Liam Sheedy steps down

Started by sammymaguire, October 07, 2010, 10:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/1007/sheedyl_tipperary.html

Liam Sheedy has stepped down as manager of the Tipperary senior hurling team.

Sheedy brought Tipperary to All Ireland glory in September beating Kilkenny in the final.

He is citing work commitments as the reason for his departure.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Minder

Due to work commitments I think. Eamonn O'Shea and Michael Ryan also have stepped down.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Capt Pat

That is a blow to Tipperary I would say. I wonder if he had achieved all his goals with the team and thought it was time to move on. I just don't see the work commitments thing being relevant. He has just won the all ireland and his employers tell him  no more half days to go training or travelling with the Tipp hurlers. It doesn't quite add up.

Minder

Quote from: Capt Pat on October 07, 2010, 10:22:43 AM
That is a blow to Tipperary I would say. I wonder if he had achieved all his goals with the team and thought it was time to move on. I just don't see the work commitments thing being relevant. He has just won the all ireland and his employers tell him  no more half days to go training or travelling with the Tipp hurlers. It doesn't quite add up.

He got a big promotion during the summer, he said in his statement he was working 16 hrs a day between the two jobs.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Bogball XV

I heard this was coming a while ago - i think he has a fairly senior job with one of the banks and at the end of the day, that's what's going to put food on the table.  With the level of committment needed in being involved at the top level it wasn't possible to carry on doing both jobs.  Afaik the new position is Dublin based.

the colonel

Capt Pat how is needing to work not relevant? Providing for your family should be the main thing in life. Not sure if he has kids, but if so, just because he has won an all ireland doesn't mean he automatically will have a great relationship with kids. To go for 5 years is a big commitment, but Tipp will be hoping he'll be back in the future.
the difference between success and failure is energy

theskull1

Didn't see that coming

What does the man do?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Will go down in history ala Offaly in 82 as the team and maanger who put the skids on KK's drive for 5.

Banana Man

fair play to sheedy, 3 years is a long time for 16 hours days. The man needs to work and he has to look after the employer first and foremost

best of luck to him

Two Hands FFS

It's hard getting to the top....it's even harder staying there

Only 1 man for the job...Babs.

Zapatista

Fair play to him. He's leaving Tipp in a better way than he found it. You can't ask more than that.

Capt Pat

It is just I was a little surprised by the decision. I didn't know about his promotion, I thought it would be hard to earn one while managing an inter county hurling team but obviously not in the bank.

johnneycool

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on October 07, 2010, 12:16:44 PM
It's hard getting to the top....it's even harder staying there

Only 1 man for the job...Babs.

Well according to himself he was the man who set the wheels in motion for the AI win.

This could play out badly for Antrim if Dinny is approached!

ross matt

Capt Pat let us know what cloud you live so we can all relocate.... "work not relevant"

Best of luck to Sheedy. Apart from his achievements with Tipp he always came across as a sharp and professional guy in interviews etc. I'm not surprised he has climbed the ladder at work also. People with those character traits tend to be good at most things they do.

I imagine he wouldnt continue as Tipp manager if he couldnt do it to the level of effectiveness that he has to date. He'll be a big loss to hurling in general not to mention Tipp. Hopefully he'll return when his off field circumstances free up. Donal O'Grady another fine manager has returned for next season with Limerick after being out for a few years.

Banana Man

The best thing for sheedy now will be he will be remembered as an unqualified success, bringing Tipp back to the bigtime and breaking the cat's unhealthy stranglehold on the liam mccarthy plus unlike a lot of other manager's he leaves behind a fairly young and intact squad for the next coming in