Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Crete Boom

Quote from: rosnarun on November 13, 2014, 11:05:14 AM
because Trevor was always his own man  and never hid his personality.
I suspect the real reason Horan got rid of him ( what ever the mechanics were) was Cillian o connor .
Mort was essential as a free taker  for mayo for years and probably was the top close range  free taker in the country for most of that period, but was not a slogger along horans taste . why else would you he have picked Conroy Carolan campbell ect before him .
@Maigheo
i have alway considered Ronaldson one of a long list of lost talents for mayo . our most skilful player since Mcdonald and what did Horan do play him way out of position as a Mark Mchugh type player and then drop him. What age is he now ? is it too late?

Was it not the newly crowned king of the internet/broadband/mobile phone covereage oireachtas committee JO'M who played Ronaldson as a sweeper in 2009/2010?

I think Horan felt in his mind he could only have one small skillful corner man and went for Mortimer due to his scoring record but personally I would have gone for Ronaldson if I was forced to pick one or the other. Ronaldson was not only skillful but would take on the hard scores under real pressure like the points he fired over when the U21 final in 2006 was in the melting pot.I hope he gets a shot under the new management.

rosnarun

could have been JOM alright all I remember was raging seeing Ronaldson working like a  mary o rourke in midfield in a wet league game when as ever we had a severe shortage of intellegent  forwards.
i reckon Forward line could come in for a major reshuffle esp if as likely Dillion and and ansy will no longer be staters the Like of Ronadson, Adam gallagher , coen , douglas ,Conor O'Shea , C freem and D oconnor , maybe a few more of the minor class of 2013 . i would love to see carolan get another go as his work rate  would be a huge asset even if he would score too much,
Who know the boy might even persuade the rumor that is Evan regan to tog out now and again
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Nihilist

i wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Andy or Alan. Way I see it it's up to the guys who are sitting on the bench or looking in from the panel to displace the current players on merit. Nobody should get a automatic right of passage

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on November 14, 2014, 01:55:25 PM
could have been JOM alright all I remember was raging seeing Ronaldson working like a  mary o rourke in midfield in a wet league game when as ever we had a severe shortage of intellegent  forwards.
i reckon Forward line could come in for a major reshuffle esp if as likely Dillion and and ansy will no longer be staters the Like of Ronadson, Adam gallagher , coen , douglas ,Conor O'Shea , C freem and D oconnor , maybe a few more of the minor class of 2013 . i would love to see carolan get another go as his work rate  would be a huge asset even if he would score too much,
Who know the boy might even persuade the rumor that is Evan regan to tog out now and again

Ronaldson - I think it was Johnno who used Ronaldson as some kind of water carrier alright.
The Johnno era was a disaster. The fact that Horan got us to touching distance of the summit after that disaster is one of the greatest feats in GAA management history.

Ronaldson was still involved under Horan s first spring. I was at a couple of those FBD games and he played well.

But he got beat up by Marc O Sé in the League match and don t think he was in the picture after. That s the way it goes. A year later Enda Varley got the mother and father of a doin in Ballyshannon but stayed in the picture. I d have always had Ronaldson before some who were favoured but that s the way it goes it seems. Everybody sees things differently.

You mention;  Ronadson, Adam gallagher , coen , douglas ,Conor O'Shea , C freem and D oconnor.

I can t fathom what happened Gallagher after the start he made last spring. If he doesn t come through God help us.
Disappointing that Coen could not be used when things got serious after being in the panel for a while. Was he injured August?
They used to use Douglas as a sub for Ronaldson. Like for like? I d rate Ronaldson higher.
Cathal Freeman seems to be struggling to get back to form after that injury. He was always about guile and technique rather than pace.
O Shea and Diarmuid O Connor have to be nurtured but I still wonder who thought it was a good idea to start them v Roscommon in championship?

Nihilist

Quote from: moysider on November 15, 2014, 12:05:08 AM

Ronaldson - I think it was Johnno who used Ronaldson as some kind of water carrier alright.
The Johnno era was a disaster. The fact that Horan got us to touching distance of the summit after that disaster is one of the greatest feats in GAA management history.

Ronaldson was still involved under Horan s first spring. I was at a couple of those FBD games and he played well.

