Donegal v Down Ulster Semi June 23

Started by J70, June 03, 2013, 02:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristo 60

Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2013, 04:50:07 PM
If wee James could get the Down lads to speak Ulster scots throughout the match it could confuse the Donegal men and break their mental resilience.

http://www.northsouthministerialcouncil.org/nsmc_2008_annual_report_ulster_scots-6.pdf

I'm a newbie and even to me this looks like a T Fearon post.

BarryBreensBandage

Down have absolutely nothing to lose, nobody is expecting them to win.
So they should go for it; yeah, shaky defence, but one hell of a midfield and forward line on Sunday's showing -  just score more than Donegal and they win!! Simple!!

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Wildweasel74

The game will be alot tighter than most think, Down have the scoring power to be a serious threat, but need to have a day at midfield like yesterday,as Donegal have practically 3 E bradleys in their full forward line and if the supply is good  Down wouldn't hold them all

theticklemister

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on June 03, 2013, 05:17:17 PM
So they should go for it; yeah, shaky defence, but one hell of a midfield and forward line on Sunday's showing -  just score more than Donegal and they win!! Simple!!

King had his first good game I seen and McKernan is really a wing back. McKernan won't get the same room against dun na ngall. Plus they were up against a 19 yr old lad who was having his second ever championship game at mf(club and county) and a 1/4 fit Patsy Bradley.

Anyway Donegal don't give a hoot about mf to be honest. They win by different means

qubdub

Quote from: theticklemister on June 03, 2013, 08:53:18 PM

King had his first good game I seen and McKernan is really a wing back. McKernan won't get the same room against dun na ngall. Plus they were up against a 19 yr old lad who was having his second ever championship game at mf(club and county) and a 1/4 fit Patsy Bradley.

Anyway Donegal don't give a hoot about mf to be honest. They win by different means
Nearly sure McKernan plays as a forward for Burren...versatile boy all the same.

I think Down will give it a good rattle, I was quite impressed as I had fancied Derry at the weekend.
The full-back line however remains the main concern and keeping McFadden and big Murphy quiet is where the real questions will be asked. Down have a lot of talented forwards though so it will be interesting to see what strategy is employed against Donegal as they won't give them boys an inch to move. Should be a good game, think Down are better than what their league results showed!

From the Bunker

I hate that saying! There is always something to lose. Even if you lose a game, it's the manner of the loss.

J70

Quote from: qubdub on June 03, 2013, 10:13:34 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on June 03, 2013, 08:53:18 PM

Nearly sure McKernan plays as a forward for Burren...versatile boy all the same.

I think Down will give it a good rattle, I was quite impressed as I had fancied Derry at the weekend.
The full-back line however remains the main concern and keeping McFadden and big Murphy quiet is where the real questions will be asked. Down have a lot of talented forwards though so it will be interesting to see what strategy is employed against Donegal as they won't give them boys an inch to move. Should be a good game, think Down are better than what their league results showed!

Sure Donegal were relegated too!

Neither team falling in line with the conventional wisdom about the dire implications of a bad league campaign so far! Although it has appeared lost on quite a few that Donegal finished with an identical points total last year!

ONeill

Donegal 4-29
Down 0-5

(HT 1-6 to 0-5)
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

J70

3-23 in the second half. That would almost match Kerry at the weekend! :P

ardtole

Has a venue been confirmed for the game? Ive heard Clones and Celtic Park mentioned but have either been confirmed?

ck

To be honest I don't think Down have a hope in hell against Donegal. Down beat Derry, who lost to Westmeath in div 2 final. Look what Dublin did to Westmeath! Down beat an average Derry team and struggled to do so. They'll get hammered against Donegal. No doubt about it.

whitegoodman

Did Derry not beat Westmeath in the league final  :o

seafoid

What is the closest Down senior club team to Belfast?

ardtole

Bredagh Carryduff and Darragh Cross would be closest but are all intermediate, St Pauls Hollywood are junior. Loughinisland I think might be closest senior team to Belfast.

seafoid

Quote from: ardtole on June 04, 2013, 08:57:13 AM
Bredagh Carryduff and Darragh Cross would be closest but are all intermediate, St Pauls Hollywood are junior. Loughinisland I think might be closest senior team to Belfast.
So is  most of the football in the south of the county ? I was up there recently and it was great passing by signs for places like Mayobridge.
Would they take any notice of an all Ireland in the Protestant towns ?