We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 05, 2017, 02:16:07 PM
He put his hands on linesman and pushed him. It might not have being a strong push but push none the less. He needs to be suspended or it will then be seen ok to push officials gently. A debate will break out about an acceptable level of pushing towards officials.

Dublin players have very little respect for referees but generally get away with it being in their faces (not all of their players but Connolly, McMahon, McCarthy and 1 or 2 others are bad for it). It is a bit of common trait amongst the successful counties so it obviously works for them.

lenny

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 05, 2017, 02:23:03 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on June 05, 2017, 02:16:07 PM
He put his hands on linesman and pushed him. It might not have being a strong push but push none the less. He needs to be suspended or it will then be seen ok to push officials gently. A debate will break out about an acceptable level of pushing towards officials.

Dublin players have very little respect for referees but generally get away with it being in their faces (not all of their players but Connolly, McMahon, McCarthy and 1 or 2 others are bad for it). It is a bit of common trait amongst the successful counties so it obviously works for them.

It depends on the referee report. Obviously the linesman didn't feel it necessary to draw the refs attention at the time so he mustn't have felt intimidated in any way.

Fuzzman

In previous years he might have got away with it just because the lineman and ref didn't seem to be too bothered by it.
However, with the two other similar bans then if they ignore this one they leave themselves open for future incidents.
Things are bad enough with them not following the black card rules properly so they gotta make a stand.

I reckon Lee Keegan was on the sideline in a lollipop Carlow shirt and was sledging him all game.

Seamus

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 05, 2017, 10:39:14 AM
Quote from: longballin on June 05, 2017, 10:29:49 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 05, 2017, 10:14:06 AM
It would be very harsh for Connolly to serve a ban for that. It was a nothing incident, if it was any other Dublin player bar McMahon there would be absolutely nothing made of it. Spillane's calls for a ban are absolutely embarrassing and pathetic but what else would you expect from a Kerry man.

The rule is very clear. Spillane told the truth. Is a pity as he didn't push him too hard but GAA can't run around nailing junior club players and counties like Antrim but let high profile players do what they like.

You have a one-dimensional brain
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

magpie seanie

12 weeks. Easy case to deal with. Great opportunity for Dublin to manage themselves away from this unreliable player.

johnneycool

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 05, 2017, 02:18:10 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 05, 2017, 10:26:37 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 05, 2017, 10:14:06 AM
It would be very harsh for Connolly to serve a ban for that. It was a nothing incident, if it was any other Dublin player bar McMahon there would be absolutely nothing made of it. Spillane's calls for a ban are absolutely embarrassing and pathetic but what else would you expect from a Kerry man.

I'm sure Ciaran Brannigan isn't waking up this morning with chest pains from that, and didn't make a whole issue of it at the time, doubt it will be in the referees report.

Connolly shouldn't have touched him and you could see the GAA making a point about physical contact with an official but it was a Dublin player so it'll be fine. Lord help any Antrim or Armagh lad who'd have done that....

Branagan (he's from Down.)  He's not Joe McQuillan. Remember, Niall Cullen, referee for Armagh v Antrim whose report included a description of the verbal encounter between McGeeney and the linesman, did not include that a player hit him with the ball during a break in play, assault in anyone's book.

Connolly did push Branagan and was not politely asking him why he made that decision.

There will be no problem identifying him on the video.  Check out from 0:25 to 0:28 to see him lay his hand on the linesman and then causing him to step backwards for two steps due to the pressure exerted while letting him know how much he disagreed with his decision.  Then on 0:29 pointing to a fly that had landed on the linesman's nose.

https://youtu.be/90nsP6NuBA8

Can't see why anyone would think Spillane was any more an embarrassment than usual because he highlighted this offence and was backed up O'Rourke.  Only embarrassment was Cahill.

I know he's from Down as am I and I know plenty of Brannigans in and around the Hilltown area, not sure what point you're intending to make.

lenny

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 05, 2017, 02:56:49 PM
12 weeks. Easy case to deal with. Great opportunity for Dublin to manage themselves away from this unreliable player.

Not easy at all. Video evidence can only be used when the referee or officials haven't dealt with the incident or didn't see it at the time. In this incident the officials did see it and didn't feel it was worthy of sanction. Therefore move along, nothing to be dealt with. There is no way a suspension would hold here as the officials have already dealt with the incident.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: johnneycool on June 05, 2017, 03:20:00 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 05, 2017, 02:18:10 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 05, 2017, 10:26:37 AM
I'm sure Ciaran Brannigan

Branagan (he's from Down.) 

I know he's from Down as am I and I know plenty of Brannigans in and around the Hilltown area, not sure what point you're intending to make.

Yep. He'd be a friend of those Brannigans too.
i usse an speelchekor

skeog

Another Tyrone referee bites the dust just when his career was gathering pace.As for the Down official he seems to attract controversy everywhere he goes.

Avondhu star

Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2017, 03:48:50 PM
So they dealt with it by do nothing?

That's not dealing with it.

He's getting 12 weeks.

Exactly. Let him do his time. He has plenty form  on and off the pitch. If he gets a suspension Dublin should forget about him and dont let it distract them
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

seafoid

I wouldn't mind getting frustrated and lashing out against Mayo but Carlow  ? ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Reservoir Dubs turning on Pillar now for speaking the truth now. An amusing bank holiday Monday.
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=271173

armaghniac

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 05, 2017, 04:16:35 PM
Reservoir Dubs turning on Pillar now for speaking the truth now. An amusing bank holiday Monday.

He's right, the Carlow lads did a lot of training and work all year and they'll get feck all. Connolly is in a game where the Dubs are winning well, if he cools the jets a bit then he has every prospect of a provincial and AI medal, something the Carlow lads will never get.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on June 05, 2017, 04:40:55 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 05, 2017, 04:16:35 PM

He's right, the Carlow lads did a lot of training and work all year and they'll get feck all. Connolly is in a game where the Dubs are winning well, if he cools the jets a bit then he has every prospect of a provincial and AI medal, something the Carlow lads will never get.
12 weeks is 12 weeks, there's no parole.

lenny

Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2017, 03:48:50 PM
So they dealt with it by do nothing?

That's not dealing with it.

He's getting 12 weeks.

An incident can only be revisited with video evidence if the officials haven't seen it. It can't be argued in this case that the officials didn't see it. They saw it, didn't think it amounted to anything worth a sanction therefore case closed. Even if he is suspended he will get off on appeal for the reasons I have given.