But he got beat up by Marc O Sé in the League match and don t think he was in the picture after. That s the way it goes. A year later Enda Varley got the mother and father of a doin in Ballyshannon but stayed in the picture. I d have always had Ronaldson before some who were favoured but that s the way it goes it seems. Everybody sees things differently.

You mention;  Ronadson, Adam gallagher , coen , douglas ,Conor O'Shea , C freem and D oconnor.

I can t fathom what happened Gallagher after the start he made last spring. If he doesn t come through God help us.
Disappointing that Coen could not be used when things got serious after being in the panel for a while. Was he injured August?
They used to use Douglas as a sub for Ronaldson. Like for like? I d rate Ronaldson higher.
Cathal Freeman seems to be struggling to get back to form after that injury. He was always about guile and technique rather than pace.
O Shea and Diarmuid O Connor have to be nurtured but I still wonder who thought it was a good idea to start them v Roscommon in championship?

I can understand why both O'Shea and O'Connor were thrown in. Both are big physical guys who will develop further as they get older and that's simply the level inter county GAA is at right now.   

Many of those other guys mentioned are simply too small or too slow to cut in at the business end of the Inter county season.

E.g. imo both Ronalsdson and Varley and are both good enough for FBD and probably League but on a fast pitch against big physical backs they are caught out. Same with Gallagher I thought. Good enough for League (early rounds maybe) but not good enough yet anyway for competing with the likes of other Provincial champions. Not sure he has the pace either. Maybe he could develop into a Brian Dooher or a Donnachadh Walsh but he needs a lot of physical conditioning to get to that level.

Darren Coen has been a bit of  a disapoinment that he has not seemed to developed after being part of the panel now for a few years.

moysider

Quote from: Nihilist on November 16, 2014, 09:00:17 PM

I can understand why both O'Shea and O'Connor were thrown in. Both are big physical guys who will develop further as they get older and that's simply the level inter county GAA is at right now.   

Many of those other guys mentioned are simply too small or too slow to cut in at the business end of the Inter county season.

E.g. imo both Ronalsdson and Varley and are both good enough for FBD and probably League but on a fast pitch against big physical backs they are caught out. Same with Gallagher I thought. Good enough for League (early rounds maybe) but not good enough yet anyway for competing with the likes of other Provincial champions. Not sure he has the pace either. Maybe he could develop into a Brian Dooher or a Donnachadh Walsh but he needs a lot of physical conditioning to get to that level.

Darren Coen has been a bit of  a disapoinment that he has not seemed to developed after being part of the panel now for a few years.

Hopefully they will develop further ( I must say I ve been impressed by O Connor in recent games for 'tuber). But the point is they hardly figured in league last year. They had their hands full in U21. They were way undercooked for Roscommon game and were not used again. Playing them only seemed to serve ruling them out for later. We ended up with guys in the panel that couldn t be used while Kerry's subs got them over the line in Limerick imo.

Gallagher has always had a serious engine and he s no slouch either. Didn t think Gallagher suffered from lack of size in matches I saw him in. Well able for it until somebody had the bright idea to play him in ff line ::)

Coen seems to lack the urgency. Quality but needs more bite. Is it in him? Same as Irwin. Talented but ?? over pace and aggression imo.

macdanger2

Gallagher looked the part in the early league games, would have been good to see him in the summer against top opposition. He's def one the new management should be looking to to freshen things up

Farrandeelin

What about Brendan Murray? He's on fire at the moment, or is he going to be disregarded because he's from Ballina? He was the differrence between Ballina winning and us losing today anyway. Any opinions from the Ballina contingent here?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Haven t seen a lot of club lately. Brendan would be a late developer. Big rangy lad and can kick a score. Worth keeping an eye on for sure.

Hard to know how to go about evaluating lads playing club, even at senior level. Knockmore and Ballina are well off vintage at the moment. Ballina should be better than what they have been at the last few years. Apart from 'tuber match Knockmore have held up well considering the quality players they've lost.

What about Murray impressed you 'deelin?

Nihilist

Quote from: moysider on November 16, 2014, 10:05:11 PM

Hopefully they will develop further ( I must say I ve been impressed by O Connor in recent games for 'tuber). But the point is they hardly figured in league last year. They had their hands full in U21. They were way undercooked for Roscommon game and were not used again. Playing them only seemed to serve ruling them out for later. We ended up with guys in the panel that couldn t be used while Kerry's subs got them over the line in Limerick imo.

