2008 Ryder Cup

Started by corn02, August 22, 2008, 03:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

I wouldn't actually have a problem if they picked him. The American and European media will be all over Harrington and his record in the Ryder Cup is only ok as it is. Monty would ease the pressure a bit in that regard.

Having said that all players reach their sell by date and it may be time to move on from old Grumpy, despite his great Ryder Cup record.

Europe actually look stronger on paper for once and if he goes with Clarke and Casey it will be a very strong team.

But I have a hunch he'll go with the 2 English boys, Casey and Poulter. Hope not though.
MWWSI 2017

corn02

Quote from: Hound on August 25, 2008, 04:51:34 PM
Been disappointed with Poulter since the Open. He knew (and he said it) that if he played reasonably well in the tournaments since then he'd make it into the automatic positions. But he hasn't done it.

Faldo is a knob alright. And not many like him. I seem to half remember something in a previous Ryder Cup involving a fax being ripped up. I can't really remember, but I think it was something along the lines that Faldo had been criticising the Europeans that they'd won no majors, and he may have even tipped the yanks - but on the morning of the Ryder Cup he sent a fax wishing the Europe team all the best - but it was ripped up. And it may have been Clarke who did the ripping. Anyone else recall something like that?

The Monty factor will also be big. If he's not picked there'll be uproar in the British press (most likely from the non-golf sports correspondents in the tabloids). Faldo might want to avoid that and so pick him. Dunno. I'd imagine the yanks would love to have him as the iconic figure they'd love to beat. Also after one of his recent wins Harrington was talking about the Ryder Cup as if it was a given that Monty was in. He was saying that Monty is the leader, but its maybe a role he'll have to take on in future (i.e. in 2 or 4 years).  

Faldo has a history of alienating opponents. I believe he was one of the most disliked players when playing - suppose he got the success and that is all that matters.

Monty may not be so popular this year in the media following an incident at the Scottish Opne (I think it was the SO anyway) where he was an ignorant dog to a BBC sound technician. BBC certainly won't be plugging him for a wildcard - there was a stinging column about him on the site at the time. Monty has went from funnily grumpy to annoyingly ignorant.

ludermor

poulter has withdrawn from the last qualifying tournament so he can play in 2 tournaments in the staes. Chasing the dollar rather than the ryder cup. It should be the nail in the coffin of his hopes unless Faldo has assured him of the one of the wildcards ( which i would not agree with)

Hound

Quote from: ludermor on August 25, 2008, 10:54:59 PM
poulter has withdrawn from the last qualifying tournament so he can play in 2 tournaments in the staes. Chasing the dollar rather than the ryder cup. It should be the nail in the coffin of his hopes unless Faldo has assured him of the one of the wildcards ( which i would not agree with)
Casey did the same, and Poulter is far higher in the two tables than Casey is.

Longshanks

I'd be really surprised if Poulter wasn't picked, there must be some sort of agreement in place..

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Would be fantastic if Clarke and McGinley were both included, but I think that 4 Irish lads (will inc McDowell!) would be too much.
Plus I think McGinley would have to win in Gleneagles.
Tbc....

Yes I Would

Surely Mc Ginleys past record in previous Ryders should carry alot of weight in the decision making process.
Experience and bottle will be vital. Hard to know how Faldo will call it, but i would have thought another solid showing by Mc Ginley this weekend should at least put him in the reckoning.

Lecale2

How does the table stand now? Who can qualify if they win at the weekend?

Puckoon

Quote from: ludermor on August 25, 2008, 10:54:59 PM

Faldo is full time commenting for CBS in the states here - it could be that Casey and Poulter figured they may as well go for the big bucks and have the captain see them playing in the flesh.

corn02

Lads there is as much chance of me getting picked than McGinley getting the nod.

turk

I'll put my hands up here - I like Monty. He's been class in the Ryder cups for Europe.

full back

Fancy Poulter & Casey to go

stephenite

Monty is way off form though and has been for some time - and that counts for a lot in golf.

Says I the beginner :-\

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Monty has said publicly that he would be happy to take the Vice Captains role if he's not picked - ideal excuse for Faldo not to pick him for the first time in something like 16 years, would soften the media backlash (he's an ignorant grumpy aul hoor anyway).
Tbc....

corn02

I honestly think the media would not make a big of a fuss - he has alienated a lot of the press over the last year. Clarke very short odds to get picked.