PJ picks his Super 8

Started by GalwayBayBoy, April 10, 2018, 04:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Orchard park on April 10, 2018, 04:22:21 PM
what a load of shite with all due respect Syferus.

did you have the same opinion of Kilkenny when they dominated hurling or do you follow hurling at all....

Show me the Dublin player who isnt an amateur.........

ie name any player who isnt either a student or employed gainfully and then label them as not amateurs.. HYPERBOLE or where i come from total bullsh*t
Well, I can agree with your first sentence without reading it!
But, if you want to compare Kilkenny's recent extended run of success with that of Dublin at present, you may have picked a bad example. The Cats have only 12 senior sides and when the members of their brilliant side began to drop out, there weren't enough quality coming along to replace them. Much the same as happened to the Kerry team of the late 70s and early 80s. Dublin will never have that problem.
Another things that separates the Cats from the Dubs is money. After at least one of their AI wins, the Kilkenny players had to stand outside church gates with plastic buckets to get the money to pay for their holiday abroad. Talk about a busman's holiday! Can't see Berno or Dermo hving to do that anytime soon, can you?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Why do some folks keep calling the CHAMPIONSHIP a "Cup competition"???
It's for finding the best or Champion team not for providing shocks like soccer where cup thingys are only secondary competitions for a bit of diversion.
And Seafóidín betting odds don't decide the last 8 it's results on the field😉
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sligoman2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 10, 2018, 07:08:59 PM
Sure it's only in for three years...
I doubt that very much.  The whole purpose of this was to create more interesting games, which of course will result in more revenue.  I for one am in favour of this as the amount of good competitive games recently has been few.
My guess is that this will be successful and nobody (almost) will have any interest in going back to the current format.  I'm also a fan of a second tier as long as winners and runners up rejoin the championship at some stage..
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on April 10, 2018, 08:25:02 PM
It's for finding the best or Champion team not for providing shocks like soccer where cup thingys are only secondary competitions for a bit of diversion.

There's little excitement left in the championship without your usual approach of ignoring the Dublin problem and fixating on format changes to make it even worse.

Captain Obvious

And Seafóidín betting odds don't decide the last 8 it's results on the field
Because it is a cup competition and shocks are very much part of any cup competition. The league is the best format the GAA have and a league format is the very best format in world sport to find the champion team.

seafoid

Róisín , they are a decent guide to form.
I don't remember the last time a county at 150/1 won Sam. Maybe 1943? ;)
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

I was only talking about the last 8 Seaf.
Leagues might be Championships in other sports but not ours Captain as teams have different priorities,  different fitness levels, trying out new players, missing players due to Club commitments,  resting veterans etc etc.
The Summer competition (s) us/are the CHAMPIONSHIP.

Cunny Funt

The Champions league and World cup are cup competitions and far from secondary competitions and both competitions don't have the daftness of a robin round group stage for its last 8.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Rossfan on April 10, 2018, 09:03:58 PM
I was only talking about the last 8 Seaf.
Leagues might be Championships in other sports but not ours Captain as teams have different priorities,  different fitness levels, trying out new players, missing players due to Club commitments,  resting veterans etc etc.
The Summer competition (s) us/are the CHAMPIONSHIP.
Leagues are treated more serious in the majority of other sports. The priority for the GAA heads at the top is to chop and change its cup competition when they really should make its best format the league more important.

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on April 10, 2018, 05:04:36 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 10, 2018, 04:29:03 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on April 10, 2018, 04:22:21 PM
what a load of shite with all due respect Syferus.

did you have the same opinion of Kilkenny when they dominated hurling or do you follow hurling at all....

Kilkenny's population is less than many of their competitors. They don't have an unfair advantage.

I cannot believe that needed to be pointed out to someone who isn't from Dublin. And don't forget about the fianicial advantages they enjoy.

Show me the non amateur player  on the Dublin panel as alleged

Rossfan

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 10, 2018, 09:07:05 PM
The Champions league and World cup are cup competitions and far from secondary competitions and both competitions don't have the daftness of a robin round group stage for its last 8.
As far adls I'm aware those 2 soccery competitions have group stages first and then the best teams play out the knock out stages then.

tippabu

Quote from: Rossfan on April 10, 2018, 09:55:01 PM
As far adls I'm aware those 2 soccery competitions have group stages first and then the best teams play out the knock out stages then.

they dont have kind of knockout but with a second chance, then another separate knockout thing then a group thing near the end of the competition and finally for the last 4 proper knockout.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Rossfan on April 10, 2018, 09:55:01 PM

Tonight in the Champions league a European cup competition. Liverpool 3rd in the English league knocked out the champions of England to be Manchester City and Roma 4th in the Italian league table knocked out the league leaders of Spain and one of the Champions league favorites Barcelona

The best don't always get through to the latter stages and upsets happen without them any cup competition would be very dull.

macdanger2

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 10, 2018, 04:06:24 PM

Chris Barrett and Keith Higgins will be back in contention for this game. The latter spent the spring hurling for the county, and though you wouldn't see that in Dublin or Galway, I think he needed it for freshness and it's no bad thing.

Is PJ really comparing Galway to Dublin?  ;D I know they topped D1 but  :o

Unlaoised

Super 8s mmmm

Has the potential to work and I for one am looking forward to the games between some of the best teams (and dublin) in Ireland.

I see its draw backs however....The Cavan's Laois,Kildares,Fermanagh's Armaghs's Derry's and Westmeath's (who all on their day could upset the apple cart are now probably going to drift further behind the big 4(Tyrone Mayo Kerry Galway)because of the the provincial system and the draws...I don't include Dublin as they are out on their own in terms of everything and will probably win the all Ireland for next 10 years....(money money money)

The Roscommons and Tipps and Corks  of this world will always have a chance year after year due to their lack of games to reach a provincial final.which in turn gives them a great chance to reach the super 8s

Time will tell!
LAOIS ABÚ