Gallagher has always had a serious engine and he s no slouch either. Didn t think Gallagher suffered from lack of size in matches I saw him in. Well able for it until somebody had the bright idea to play him in ff line ::)

Coen seems to lack the urgency. Quality but needs more bite. Is it in him? Same as Irwin. Talented but ?? over pace and aggression imo.

I dunno can you take the second Kerry game as a good example. First of all let's be honest and we left it behind the in the first day in Croker. Then we had guys who only had a week to recover along with playing against the ref for 90 minutes.

I know Kerry had only a week as well but they hadn't been in the previous 2 finals not to mention the Castlebar contingent playing for nearly over 2 years consecutively  without a break because of the Club requirements.

Also I wouldn't agree O'Connor and O'Shea were undercooked. Maybe they seemed like that but at the end of the day offering 2 younger fringe guys their opportunity to play from the start in their first championship game against the likes of Ros should have been motivation on it's own to focus them and get them set for battle.

The alternative would be like throwing them in against lesser teams half-way through the second half when most games were or might have been already decided. the problem with that is that they look ok but learn nothing. And when push comes to shove those new don't really know or have what it takes to change games in a tight match.

Bottom line I think the exposure will stand to them. they know now the hits they will get at the start of the championship from a big physical team on their own patch. 

moysider

Quote from: Nihilist on November 16, 2014, 11:20:05 PM

I dunno can you take the second Kerry game as a good example. First of all let's be honest and we left it behind the in the first day in Croker. Then we had guys who only had a week to recover along with playing against the ref for 90 minutes.

I know Kerry had only a week as well but they hadn't been in the previous 2 finals not to mention the Castlebar contingent playing for nearly over 2 years consecutively  without a break because of the Club requirements.

Also I wouldn't agree O'Connor and O'Shea were undercooked. Maybe they seemed like that but at the end of the day offering 2 younger fringe guys their opportunity to play from the start in their first championship game against the likes of Ros should have been motivation on it's own to focus them and get them set for battle.

The alternative would be like throwing them in against lesser teams half-way through the second half when most games were or might have been already decided. the problem with that is that they look ok but learn nothing. And when push comes to shove those new don't really know or have what it takes to change games in a tight match.

Bottom line I think the exposure will stand to them. they know now the hits they will get at the start of the championship from a big physical team on their own patch.

Tbh I don t think that exposure against Ros. will matter much down the road. Anyway it was not about them.
Horan was in his fourth year and an AI was the bottom line. He ended up with a panel in which 4 of the forwards could not be used when it came to an AI semi final. The 2 lads were 2 of them. They were not near ready.

Nihilist

Quote from: moysider on November 16, 2014, 11:35:27 PM
Quote from: Nihilist on November 16, 2014, 11:20:05 PM

Tbh I don t think that exposure against Ros. will matter much down the road. Anyway it was not about them.
Horan was in his fourth year and an AI was the bottom line. He ended up with a panel in which 4 of the forwards could not be used when it came to an AI semi final. The 2 lads were 2 of them. They were not near ready.

Fair enough. But at the end of the day only 5 subs can come on. For instance Harrison came on in that replay but I thought he was reasonably  beaten when up against Barry John Keane. Not his fault - just not good enough yet at that level in my opinion. But he had looked a stand out find from last years League.

Point is I don't think that Gallagher or others new guys who did come into the panel in 2012/13 would have been any better.  Too soon for them and that's one of the things maybe Horan found out when he tried and played O'Connor and O'Shea against Ros. So he went back to what he believed were his strongest and most reliable guys to try and dig it out. 

moysider

That s the thing. The reliable guys all ended up having to be started and we had no back-up. I m talking about forwards. Kerry had unexceptional lads (not talking about Donaghy!) who came in and could put in a shift in the forwards when push came to shove.
Horan could have had a better forward bench but he did his thing. That s why Kerry win a soft AI (for them) and we can t ever win one.

rosnarun

what is the Story on Evan Regan at the moment is he in college or even in the country  ?  was he given one of the special programs to work on?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere