Meath V Donegal

Started by J70, July 03, 2017, 11:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

What's this, our third ever meeting? (I remember 1990 and 2002 - don't think there's been any others).

What kind of shape are Meath in?

Things are not good in Donegal based on the past two games. The Tyrone game needs no further comment, while apparently Saturday night against Longford was appalling, in both performance and tactics (back to 14 men behind the ball and little movement ahead of it). Donegal missed some ridiculous chances, but from what I've heard, had Longford had an accurate free taker on the night, we'd have been in big, big trouble.

We went back to the short kick-outs again too. If Meath have any sense, they'll push up on this, especially if they are competitive at midfield. This was the area where Tyrone really turned the screw in that second quarter... well that and the red seas parting inside our 40!

Not too optimistic about this as you can probably guess! Whether its inexperienced players or management that don't really know what to after the Tyrone debacle (aside from going for all-out defensiveness at home against a Division 3 team), this year's championship looks like its on life support for Donegal, just waiting for a half-decent team to put us out of our misery.

Denn Forever

I'd imagine Meath will relish this.  It is in Navan so I'd expect a big crowd and at the moment Donegal don't seem to know they want to play.  Hope RTE have it and use Benny Tierney as the co-commentator.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tippabu

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 03, 2017, 12:34:30 PM
I'd imagine Meath will relish this.  It is in Navan so I'd expect a big crowd and at the moment Donegal don't seem to know they want to play.  Hope RTE have it and use Benny Tierney as the co-commentator.

not on tv, 6pm saturday

cornetto

I expected meath to perform better in the c/ship,mcentee seemed to have them moving well,could have been promoted from div 2 but a bad result to down I think? I expect them to beat donegal,I think donegal played their best football in the league,as with any young team it's a learning curve.Meath are not unlike galway, consistency wise,which galway have improved on,I think home advantage will swing it Meaths way.

WT4E

Not on TV and Meath expectations pretty high considering Donegal have not been impressive this year.

Should be a sell out!

thejuice

Don't know what you lads are looking at, we were dire against Kildare, conceded 3 goals to Louth and struggled mightily to beat Sligo with home advantage, our first win in the qualifiers since 2011. Our expectations aren't anywhere near as high as you might think.

Our midfield isn't great and Ronan Jones might be out. Our kick outs have been poor. Defensively we've been quite suspect and overall we are not  that physically imposing. Also we haven't scored a goal in the championship so far either.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ardtole

I had the misfortune to attend the meath v sligo game last sat evening and Meath were nothing short of shocking.
If Donegal leave Murphy and McBreatey on the edge of the square, they should get enough scores to win comfortably, I cant see were Meath will get enough scores to win.

Jinxy

Quote from: WT4E on July 03, 2017, 03:10:38 PM
Not on TV and Meath expectations pretty high considering Donegal have not been impressive this year.

Should be a sell out!

My expectations literally could not be lower.
Ever see a bumblebee repeatedly flying into a window pane when it's wide open a couple of inches higher up?
That's our forwards.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Meath are 150/1 to win Sam. Is this a record?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

There is a touch of "bring out the gimp" about Meath playing Donegal
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I've a feeling that Meath will find themselves here with the likes of Cillian O'Sullivan amd Graham Reilly coming good. Menton just needs to man mark Murphy whereever he goes, he was top class as a full back on him at Sigerson level back in the day. If Meath play with balls then Donegal are there for the taking.

Main Street

Quote from: Jinxy on July 03, 2017, 06:22:39 PM
Quote from: WT4E on July 03, 2017, 03:10:38 PM

Should be a sell out!

My expectations literally could not be lower.
Ever see a bumblebee repeatedly flying into a window pane when it's wide open a couple of inches higher up?
That's our forwards.
If you're trying to lull J70 into any sense of security, you'll have to do better than that.

Goldengreen

Just wondering can anyone tell me where Blue Badge Parking would be for Pairc Tailteann for the game on Saturday.

Hound

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on July 03, 2017, 07:15:23 PM
I've a feeling that Meath will find themselves here with the likes of Cillian O'Sullivan amd Graham Reilly coming good. Menton just needs to man mark Murphy whereever he goes, he was top class as a full back on him at Sigerson level back in the day. If Meath play with balls then Donegal are there for the taking.
Donegal can defend, so not sure its a game that will suit Reilly.

O'Sullivan on the other hand is key. But he needs his teammates to be awake and on the same wavelength to take advantage of his penetrating runs.

Hardy

Quote from: Hound on July 05, 2017, 02:33:47 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on July 03, 2017, 07:15:23 PM
Donegal can defend, so not sure its a game that will suit Reilly.

O'Sullivan on the other hand is key. But he needs his teammates to be awake and on the same some wavelength to take advantage of his penetrating runs.

Amended