Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

What about Aiden Higgins in the cornerback position?? Howley for the halfbacks instead of Gardiner maybe? I'm usually not a fan of Aiden Higgins's but at least he can hit hard which was missing against Galway, ditto Howley.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Kevin McStay went to Kiltoom to see most of the Mayo v Laois challenge. While we shouldn't read too much into challenge games, and we don't know how much effort Laois put in, it's still positive!
In another article in The Mayo News, it looks like Higgins will definitely miss the first qualifier, but hopefully will be back for the next (if we get there).
Also, Austin O'Malley and Kenneth O'Malley have injuries too.

Mayo seem up to the next challenge
THERE is no such thing as a well-kept secret anymore. Especially in the GAA. The mobile phone, texting and e-mailing has removed any chance a squad might have of keeping an event, an arrangement or an incident strictly within the confines of the dressing room.
If it's Saturday it must be time for a trip to the shopping mall. Load up the car and face her for Athlone. And then the texting starts. Mayo has a challenge game in Kiltoom, could ya drop in for a peep? What is one to do? Only one thing of course: inform the wife you have a couple of urgent matters to attend to in the barracks, drop the gang off in Tescos and tear back to the venue!
Well, well, well. Some people think it's all over but if the evidence on show when Mayo matched up with Laois is anything to base that thought on, it might yet turn out to be very wrong indeed.
In a game spanning four quarters of 20 minutes (I missed most of the fourth quarter as wife began to text about 'urgent matters' I was attending to) the competitive nature of this so-called 'challenge' match was very apparent. Mayo played really well and looked hungry and enthusiastic for the road ahead.
It would be wrong to go into the detail of the performance; the Round 1 Qualifier opposition can do that piece of homework themselves, but suffice to say you will see a reconstructed Mayo 15 when they trot out for that backdoor game.
I liked the refit and the balance achieved was impressive. The half-back line was energetic and strong while Conor Mortimer was deadly in attack.
Austin O'Malley togged also and got his customary haul of a goal and a few points before limping off and so will be asking questions over the next few weeks. David Brady and David Heaney had a good game as the midfield pairing and overall the win was well deserved. Put it this way: if Laois are only a week away from championship action and Mayo can toy with them in this way, then I would fear for the midlanders.
Mayo? To get a view of the new canvas you will have to put on the colours once more and get behind the side on the Qualifier route. Chances are you will be impressed. Now, only thing we want is a home draw and keep away from Ulster teams.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

rosnarun

how big of suckers are we in mayo.
does anyone think one little article written by a biased ex-player about a friendly he saw 'most of' will make us start believing there is still something in it for mayo this year despite the brutal evidence of galway and (even more so after sunday) the shame of losing to donegal
Of course it will , I can't wait, most positive piece i've read this year
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

OirthearMhaigheo

I've long given up on reading anything major into challenge games, been suckered into believing in too many false dawns. I still think we will have a fair old cut at the c'ship this summer though, even if I can't see us going all the way and winning it, it will take a very good team to beat us. The Galway game seems like an eternity ago, hopefully the lads have that well and truly out of their system and a few of the problem positions have been worked on. This is probably blind optimism but we all need something to get through these times when there is little or no news about the team

Farrandeelin

I think we could take anyone, even Armagh whom I'd be most wary of in Castlebar. That's what's keeping me optimistic, the possibility of a home draw. And the hope that the players mightn't play as bad again and the possibility that Johnno might name a different team. That little article by McStay has increased the hope in this very pessimistic supporter.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 19, 2007, 07:52:49 PM
I think we could take anyone, even Armagh whom I'd be most wary of in Castlebar. That's what's keeping me optimistic, the possibility of a home draw. And the hope that the players mightn't play as bad again and the possibility that Johnno might name a different team. That little article by McStay has increased the hope in this very pessimistic supporter.
i'm not so sure..As Kevin said Laois are only one week away from the opening game of their season,i wonder how many Laois lads were giving 100 per cent? But hopefully im wrong.

Mayo4Sam

I think its obvious that a major cull will be made come round 1 of the qualifiers, cutting 4-5 players against galway and losing would have had everybody complaining, now he can dissect the team and for my money put out a team that will move thru the forwards a lot quicker. The qualifiers will give him a chance to iron out some/all of the issues. What good would beating Leitrim and sligo on the way to an all-ireland qualifier have been?

For my money i'd love armagh, the tougher the better in the first game, i'd seriously fancy us, flowed by a handier draw
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Davitt Man

MAYO continued their preparations for their upcoming All-Ireland SFC Qualifier with two challenge games in the past seven days, losing to Cavan and beating Laois, as John O'Mahony experimented ahead of the Qualifiers draw next Sunday.
A three-point defeat against Cavan last Tuesday evening in Kiltoom was followed by a nine-point win over Laois on Saturday at the same venue.
The likes of Ger Brady, Trevor Mortimer, Trevor Howley and Tom Cunniffe were all given an opportunity to impress in Mayo's defence during the course of the two games. Among those who held down positions in the attack at various stages were Aidan Campbell, Billy Padden and Austin O'Malley. Conor Mortimer was Mayo's top scorer in both matches.
On the injury front, Kenneth O'Malley didn't feature in either game as he is currently struggling with a recurrence of a groin injury. Austin O'Malley also limped out of Saturday's match and missed Louisburgh's Leo Kenny Cup Final defeat on Sunday as a result.

