Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davitt Man

prwetna the training has wound down alrite, we havnt trained collectively since the rel playoff, we just do our own thing, playing soccer or running

AbbeySider

Connacht Club Intermediate Football Championship Sunday October 14th - McHale Park

Ballintubber 0-14 0-11 Drumreilly (Leitrim)

The referee was an absolute disgrace. Even neutrals I talked to at the match couldnt believe some of the stuff he pulled.
He blatantly tried to bring Drumreilly back into the match by giving them free after free and then he sent two Ballintubber players off for nothing!? I couldnt believe what I was seeing.

Anyone else at it? 

RedandGreenSniper

The way the leagues will work is like this

The winners of each league, be it Division 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B go straight up to the next division. There is no play-off for second placed teams.
The winners of Division 1A and Division 1B go through to a league final to determine the overall Division 1 winners. This will also happen in Division 2 and Division 3.

With regards to relegation the following is the outcome: the bottom two teams in each division, be it Division 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B go into relegation play-offs. If you finish bottom of Division 1A, you play the second bottom team in Division 1B. Bottom of Division 1B will play second bottom from Division 1A and the same for Division 2. The losing team in these games goes down. Therefore you will have two teams relegated from Division 1 and they will be replaced by the winners of Division 2A and the winners of Division 2B.
So to use the current tables the following is the scenario. Crossmolina win Division 1A (unless Moy Davitts hammer them in the last game), they play the winners of Division 1B, Ballaghaderreen, who cannot be caught, for the title of Division 1 winners. Currently Kiltane are bottom of Division 1A, they will play the second bottom team in Division 1B, that is currently Shrule. The losers of that game will go down to Division 2.
Castlebar are currently bottom of Division 1B, they will play second bottom in Division 1A, currently Louisburgh. Again, the losers go down.
Garrymore have already topped Division 2A, they will be in Division 1 next year. Kiltimagh and Islandeady are joint top of Division 2B, they will play-off and the winners go up.

If the teams are tied on the same points, scoring difference comes into play. That is with the exception of Division 2B where Kiltimagh play-off against Islandeady. Islandeady have the better scoring difference but Kiltimagh have been granted a replay because Moygownagh gave them a walkover and therefore no chance to accumulate a scoring difference

Hope that all makes sense.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 16, 2007, 11:59:53 AM
The way the leagues will work is like this

The winners of each league, be it Division 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B go straight up to the next division. There is no play-off for second placed teams.
The winners of Division 1A and Division 1B go through to a league final to determine the overall Division 1 winners. This will also happen in Division 2 and Division 3.

With regards to relegation the following is the outcome: the bottom two teams in each division, be it Division 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B go into relegation play-offs. If you finish bottom of Division 1A, you play the second bottom team in Division 1B. Bottom of Division 1B will play second bottom from Division 1A and the same for Division 2. The losing team in these games goes down. Therefore you will have two teams relegated from Division 1 and they will be replaced by the winners of Division 2A and the winners of Division 2B.
So to use the current tables the following is the scenario. Crossmolina win Division 1A (unless Moy Davitts hammer them in the last game), they play the winners of Division 1B, Ballaghaderreen, who cannot be caught, for the title of Division 1 winners. Currently Kiltane are bottom of Division 1A, they will play the second bottom team in Division 1B, that is currently Shrule. The losers of that game will go down to Division 2.
Castlebar are currently bottom of Division 1B, they will play second bottom in Division 1A, currently Louisburgh. Again, the losers go down.
Garrymore have already topped Division 2A, they will be in Division 1 next year. Kiltimagh and Islandeady are joint top of Division 2B, they will play-off and the winners go up.

If the teams are tied on the same points, scoring difference comes into play. That is with the exception of Division 2B where Kiltimagh play-off against Islandeady. Islandeady have the better scoring difference but Kiltimagh have been granted a replay because Moygownagh gave them a walkover and therefore no chance to accumulate a scoring difference

Hope that all makes sense.

Well done RGS, that cleared it up for me big time. I think its a very fair way to do things.
Can you divulge how you got this info? Was there a county board meeting last night ?

Davitt Man

I dont think the relegation issue is fair, if you finish bottom you still have a chance of surviving!! that shouldnt happen, a team that finishs bottom without winning a game all year can still survive the drop. Thats not right, if you finish bottom down you go!!

RedandGreenSniper

It's all in the GAA fixtures book and I heard the thing about the Division 2B set-up over the weekend.
County Board meeting is on next Monday night I think. Holmes and Dempsey up for ratification for a further year

From the Bunker

I Know it is the least glamerous of the County finals, but does anybody have any thoughs on the Junior Final between Achill and Islandeady. Islandeady look to be the stronger but always seem to come up short on the big stage. Islandeady have a young team with 11 playing in the recent u-21 C final loss to Kilmovee Shamrocks.

AbbeySider

HoganStand Stirring the shit...

O'Mahony questions Task Force proposals

17 October 2007

Mayo manager John O'Mahony and county board secretary Sean Feeney have contrasting views on the proposed close season suggested in the report published by the GAA Task Force on player burnout last week.

While Feeney believes it is a "good idea", O'Mahony feels a close season would be difficult to police and won't necessarily benefit players.

He asked: "How do you monitor it? Is the idea that you stop training altogether?

"There are some players who will work well in their own time but others who need collective training to keep up the intensity. At the moment, Mayo players are doing weights, mostly on their own, but we arrange that once a week so lads can meet up and do this collectively. Will this have to stop?"

Feeney, in contrast, welcomes the proposal, pointing out that it would save the county boards thousands of euros each year.

"You see a lot of inter-county managers starting collective training in late October and that's ridiculous," he said.

"The season will run until July and that's way too long for players. Then there is the cost element. Each training session we conduct for a panel of 30 players will cost in the region of ?1,500. That's between meals at ?12 a head and 50 cent a mile expenses."

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 16, 2007, 03:10:29 PM
It's all in the GAA fixtures book and I heard the thing about the Division 2B set-up over the weekend.
County Board meeting is on next Monday night I think. Holmes and Dempsey up for ratification for a further year

Will they be ratified?

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Davitt Man

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 17, 2007, 01:20:05 PM

17 October 2007

Mayo manager John O'Mahony and county board secretary Sean Feeney have contrasting views on the proposed close season suggested in the report published by the GAA Task Force on player burnout last week.

While Feeney believes it is a "good idea", O'Mahony feels a close season would be difficult to police and won't necessarily benefit players.

He asked: "How do you monitor it? Is the idea that you stop training altogether?

"There are some players who will work well in their own time but others who need collective training to keep up the intensity. At the moment, Mayo players are doing weights, mostly on their own, but we arrange that once a week so lads can meet up and do this collectively. Will this have to stop?"

Feeney, in contrast, welcomes the proposal, pointing out that it would save the county boards thousands of euros each year.

"You see a lot of inter-county managers starting collective training in late October and that's ridiculous," he said.

"The season will run until July and that's way too long for players. Then there is the cost element. Each training session we conduct for a panel of 30 players will cost in the region of ?1,500. That's between meals at ?12 a head and 50 cent a mile expenses."

Its happening again, why cant we (Mayo) just stay out of the media and go about our work quietly, last year Mayo football was always in the news because Johnno was running in the election. I prefer if we could just stay nice and quiet and go about our work nice and quietly and then bang give them something to talk about when we win a match

rosnarun

its because the wrong men appointing the wrong man for the wrong reasons. yet again Feeney tries his best to publily undermine the county manager for finacial reasons and hes not even the Treasurer.  and we all know omahony cant fart without calling a press conferance to hear it.
What exactly were all those talks about before his finegaelness took over the county reins if they didnt include how many training sessions. esp as that seems to have been a large part of the reason we ditched a manager that got us to an allireland final for one who got us humilliated by a very poor derry team.
surely they didnt concentrate on his own 'expenses' and media Profile exclusively

yes im open to kettle and pot accusations but im not a paid county officer.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

the ship

was sean feeney a good footballer himself? we know he was a great hurler because he also told them they were training too many times a week.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 17, 2007, 01:20:05 PM

17 October 2007

what a tool feeney is he doesn't give two fcuks about the players does he want players to cycle to training. what other county board would you hear the secretary giving out about paying petrol expenses to the players. we might have a good management on Board (thats definately up to debate) but some of the things players had to do last year was ridiculous for e.g travelling uo to Dublin the day of the league final by train rather than stay overnight, going to cork to play a league match and coming back again that night and play club games the following day again to avoid Staying over night and what about travelling up to Derry the Day of the Qualifer rather than Staying in Derry the night before all of these to keep expenses down.   
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

RedandGreenSniper

Ah in fairness lads expenses of €1,500 a session is fairly high. They have an obligation to be solvent. I'd be critical of the county board most of the time but at that rate I don't blame them for being critical of training 11 months of the year.
And besides training in October is daft!

Farrandeelin

Maybe when they have done the redevelopment on McHale Park they will spend some more on the teams. Or then again, maybe not. Also, remember back in 2006 when Moran wanted them to play in Croker against Laois in the quarter-finals, he had some quip with that as well saying that it'd be better off to be played in Roscommon or somewhere like that, again to cut expenses. His shocking act of sacking the hurling manager should also be called into question, again because of some expenses.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.