Ogra Sinn Fein and their Commemoration at Narrow Water

Started by DownFanatic, January 08, 2009, 07:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 23, 2009, 05:33:46 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on January 23, 2009, 02:18:47 PM
Whilst it is generally true that attitudes need to change before conditions will, nonetheless when someone like Lynchboy posts "The scenario in the north of Ireland is such that it will take mindsets to change , that gestures etc wont ever affect", imo he is using this as a cop-out for avoiding making any significant changes, for any reason. That is because his posts reveal to me a consistent refusal to alter his hardline mindset with regard to any such issue.
And this reluctance to countenance any change is invariably based on the premise that "Sure whatever we do, we'll never please Themmuns". Which itself is premised on the notion "... because Themmuns is all the same".

Of course, there are many on the Unionist side who, even if the GAA were to introduce reform on such matters, would doubtless dismiss it as mere windowdressing i.e. "Sure Themmuns is still the same Republicans they alway were etc".
As such, such hardliners are actually no different from each other - an irony which is no doubt lost on all of them.

However, from reading this Board, one of the things I have learned/had reinforced, is that not everyone amongst "Themmuns" thinks exactly the same, just as I know that not everyone of "Ussuns" is e.g. a card-carrying Paisleyite Fenian-hater etc.
The word 'drivel ' springs to mind ....no actual reasoning - merely trying to make a subjective case for something that doesn't exist.

Therefore, if an organisation such as the GAA genuinely wishes to cross the divide and invite significant cross-community participation etc, I believe it can be achieved - the only question is how long this might take. Now Lynchboy, I think, upholds the notion that in the absence of any movement by the GAA, time alone may somehow engender the change of mindset required from Unionists for them to join in in Gaelic Games. Personally, I cannot decide whether he truly means that (possibly on the basis that it'll be decades before it happens, so the status quo will happily see him out), or whether he secretly believes (hopes?) it will never happen.  Anyhow, it is my personal opinion that if he is expecting NI Unionists to "jump first", in the absence of any movement from the GAA, then I suspect Ireland will be flooded by Global Warming before that ever happens!
Again incorrectly trying to apply his subjective negativity about me here , obv taking it personally and missing the point
Anyhow the bit in bold answers the actual question – identifying that I am correct in saying that realistically it is going to take a long time (how much garbage did he have to write to hide or get to this point ! :D . As for the other assertions, again – shouldn't take it so personally if you are caught out!

How to solve this conundrum? In an ideal world, both sides would "hold hands and jump together", a principle which I would basically support. Of course like Apple Pie and Motherhood, "jumping together" is all very well in principle, but harder to achieve in practice. But to take the example of GAA club names, the view of this Unionist is as follows. If I had a kid who was interested in GAA, I would not permit him to play in a League/Championship/Competition/Stadium etc which was named after someone like Kevin Lynch, who as far as I can see, is primarily being "honoured" not for his prowess on the pitch, or his contribution towards GAA in Dungiven, but for his involvement in the INLA etc. Similarly, I would not let the same kid have anything to do with soccer, if it meant coming up against something like "Billy Wright Memorial FC" etc. This is both because I find it completely unacceptable for such individuals to be commemorated in such a way, but also because more generally, I believe that sport (of any code) should avoid embracing politics wherever possible.
::)Sigh, that's what you would like to think, re-read again your own drivel about us-ones and them ones etc...

That said, since we are all forced to live in the real world where not everything is always possible, a degree of latitude and tolerance needs to be maintained. And on the subject of contentious club names, I understand and accept that the clubs in question will be resistant to making changes - especially at the behest of someone like me. Therefore, out of respect for the History and traditions of the GAA (even if it is history and tradition with which I personally cannot empathise), I would propose the following rule of thumb. Namely, it should be acceptable for clubs to commemorate individuals who lived and died before any of us were born, but avoid individuals whose activities directly affected people alive in the present day. Therefore, clubs named after e.g. Wolfe Tone or Sir Roger Casement ought not to have to change, whereas those such as Kevin Lynch should. (And btw, no-one but Lynchboy is suggesting that there should be a wholesale renaming of clubs as Rhinos, Bears, Eagles etc, I daresay Dungiven Gaels, Harps or St. Patricks etc would suit fine).