Whats going on, backs playing the forwards and forwards playing the backs, how can be making these drastic changes now in the middle of the summer, surely this experimenting should have been done in the FBD league and Nat League.

rosnarun

I actually quite like the Idea of gerbrrady as ahalf back . that was where he played in his 1st incarnation as a mayo footballer and was very impressive. he lacks a bit of guile to make he a true forward but his driving runs would i think be even more effective from his own half and would suit the may style well. he should definetly be an improvement on devenny

StoneWall

Anyone else feel that Dempsey his havin a pop at Ciaran Mc in this interview...

"I'm big into percentages and the outside of the boot shot, for example, is low in percentages. You very seldom see top-class footballers shooting those low percentage shots.
"Players have to think correctly under pressure. They have to do the right thing. I would never hold a fella back once it's for the good of the team but it has to be within a team framework."

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1781&Itemid=39

the Deel Rover

maybe but just because he couldn't do it himself ,if he was having a go all Ciaran mc would have to say is show me your medals and awards  both at club and county level ;) ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

rosnarun

yeah Mc should have been dropped after that Low percentage shot againt dublin last year what was he thinking.
though its sounds like dempsey is the type of manager some mayo people are shouting for, a dour characterless team who take no chances and drag us doen to Ulsters level

Barney

i don't think its fair on Dempsey to read that much into his comments. Obviously you can give the meaning that you want to them, but we have had our fair share of fancy Dans. There is substance to McDonald's style, and he can take and give the hits.

Any challenge arranged for this weeked?

A game in East Mayo or around Ros on Saturday afternoon would be perfect and then a spin up to the Hyde?

Looks like our mate Austie is all set for a crack at the qualifiers and the team seems to be shaping up somewhat like this:

Clarke

Howley
Liam O'Malley
Aidan Higgins

Trevor Mortimer
Cunniffe/Ger Brady (which I think would be a big mistake considering how lazy and yellow he is)/Heaney 
Gardiner

Heaney/Moran
Brady

Dillon
Brady/McDonald
Campbell

Mortimer
Billie Joe
McDonald

Possible spot for David Kilcullen also, I think he is a huge prospect but it is too soon for him to put down a marker when he was not involved in the league.

Serious questions need to be asked about why there is such a sea-change in approach this late in they year. There were enough signs during the league that were ignored. Why? The management have started off their championship lives on the wrong foot and have some convincing to do. The long-term should have been looked at from day 1 and the likes of Cunniffe, Kilcullen, Cafferkey, Hanley involved.

What's the story with Aidan Kilcoyne he seems to be out of favour altogether?

Barney

This is from the Laois Nationalist. I presum BJP will have a roving role at FF, sluggishly sweeping back in defence?

QuoteClash against Mayo made better men
By: Tomás Moore
Leinster Semi Final

WITH less than two weeks to go till the crunch decider against Wexford, the Laois management still have a number of headaches to cure before they go to battle in the Leinster semi final.

Injuries have blighted the progress all year with the likes of Barry Brennan, Gary Kavanagh and Tom Kelly having a stop start campaign to date. Brennan and Kelly are to be fit for the game with Wexford and this is a huge boost for the side. Barry Brennan did play full forward for the side when they played Mayo in a challenge game at the weekend. The reported score was 3-12 to 0-12 with Conor Mortimer and Austin O'Malley completely destroying the Laois defence.

Mayo employed a two man full forward line with Cathal Ryan and Paul Begley at the heart of the Laois defence, with Mortimer finishing with a tally of 2-6. This is naturally alarming as Laois will have to deal with the natural talents of Mattie Forde on Sunday week.

The game was played at four quarters, which lasted for 20 minutes each but it was Mayo who brought the championship intensity with them. John O'Mahoney's charges were completely shuffled from the defeat against Galway as he changed the whole half back line.

The midfield sector was intriguing with Brendan Quigley and Padraig Clancy rubbing shoulders against David Brady (34 years of age) and David Heaney. The latter won out and controlled the mid-field zone. The part-nership of Clancy and Quigley looks set to be reunited for the Wexford game with Noel Garvan's recent blow. As always nobody can read too much into challenge games but the Laois crowd will be hoping the Timahoe duo will peak for the Leinster final, if Laois can brush off the challenge of the Model County.

The inclusion of Brennan was interesting but so is the news that Donie Brennan came on for the O'Moore County and looked sharp and lively. The Arles Killeen attacker was also introduced in another recent game against Kerry. With the Croke Park pitch so wide, it could be an interesting thought for Kearns to have in his mind as Brennan has the skill and speed to take on most defenders.

Michael Tierney was again at his best and he played in his usual corner forward berth, his place is well cemented for the remainder of the championship. Ross Munnelly was again placed at half forward and was reported to have been quiet.

Everyone knows what Munnelly can do and many will be hoping he returns to his best for the remainder of the championship. An awful lot is put on his shoulders and maybe it is now time to pass the can on to someone else and let Munnelly do his job quietly and effectively. Colm Parkinson (played as a roving forward) is another player who played well against Mayo but he looks to be consigned to the bench for the semi final. To have a player of his calibre on the bench will be delightful for the fans.

Chris Conway and Joe Higgins started as substitutes but it is reported that the two stars are nursing minor knocks while Darren Rooney also played against Mayo.

It might have been only a challenge game but nobody wants to lose any game at this stage in the year.

Who will play full forward? Will we have anyone good enough to hold off Mattie Forde? Is Barry Brennan the solution to kick us to glory? Will Donie be the powerforce?

All these questions will soon be answered and no doubt Liam Kearns, Se·n Dempsey and Tommy Conroy are the men who are well capable of answering them

An Gaeilgoir

I agree with Barney about Ger Brady at center half back.The man cant tackle and never tracks back to help out in defence,he turns over the ball too easily as well. But besides all that he is perfect.