of where the club decided to play the connacht club games.

Have been trying to find out more details on what exactly went on

Davitt Man

The county board took the top 6 teams from div 1a and 5 from div1b from last years leagues to form Div1A with the rest making up Div 1B for this year coming

Div1A          
Cross, Moy Davitts, Davitts, Westport, B\Robe, Belmullet, Tourmakeady, B\Tubber, Lousiburgh,Kiltane

Div1B
Ballaghderreen, Breaffy, C\Town, B\Shrule, K\More, Claremorris, Ballina, Kilmeena, Shrule, Castlebar

Claremorris must feel hard done by seen as belmullet got in ahead of them for some reason

Davitt Man

League proposal accepted 
Tuesday, 15 January 2008 
Delegates accept Board's proposal

Mayo GAA Leagues to change

THE Mayo GAA football leagues will be divided into six sections this year after a proposal from the County Competitions Control Committee was accepted by club delegates at a County Board meeting in Castlebar last night (Monday).
After a lengthy debate, which saw almost as much criticism as support from the floor for the CCCC proposal, a show of hands ultimately settled the issue.
Under the adopted proposals, the Welcome Inn League will be classified as a senior league and will be divided into six sections. The placings that are proposed for each club are based on last year's league performances.
Division 1A will be made up of those teams that finished in the top half of each of last year's division 1 tables.
The top two teams in Divisions 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E and 1F will be promoted with the bottom two in Divisions 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D and 1E being relegated.
However, there was no shortage of debate on the issue last night before it was settled. Claremorris GAA Club had circulated an alternative proposal to clubs last week which also received support from some of those present.
There were a dozen speakers on the league proposals in all, with Connacht Council Secretary John Prenty, describing the CCCC proposal as "relegation by stealth" and calling the letters used to signify the sections as "a charade".
"Everyone knows it's Divisions 1 to 6," said Prenty. "Teams that were in one position last year now find themselves in a different position...The Divisional competitions are as useful as tits on a bull. They are absolutely no benefit."
In response, Mayo GAA Secretary Sean Feeney said: "We wanted to give parity of esteem to last year's Divisions 1A and 1B and we had to come up with a system to divide them.
"It stretched us to the limit to get games in last year. Clubs told us they didn't want to be playing in December and that they wanted their county players for league games.
"In relation to the Divisional Cups, you can call any competition a 'Mickey Mouse' competition. You could call the Connacht League a 'Mickey Mouse' competition."
The Chairman of the CCCC, Paddy McNicholas, also responded to Prenty's comments. "We're not in the game of having a go at clubs and we feel we're giving a competitive league. Saying that the Divisional Cups are useless is an opinion but it gave clubs games and meant they didn't have to go looking for challenges."
Sean MacÉil, a member of the CCCC, said that he felt the leagues would have stayed the same as last year were it not for the objections that had been made.
"I disagree that this is relegation by stealth and I believe that clubs will get nine or ten league games, at least three championship matches, plus their Divisional Cup games. That seems adequate to me."
Aidan Brennan, speaking on behalf of Claremorris, said that his club had beat Knockmore and Ballina at the end of last year to stay in Division 1B.
"We expected to retain our position after doing that. We feel that teams didn't get the opportunity to play into the league that the CCCC are proposing. Our proposal would mean that clubs do get that opportunity."
His pleas fell on deaf ears, however, as a show of hands on the CCCC proposal saw it carried.

blast05

QuoteStephenites generally don't give two hoots for the league, but always do enough to retain their division one status. It is unfair for the club to be punished for this, as the man said, if we were told before the league that we would be relegated for finsihing where we did, it wouldn't have happened. I sense an opportunity has been taken by the board, pulling a stroke like this whilst most in the club are distracted what with preparing to represent the county and the province.

I sense a bit of paranoia.
My club came out on the wrong sides of league re-organisation 3 years in a row in the early part of this decade - relegated twice and missed on promotion by 1 place another year. It had the effect of knocking the momentum out of the club for the last 5 years where it became more about being able to field 15 players than winning anything. The lesson was eventually learned that every league game has to be taken seriously because of the likelihood of a re-ord even if promotion or relegation were not options with 3 or 4 games to go.
Sure we are small in comparison to Ballina but these re-orgs have been happening year after year and to suggest it was the county board having a go at Ballina is childish. Sure maybe they're just trying to do yee a favour in order to help create a siege mentality  :P

Pietas

Lads,

I received the email below this morning.  Unsolicited, and I don't recognise the sender. I have left their name and email address off the version below.  Did anyone else get a mail like this aimed at extracting a few pound from the Mayos in Dublin with the promise of a membership card, fleece)how apt! and free entry to ticket draws for which you subsequently have to pay for...bloody cheek)...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Folks,
Just a mail that may be of interest to you.."Mayo GAA Dublin" (Noel Howley/Mary King etc) are setting up an official Mayo GAA Supporters Club called "Club Mayo - Dublin". I have been involved in the initial meetings around setting it up and we are having the official launch night on Tuesday 5th February (Venue: The Garda Club, Harrington Street, Dublin 8). John O'Mahony, James Waldron (county board chairman) as well as others will attend on the night.
Membership of the club will be granted on the night. On the night of the launch, there will be a presentation given as to where all money raised will be used...The money being raised is to help defray the costs during the year associated with the County Senior/U-21/Minor football teams...(Things like travel expenses for players, accomodation for the team the night before away matches, lunches for the team on the days of matches etc)
Membership will give you
"Club Mayo-Dublin" Fleece
"Club Mayo-Dublin" ID Card
Entry into a quarterly draw for 4 prizes: 1st - €1,000, 2nd - €500, 3rd - €250, 4th, - €250
Presentation of Club Mayo ID card at Mayo's home league matches will ensure free entry to the ground
Presentation of Club Mayo ID card at Senior Club championship matches in Mayo will ensure free entry to the ground
If Mayo reach an All-Ireland Football final, you will be entered into a draw to win All-Ireland Tickets. If you win you will be required to pay for the tickets at face value 
If Mayo reach a match in Croke Park, you will also be entered into a draw to win Tickets. Again, if you win you will be required to pay for the tickets at face value.
Let me know what you think! If you want to become a member/come along on the night, let me know your address and I will get an invite posted out to you.

Kind regards,
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

AbbeySider

Pietas,

That is indeed a strange one. I thought there was already a Mayo supports in Dublin club.
I think that another one was going to be set up a while back and it caused some trouble.
You might find references to it in the "old" gaa board. As a matter of interest did the email say how much membership was?

stephenite

Quote from: blast05 on January 15, 2008, 01:36:42 PM
QuoteStephenites generally don't give two hoots for the league, but always do enough to retain their division one status. It is unfair for the club to be punished for this, as the man said, if we were told before the league that we would be relegated for finsihing where we did, it wouldn't have happened. I sense an opportunity has been taken by the board, pulling a stroke like this whilst most in the club are distracted what with preparing to represent the county and the province.

I sense a bit of paranoia.
My club came out on the wrong sides of league re-organisation 3 years in a row in the early part of this decade - relegated twice and missed on promotion by 1 place another year. It had the effect of knocking the momentum out of the club for the last 5 years where it became more about being able to field 15 players than winning anything. The lesson was eventually learned that every league game has to be taken seriously because of the likelihood of a re-ord even if promotion or relegation were not options with 3 or 4 games to go.
Sure we are small in comparison to Ballina but these re-orgs have been happening year after year and to suggest it was the county board having a go at Ballina is childish. Sure maybe they're just trying to do yee a favour in order to help create a siege mentality  :P

In fairness it would be my own paranoia, from what I hear the club are accepting this decision from the County Board. You're saying that ye were relegated twice, can I ask where in the table ye finished the year that these re-organisations took place?
My own thinking is that to finish 4th from bottom and still end up in what is essentially division 2 is a crazy and unfiar decision

blast05

QuoteYou're saying that ye were relegated twice, can I ask where in the table ye finished the year that these re-organisations took place?

Around 2001 & 2002 we finished 6th and then 7th in a league of 11 teams on consecutive years. The first year the bottom 6 were relegated (there had been an A & B to the division), the second the bottom 5 - all decided at seasons end. I was never so annoyed about GAA matters when the second re-org was made although we were so poor during the second season that we deserved it.

stephenite

Quote from: blast05 on January 15, 2008, 10:11:50 PM
QuoteYou're saying that ye were relegated twice, can I ask where in the table ye finished the year that these re-organisations took place?