So there you have it, Lar. Of course, in advocating "jumping together" someone still has to reach their hand out first, before approaching the edge together. Who might that be? I would suggest it needs to be the GAA, for the simple reason that if they want to be truly "cross-community" in NI, then if they don't reach out first, it simply won't happen. (After all, people like me are forever being told that as non-members, we have no right to tell the GAA what they must do, which I accept)

But as someone from the community to which the GAA asserts it wants to "reach out", my response would be simple: "You may have your Nationalist ethos*, but not Unionists, or, you may have Unionists, but not your Nationalist ethos. That is, you cannot have it both ways, but you do have a choice".

And in the meantime, soccer fans like myself who decry the mixing of sport with politics and religion etc, will take (a selfish) comfort from the knowledge that we may always appeal to "your" Pat Jennings or Gerry Armstrong, but GAA will never appeal to "our" George Best or David Healy (sorry for the use of crude terminology, btw).

Back to you.

* - Which is not to say that the GAA should be required to rewrite or airbrush their history and traditions etc entirely, btw. I believe it would do people from my community a power of good if they were to know more about the history and traditions of your community. Consequently, if I ask that they not be waved in my face in the normal run of things, neither can I have any objection to this type of thing having pride of place in the History Books, or the Museum in Croke Park etc.

A simple answer of – 'it will take time, and no – the renaming of clubs wouldn't have any effect' , a two liner would have done !  :D
You didn't even have to point out that I was correct!
Interesting that the likes of Wolfe tone or casement are ok, it proves again my point that in a couple of generations time, the McAnespies  club, Kevin Lynch hurling club etc etc will be equally as acceptable , with the passing of time!
;)

You really don't get it, do you? My post was in response to an enquiry by Lar Naparka. As such, it was intended to provide him and others who may be interested with my analysis of what Unionists may think about such matters. I do not, however, consider you to be someone who is "interested", since you clearly take no notice of what I actually post, as evidenced by typical and predictable responses, which make little or no attempt at serious analysis, reasoning or rebuttal, but instead invariably consist of meaningless epithets, cliches and ad hominem attacks.

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 23, 2009, 05:49:46 PM
expect your szicho self to be posting shortly too... :D
In post #259 (above), I asked you the following simple question: "So as there be no room for misunderstanding, are/were you implying that I am actually Myles Na G?"

Since you are normally so fond of one word responses ("rubbish", "drivel", "liar" etc), any chance of a simple "Yes" or "No" to this one?  ;)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 23, 2009, 06:25:37 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 23, 2009, 05:33:46 PM
Whilst it is generally true that attitudes need to change before conditions will, nonetheless when someone like Lynchboy posts "The scenario in the north of Ireland is such that it will take mindsets to change , that gestures etc wont ever affect", imo he is using this as a cop-out for avoiding making any significant changes, for any reason. That is because his posts reveal to me a consistent refusal to alter his hardline mindset with regard to any such issue.
And this reluctance to countenance any change is invariably based on the premise that "Sure whatever we do, we'll never please Themmuns". Which itself is premised on the notion "... because Themmuns is all the same".

Of course, there are many on the Unionist side who, even if the GAA were to introduce reform on such matters, would doubtless dismiss it as mere windowdressing i.e. "Sure Themmuns is still the same Republicans they alway were etc".
As such, such hardliners are actually no different from each other - an irony which is no doubt lost on all of them.

However, from reading this Board, one of the things I have learned/had reinforced, is that not everyone amongst "Themmuns" thinks exactly the same, just as I know that not everyone of "Ussuns" is e.g. a card-carrying Paisleyite Fenian-hater etc.
The word 'drivel ' springs to mind ....no actual reasoning - merely trying to make a subjective case for something that doesn't exist.

Therefore, if an organisation such as the GAA genuinely wishes to cross the divide and invite significant cross-community participation etc, I believe it can be achieved - the only question is how long this might take. Now Lynchboy, I think, upholds the notion that in the absence of any movement by the GAA, time alone may somehow engender the change of mindset required from Unionists for them to join in in Gaelic Games. Personally, I cannot decide whether he truly means that (possibly on the basis that it'll be decades before it happens, so the status quo will happily see him out), or whether he secretly believes (hopes?) it will never happen.  Anyhow, it is my personal opinion that if he is expecting NI Unionists to "jump first", in the absence of any movement from the GAA, then I suspect Ireland will be flooded by Global Warming before that ever happens!
Again incorrectly trying to apply his subjective negativity about me here , obv taking it personally and missing the point
Anyhow the bit in bold answers the actual question – identifying that I am correct in saying that realistically it is going to take a long time (how much garbage did he have to write to hide or get to this point ! :D . As for the other assertions, again – shouldn't take it so personally if you are caught out!

How to solve this conundrum? In an ideal world, both sides would "hold hands and jump together", a principle which I would basically support. Of course like Apple Pie and Motherhood, "jumping together" is all very well in principle, but harder to achieve in practice. But to take the example of GAA club names, the view of this Unionist is as follows. If I had a kid who was interested in GAA, I would not permit him to play in a League/Championship/Competition/Stadium etc which was named after someone like Kevin Lynch, who as far as I can see, is primarily being "honoured" not for his prowess on the pitch, or his contribution towards GAA in Dungiven, but for his involvement in the INLA etc. Similarly, I would not let the same kid have anything to do with soccer, if it meant coming up against something like "Billy Wright Memorial FC" etc. This is both because I find it completely unacceptable for such individuals to be commemorated in such a way, but also because more generally, I believe that sport (of any code) should avoid embracing politics wherever possible.
::)Sigh, that's what you would like to think, re-read again your own drivel about us-ones and them ones etc...

That said, since we are all forced to live in the real world where not everything is always possible, a degree of latitude and tolerance needs to be maintained. And on the subject of contentious club names, I understand and accept that the clubs in question will be resistant to making changes - especially at the behest of someone like me. Therefore, out of respect for the History and traditions of the GAA (even if it is history and tradition with which I personally cannot empathise), I would propose the following rule of thumb. Namely, it should be acceptable for clubs to commemorate individuals who lived and died before any of us were born, but avoid individuals whose activities directly affected people alive in the present day. Therefore, clubs named after e.g. Wolfe Tone or Sir Roger Casement ought not to have to change, whereas those such as Kevin Lynch should. (And btw, no-one but Lynchboy is suggesting that there should be a wholesale renaming of clubs as Rhinos, Bears, Eagles etc, I daresay Dungiven Gaels, Harps or St. Patricks etc would suit fine).

So there you have it, Lar. Of course, in advocating "jumping together" someone still has to reach their hand out first, before approaching the edge together. Who might that be? I would suggest it needs to be the GAA, for the simple reason that if they want to be truly "cross-community" in NI, then if they don't reach out first, it simply won't happen. (After all, people like me are forever being told that as non-members, we have no right to tell the GAA what they must do, which I accept)

But as someone from the community to which the GAA asserts it wants to "reach out", my response would be simple: "You may have your Nationalist ethos*, but not Unionists, or, you may have Unionists, but not your Nationalist ethos. That is, you cannot have it both ways, but you do have a choice".

And in the meantime, soccer fans like myself who decry the mixing of sport with politics and religion etc, will take (a selfish) comfort from the knowledge that we may always appeal to "your" Pat Jennings or Gerry Armstrong, but GAA will never appeal to "our" George Best or David Healy (sorry for the use of crude terminology, btw).

Back to you.

* - Which is not to say that the GAA should be required to rewrite or airbrush their history and traditions etc entirely, btw. I believe it would do people from my community a power of good if they were to know more about the history and traditions of your community. Consequently, if I ask that they not be waved in my face in the normal run of things, neither can I have any objection to this type of thing having pride of place in the History Books, or the Museum in Croke Park etc.

