Plan for Mosque near Ground Zero

Started by Hedley Lamarr, May 18, 2010, 06:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandwiches_in_the_boot

I don't see what difference there would be if a mosque, chapel or a synagogue was built beside ground zero... same god.

If you want to talk about poor taste, how about all those street traders, selling WTC merchandise months after it happened.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

PadraicHenryPearse

ok TO, whats your opinions????

I don't see why is it an issue at all. The mosque pre-dates the wtc. How big is Ground Zero? What is an exceptable amount of blocks to be away from Ground Zero.?I believe the mosque is to be located 2 blocks from the corner of what was the north tower and is 4 blocks from the memorial. The name has already been changed as it caused a stir, even though there was nothing wrong with it, only mis-informed public opinion helped by Fox news constant feed of this mis-information made them change the name and yet Fox still refers to it by its previous name.

Also, it is not a Mosque but a Islamic centre, there is two floors for prayers, there will be a cooking school......

J70

This is one of the most ridiculous non-issues being hyped beyond belief that I've ever heard of, with bigots and opportunists jumping on it as a wedge issue in election season.

The only way opposition to this makes sense in terms of the location is if the religion of islam and muslims in general are collectively guilty or guilty by association with regards to 9/11. I wish the Democrats would show a bit more balls like Bloomberg has and come out unequivocally in favour of letting it go ahead. If the Republicans want to make it a wedge issue, either because a given candidate is a bigot or because he is a cynical opportunist willing to sell his soul, then let them. Given the ignorance and bigotry of many Americans when it comes to other religious groupings, it may work against the Democrats, but principles should stand for something. I'll not hold my breath though...

Celt_Man

Quote from: J70 on August 20, 2010, 02:49:55 AM
This is one of the most ridiculous non-issues being hyped beyond belief that I've ever heard of, with bigots and opportunists jumping on it as a wedge issue in election season.

The only way opposition to this makes sense in terms of the location is if the religion of islam and muslims in general are collectively guilty or guilty by association with regards to 9/11. I wish the Democrats would show a bit more balls like Bloomberg has and come out unequivocally in favour of letting it go ahead. If the Republicans want to make it a wedge issue, either because a given candidate is a bigot or because he is a cynical opportunist willing to sell his soul, then let them. Given the ignorance and bigotry of many Americans when it comes to other religious groupings, it may work against the Democrats, but principles should stand for something. I'll not hold my breath though...

I saw a very brief interview with the mayor where he basically summed up the situation and shot down any notion of moving the mosque in one sentence. 

I would agree though this is more than a wee bit of a non issue...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

deiseach

Kudos to Bloomberg. A brave and principled move

PadraicHenryPearse

Tyrones own

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on August 23, 2010, 02:00:59 AM
bump for To.....
:D WTF...is it all of a sudden important to ye now what I think ???
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

PadraicHenryPearse

as you are the self appointed Osama basher and ring wing person on the board. I asked on another thread and you asked me to start a new one, there was one going so i bumped it to the top for your opinion. I watch Fox and i would like to see if you are of a similar opinion. i like to think i try and gather all sides of an argument and don't blindly follow one news source.....

Like Glen Beck always says question everything....

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: J70 on August 20, 2010, 02:49:55 AM

Agree 100%. Couldnt have put it better myself
Hasta la victoria siempre

Tyrones own

Quoteas you are the self appointed Osama basher
Oops  :P think you meant Obama..cause I don't believe I've mentioned the other nut in a couple of years!
Quoteand ring wing person on the board.
Been labeled manys a thing on here by the usual suspects but that's a new on one me :D
QuoteI asked on another thread and you asked me to start a new one
Yes and do you remember why I supported your  idea of starting the new thread?
Quotethere was one going so i bumped it to the top for your opinion
Could be wrong on this but I believe it was Hedly that bumped that for ye!
QuoteI watch Fox and i would like to see if you are of a similar opinion.
Yes and you wonder why I'm uninterested in handing you a big lump of a stick to beat me with
regardless as to how I'd answer that...do you think I'm new to this or something ::)
QuoteLike Glen Beck always says question everything....
It's Glenn (thought you watched him) and it's question with Boldness
as in the great words from the Great Thomas Jefferson 8)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

PadraicHenryPearse

Wow... didn't expect that...

Yes in error i typed Osama instead of Obama but obviously you understood.

Fair enough. Just say you don't want to give your opinion, no need to correct every little thing in my post. Yes, someone else bumped it, and i bumped it a second time. Yes, i left an 'n' off Glenn Beck, just because i mis-typed doesn't mean i don't watch him (strange conclusion), oh and by the way i don't watch him very often anymore as i cannot stomach him for long periods.

Ah poor you "a stick to beat you with", i am just wondering do you have different opinions on everything to me ( and it seems a lot of others on the board) or are you just like Fox and spin everything to be anti-Obama etc...

I can see why there are differing opinions on economy etc.. and can see where people are coming from, even if i disagree with them. I have shared my opinions, sorry you are uncomfortable to share yours.

lynchbhoy

with this islamic centre beside 'ground zero'
and the oil spill in mexican gulf
with his comments and centre spotlight cameo in the israeli/pali peace talks -
obama has been afforded a couple of diversions from his real job of supposedly running the country and getting the us economy back on track.

hopefully its 'has to get worse before it gets better' and is in the 'got worse' stage of this and will head for 'getting better' soon, as we in Ireland need the knock on effect sooner rather than later !

thejuice

Do any of the balloons that are giving out about this realise that there were people of Islamic faith who were working in the WTC that day that lost their lives that day too. They worked there just like every one else not viewing the WTC as some sort of manifestation of "Western greed"

Islam is just as violent as Christianity or Nationalism or whatever way people decide to divide and distance themselves from others and when any sort of reasoning is abandoned.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

J70

If we weren't two months from the election, there'd be hardly a word about it.