Around 2001 & 2002 we finished 6th and then 7th in a league of 11 teams on consecutive years. The first year the bottom 6 were relegated (there had been an A & B to the division), the second the bottom 5 - all decided at seasons end. I was never so annoyed about GAA matters when the second re-org was made although we were so poor during the second season that we deserved it.

There is no way in hell ye deserved anything unless ye finished in the bottom 2, and that's the point I'm trying to make really.

My own fear is that with our Senior team involved in the All Ireland series, at the end of a long season it might be hard to get out of division2

Pietas

Quote from: AbbeySider on January 15, 2008, 06:53:12 PM
Pietas,

That is indeed a strange one. I thought there was already a Mayo supports in Dublin club.
I think that another one was going to be set up a while back and it caused some trouble.
You might find references to it in the "old" gaa board. As a matter of interest did the email say how much membership was?

I remember that moves were made to bring Mayo fans together through this board and a meeting was held in the Burlington (RIP) attended by John Maughan and Kevin McStay, but nothing seemed to happen after that. It would appear that the county board are now in cahoots with some of the people who organised that event (I'm presuming that's how come I've be emailed).  There was no reference in the email as to how much membership will cost.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

The Lord of Luuuvre

Quote from: Pietas on January 16, 2008, 10:19:15 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on January 15, 2008, 06:53:12 PM
Pietas,

I remember that moves were made to bring Mayo fans together through this board and a meeting was held in the Burlington (RIP) attended by John Maughan and Kevin McStay, but nothing seemed to happen after that. It would appear that the county board are now in cahoots with some of the people who organised that event (I'm presuming that's how come I've be emailed).  There was no reference in the email as to how much membership will cost.

I wouldn't cast aspersions on those charged with minding Mayo's money for one second, but would ask that if one were to join 'Club Mayo' could one be sure one's money was being spent on furthering gaelic football in the county and not on silly escapades?  Mayo's track record on how it spends it's money is not exactly good, though the County Board does at least appear solvent. I hope 'Club Mayoi' is a success and that it helps build the kind of success Tyrone have enjoyed with what appears to be a similar scheme.

There are some serious questions to be asked here.  I am presuming 'Club Mayo' is based on 'Club Tyrone.'  Heck, the people behind it haven't had the wit to even t**ker the with the name.

Is Club Mayo essentially a sub-committee/fundraising arms of the Mayo County Board? Is it a sub-committee of the Mayomen's Asscoiation in Dublin (an organisation I wouldn't be mad to get involved with, real Tammany Hall stuff)  Who are the trustees of 'Cub Mayo?'  What are 'Club Mayo's' terms of reference? Will members be furnished with a detailed set of accounts each year?

The following is very vague:  On the night of the launch, there will be a presentation given as to where all money raised will be used...The money being raised is to help defray the costs during the year associated with the County Senior/U-21/Minor football teams...(Things like travel expenses for players, accomodation for the team the night before away matches, lunches for the team on the days of matches etc)

I think there should have been a bit more clarity in that email Pietas posted.

For those of us who believe inter-county GAA players are entitled to their grants, it's worth pointing out that Mayo were the first county board to oppose this, but they are now going cap in hand to their supporters in Dublin.  I won't go down the road of outling some of the other atrocities committed by that board in the recent past, but they didn't cover themselves in glory re the opening of croke park either...

Greetings and salivations

Davitt Man

I heard Standard membership is €20/month set up via Standing Order. There will be brochures detailing what we are our aims the night of the launch (as well as the presentation detailing where every cent raised goes to). The standing order forms are attached to them also. If you are happy with what you hear on the night, you are more than welcome to join.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Davitt Man on January 16, 2008, 12:11:29 PM
I heard Standard membership is €20/month set up via Standing Order. There will be brochures detailing what we are our aims the night of the launch (as well as the presentation detailing where every cent raised goes to). The standing order forms are attached to them also. If you are happy with what you hear on the night, you are more than welcome to join.

I take it your involved then Davitt Man?
Am I right in assuming that its sort of a financial club that will be raising / donating money towards the county teams?

Its a good remunerative incentive I suppose.

(thats my big words of the day  :P )

Davitt Man

nope im not involved i just copied and pasted that post from an email i got off mick conlon the guy that sent the original email.