The Premier League relegation thread.

Started by Ping Pong Santa, April 18, 2009, 11:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ping Pong Santa

After watching Match of the Day I must say I would really like to see Middlesborough escape. I think Gareth Southgate is a very honest manager, you never hear any bullshit or mind games coming from him. I also like the way they try to win every game (albeit usually unsuccessfully).

West Brom are doomed obviously, I think I wouldn't mind Sunderland staying up as well.

I don't buy into this whole 'Newcastle are too good to go down' crap. They deserve to be where they are and frankly I don't think it would be any great loss if they went down, hopefully bringing any future career in management for Shearer down with them.

Other than that either Blackburn or Hull for me!

What do you think?

Ping Pong Santa

It isn't really realistic though only two of them are gonna go down.

I actually don't think Shearer really looks like he knows what hes doing.

Farrandeelin

I hope Middlesbrough, Newcastle (and well poor old WBA are gone now aren't they) all go down
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

Same reason why I wanted Southampton to go down. They always seem to just about survive or never get above mid-table. That's all.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Owenmoresider

West Brom are gone again anyway. Hull I think are on a serious slide and all it would take is a win or two each for Newcastle and Boro and that's them going down IMO. Similiar to Reading last year, went on a slide and slid right out of the league.

But that apart, I would enjoy seeing the joke that is Newcastle United FC going down. Normally I would like to see Boro fall, as they are pure midtable non-entities with a half-empty ground, but not this time. Shearer the messiah (or the second messiah, after Keegan) to be exposed as having feet of clay for me.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 18, 2009, 11:39:53 PM
Same reason why I wanted Southampton to go down. They always seem to just about survive or never get above mid-table. That's all.
And now they look set for another drop down to the third tier, with the team that personified midtable shiteness - Charlton - already going down today.

Caid

I hope West Brom, Middlesborough and Blackburn go down

Boro cause they usually do well against Man U
B'Burn cause they deserve all they get after appointing Ince at the start of the season
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Ping Pong Santa

Quote from: Caid on April 18, 2009, 11:45:13 PM
I hope West Brom, Middlesborough and Blackburn go down

Boro cause they usually do well against Man U
B'Burn cause they deserve all they get after appointing Ince at the start of the season

Yeah and then appointing that crooked Cromwell head.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: hardstation on April 18, 2009, 11:49:36 PM
Norwich, Southampton and Charlton in the shit. Strange that all 3 have been in the Premiership not too long ago.
And just above them are Forest, Barnsley and Coventry, all also late of the Premiership. Leicester are on their way to the Championship again incidentally.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Well as one of the trivia questions last night pointed out, there have been 42 clubs in the Premier League since its inception so its going to be more and more unusual for them all to be in the top 2 flights.

Always like to see the promoted teams stay up but WBA are doomed and Hull are in such bad form that its looking very bleak for them. One win since December and even that was a last minute winner.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

FermPundit

Quote from: Owenmoresider on April 18, 2009, 11:57:49 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 18, 2009, 11:49:36 PM
Norwich, Southampton and Charlton in the shit. Strange that all 3 have been in the Premiership not too long ago.
And just above them are Forest, Barnsley and Coventry, all also late of the Premiership. Leicester are on their way to the Championship again incidentally.

That's why teams are so afraid of getting relegated. Once you go into the championship, there's no guarantee that you won't go into freefall. Everyone argues that Newcastle are too big to go down but tell that to any Leeds fan.

Talking of relegation, given the amount of money involved in football these days, do you ever think they'll do away with relegation from the top division and operate the premier league on a franchise basis like they do in rugby league (super league)?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Minder

Wouldnt mind seeing Fat Sam and Phil Brown taking Blackburn and Hull down,and they can take their ear pieces and sports science with them.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Caid

Quote from: FermPundit on April 19, 2009, 12:03:25 AM
Talking of relegation, given the amount of money involved in football these days, do you ever think they'll do away with relegation from the top division and operate the premier league on a franchise basis like they do in rugby league (super league)?

No
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

RedandGreenSniper

I agree with Ping Pong. Southgate is one of the good guys and while Boro can be poor to watch, I'd warm to them a lot quicker than Newcastle with Shearer and Blackburn. Not sure about Hull - its a real romantic notion that they're in the premiership but Phil Brown is a twat and after linking himself with the England job, it would be funny to see it all go Pete Tong for him.

Ping Pong and Pete Tong in the one post ;D
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year