A simple answer of – 'it will take time, and no – the renaming of clubs wouldn't have any effect' , a two liner would have done !  :D
You didn't even have to point out that I was correct!
Interesting that the likes of Wolfe tone or casement are ok, it proves again my point that in a couple of generations time, the McAnespies  club, Kevin Lynch hurling club etc etc will be equally as acceptable , with the passing of time!
;)

You really don't get it, do you? My post was in response to an enquiry by Lar Naparka. As such, it was intended to provide him and others who may be interested with my analysis of what Unionists may think about such matters. I do not, however, consider you to be someone who is "interested", since you clearly take no notice of what I actually post, as evidenced by typical and predictable responses, which make little or no attempt at serious analysis, reasoning or rebuttal, but instead invariably consist of meaningless epithets, cliches and ad hominem attacks.
I think your intentional misinterpretation and misrepresentation of my idea (that Lar expanded on) gave me enough justification to reply, plus as you may know - this is a discussion forumn, you cannot tell people who and where they can/cannot respond - your ship has sailed with that old privilege !
again , I set out a clear rationale that shows my  interest and opinion of what the reality is on what will happen in the future.
so whichever one of you wishes to reply to this should you have some other facile need to I dont mind.
However it seems your fixation on tony is turning onto me now, quoting and mentioning me rather a lot in your more recent posts !
:o
:D

Evil Genius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 23, 2009, 07:33:47 PM

I think your intentional misinterpretation and misrepresentation of my idea (that Lar expanded on) gave me enough justification to reply, plus as you may know - this is a discussion forumn, you cannot tell people who and where they can/cannot respond - your ship has sailed with that old privilege !
again , I set out a clear rationale that shows my  interest and opinion of what the reality is on what will happen in the future.
so whichever one of you wishes to reply to this should you have some other facile need to I dont mind.
You can post whatever you like - knock yourself out. But be aware that when I do respond these days, it is invariably in order to make a point for the benefit of other  readers who may be interested, since it is clear that there is no way I can ever get through to someone with your fixed mindset.
However it seems your fixation on tony is turning onto me now, quoting and mentioning me rather a lot in your more recent posts !
Flatter yourself if you must. But in the meantime, why are you still dodging my simple question? In case you've forgotten (for the third or fourth time), it's:
"So as there be no room for misunderstanding, are/were you implying that I am actually Myles Na G?"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 23, 2009, 07:41:57 PM

You can post whatever you like - knock yourself out. But be aware that when I do respond these days, it is invariably in order to make a point for the benefit of other  readers who may be interested, since it is clear that there is no way I can ever get through to someone with your fixed mindset.
Flatter yourself if you must. But in the meantime, why are you still dodging my simple question? In case you've forgotten (for the third or fourth time), it's:
"So as there be no room for misunderstanding, are/were you implying that I am actually Myles Na G?"
flattering yourself there I see
dont take yourself so seriously - the rest of us dont - esp based on your 'content' !

you post was almost worthy of an 'irony' alert !
still , you ignore points and valid 'interest' / opinion/views etc and label folks as having fixed mindset where in the prev page or so its clear to all and sundry that a rational unbiased opinion has been given.
speaks volumes about you though. Whinge about it when its not forthcoming, yet blindly ignore and refuse to acknowledge when its given !
I think I recall this kind of behaviour a year or two ago, something to do with requesting photographic evidence!
:D :D

superb  :D

Evil Genius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 23, 2009, 07:52:55 PM
dont take yourself so seriously - the rest of us dont - esp based on your 'content' !

still , you ignore points and valid 'interest' / opinion/views etc and label folks as having fixed mindset where in the prev page or so its clear to all and sundry that a rational unbiased opinion has been given.
speaks volumes about you though. Whinge about it when its not forthcoming, yet blindly ignore and refuse to acknowledge when its given !
I think I recall this kind of behaviour a year or two ago, something to do with requesting photographic evidence!

Whatever. Meanwhile, are you still trying to dodge my earlier question? Just in case it's slipped your mind again, it was:
Don't worry if you need time to think about it; I'm off now for an appointment with a bottle of wine (or two), so there's no hurry, tomorrow or the next day will do...
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 23, 2009, 08:26:14 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 23, 2009, 07:52:55 PM

Whatever. Meanwhile, are you still trying to dodge my earlier question? Just in case it's slipped your mind again, it was:
Don't worry if you need time to think about it; I'm off now for an appointment with a bottle of wine (or two), so there's no hurry, tomorrow or the next day will do...
watching too much of 'high school musical ' or some other whimsical us teen dialogued show it seems !   :D

opened a nice 'right bank' red a short while ago myself ! Though am wondering should I be wary now that you are disclosing social/domestic
activities  and youve effectively admitted that you have dual personality issues !

Main Street

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 23, 2009, 02:36:40 PM
In his post # 240, Lynchboy implied that "Myles Na G" is actually the alter ago of another member, whom I took to be me. And you appeared to back him up on this in post #242 (albeit obliquely).

Am I correct in what I surmised?
Sometime you even base an argument on the "facts" arising from your surmises :)

No I haven't a clue who Lynchboy is thinking of as the alter ego. It is news to me that you were in the running.

I would be in the Laoislad Gresham Syndrome category on the matter of identities.
Lynchboy could be nudging me vigorously, hinting  who it is followed by more fecking hints in a louder slower voice and I still would be none the wiser. I would have to wait until he actually spelt it out for me.

Main Street

Because there is a club named after Kevin Lynch,
Myles takes that as evidence that the GAA do not recognise that there are people living with the legacy of the recent conflict and it follows that he considers the GAA to be Sinn Fein in football boots.

He wrote as much to explain why he was not associated with the GAA now but he was associated in some form with the GAA before the age of 12, a time before he said he had developed political opinions.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on January 24, 2009, 11:56:35 AM
Because there is a club named after Kevin Lynch,
Myles takes that as evidence that the GAA do not recognise that there are people living with the legacy of the recent conflict and it follows that he considers the GAA to be Sinn Fein in football boots.

He wrote as much to explain why he was not associated with the GAA now but he was associated in some form with the GAA before the age of 12, a time before he said he had developed political opinions.
hardly much of an example of why a whole organisation, or even its ulster council , being a 'political' entity or '...sf in football boots..'
if the entire rationale revolves around a few clubs named after more recent republicans! (plus we have seen that the same kind of men from previous republican generations have clubs in their honour but dont cause consternation - which will be the case for the current number of men who give patronage to clubs - so it will soon be a non existent problem).

Anyhow the Lynch case is actually different again as he was venerated because of his superb skill in a young emerging hurling community that was only beginning in Derry. His selection to the Feile 'all stars' which was a nationwide nationally selected side would back this up - not the assertions of a dual identitied poster that is using one moniker to back up the other (with a few of the cavalry/keystone cops to jump in and further vent their misinformed 'opinions'!).

While I can understand what jim74 is saying about this inflaming or giving cause for unionists/loyalists to be 'offended' or take offence (plus there were some nationalists that were affected by millitant republican actions also) it still does not make the GAA political, with sf having no say in the GAA administration etc.
unlike maybe the soccer/ ifa etc, the tail does not wag the dog in GAA circles.

Main Street

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 24, 2009, 12:17:45 PM

hardly much of an example of why a whole organisation, or even its ulster council , being a 'political' entity or '...sf in football boots..'

It is enough reason for Myles  -----------  and his alter ego  :)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on January 24, 2009, 12:37:33 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 24, 2009, 12:17:45 PM

It is enough reason for Myles  -----------  and his alter ego  :)

as it was for his other persona multiple times previous on this board , but again I would state that this is feigning or 'taking' offence rather than it actually offending !
Just looking for excuses to underpin his/their vendetta to try and equate the GAA's open to all policy with the failed ifa 'soccer for all' fiasco !
THATS what its all about !

Lar Naparka

Therefore, if an organisation such as the GAA genuinely wishes to cross the divide and invite significant cross-community participation etc, I believe it can be achieved - the only question is how long this might take. Now Lynchboy, I think, upholds the notion that in the absence of any movement by the GAA, time alone may somehow engender the change of mindset required from Unionists for them to join in in Gaelic Games. Personally, I cannot decide whether he truly means that (possibly on the basis that it'll be decades before it happens, so the status quo will happily see him out), or whether he secretly believes (hopes?) it will never happen.  Anyhow, it is my personal opinion that if he is expecting NI Unionists to "jump first", in the absence of any movement from the GAA, then I suspect Ireland will be flooded by Global Warming before that ever happens!

Back to you.

[/size]

Thanks, EG.
I found your response to my request very interesting and informative indeed. I appreciate the time and trouble involved.
I feel it contained nothing that surprised me or made me feel that any initiative to bring the Unionist community in the North and the GAA closer together might be dead in the water, right from the start.
I suppose it's fair to say your response would be typical of what could be expected from middle-ground Unionism. I mean, as you mentioned, there will be hardliners involved on both sides who are actually no different from each other.
Hardliners will contribute nothing positive to any project or initiative in general that seeks to promote close links between both traditions. One can only hope their intransigence doesn't stall any attempts at greater co-operation and understanding between the parties.
I think we can discount the number on either side who would be happy to seek closer links without further ado. I doubt if any such people exist.
So it has to be those on the middle ground on both sides who make their voices heard. 
I think you have put together a fine exposition of the Unionist case, if I'm allowed to use that term.  It might be surprising to many that a case to be argued from the Nationalist side would focus on the same areas of contention. Both sides can see most of the major problems. The trouble may lie in finding ways to resolve them.
I imagine that lynchbhoy and you are not that far apart- at least you both can indentify the areas where problems could arise; now, if progress is to be made in this matter, people must try and reach agreed solutions to such problems.
I would really like to see a considered assessment of how matters look from a Nationalist viewpoint and I think lynchbhoy would be the very man to provide it.
Coming from different traditions, it is obvious that Unionists and Nationalists view matters differently but from the excerpts I have quoted from one of lb's posts and from your studied reply, I can see a fair degree of common ground or at least areas that could be explored together.
For one thing, I am assuming that lynchbhoy, when suggesting names such as eagles or rhinos, was merely emphasising that those names would make no difference whatever to the attitude of the Unionist community. I think, from what I read into his post, that he'd be confident that names such as you suggest, (Dungiven Gaels etc.) would break no ice with your fellow-Unionists either.
I already know that many within the GAA would feel that any concessions they might consider would be rejected out of hand. If dialogue was entered into, I'd think many on both sides would be pleasantly surprised at the amount of common ground that exists already. There is only one way to prove or disprove this and, imo, the sooner the process begins the better.
What I copied from lynchboy are excerpts what caught my eye as I read quickly through it and that seemed to me to reflect common Nationalist thinking. Overall, the tenor of my quotes is sombre. Nationalist may not begin any such process of engagement with high hopes of breakthrough. It's encouraging that what you write is more positive.
Maybe, someday soon, well-meaning and forward-looking people from either side of the divide will sit down together and who knows....?
I won't presume to expand on lynchbhoy's observations any further. I would be interested in having a more detailed account of his opinions on the matter. I think what he writes would reflect the views of many within the GAA in Northern Ireland.
I propose starting a new thread with a title of, say, "125 years on: Where does the GAA go from here," or something along those lines. I think it best to wait a day or so to do this as it might allow tempers on both sides here to cool down somewhat and all the principal protagonists here could very well have much useful and relevant comments to contribute.
Furthermore, a new thread could be expected to attract a wider range of visitors.
I think the present one has more or less served its purpose; any one of the general public who finds his or her way here is doing so out of curiosity at this stage.
Maybe some involved want to continue until it's a case of last man standing and if that's the case that is fine by me.
But with the 125th Anniversary of the GAA's foundation coming up, I think it fitting that the embers of the premier GAA forum in the land should at least consider the role of the Association in Irish history to date and venture their thoughts on what part it could play in shaping the Ireland of the future.
Obviously, nobody need wait for me to start such a thread. If any other kind soul wants to start a discussion similar to what I am proposing then he or she may go ahead with my full support and blessing.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi