TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on February 14, 2023, 09:03:41 PM
There were rave reviews here after the first episode. 

My take after the first episode is, it's  grand, I'll  watch more. But  so far, it's  overhyped.

Agree with this. Just another story like countless others over the past 20 years.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

Quote from: straightred on February 14, 2023, 10:27:40 PM
Quote from: OrchardOrange on February 14, 2023, 10:15:35 PM
Quote from: straightred on February 14, 2023, 09:25:39 PM
Just finished eps 5 and 6 of 1923 (Harrision Ford and Helen Mirren). Its a follow on to 1888 and is a prequel to Yellowstone. It's cowboys and ranching in Montana.

1923 is my favorite, followed by 1888. Yellowstone is also good but, as is often the case, when a series goes beyond 3 series it does lose its appeal.

Unless each show shows the mass killing of natives it is simply based on lies. Unfortunately most popular shows make it appear that the vast plains had virtually no human presence. Lies. White settlers killed millions of natives in the 1800s.

Last of us is really good and it's based on a few lies. I've yet to meet anyone with fungus growing like grass out of their mouth !

TV series and movies typically don't stick rigidly to facts but in this case anyway they don't go out of their way to hide them either. You're in no doubt about the plight of the natives. There's an episode given up to showing how an orphan native was treated and then how her aunt was murdered by the sherriff.

I stumbled across it while looked for something to watch and I'm hooked. Its also weekly episodes (as is Last of us). Old school TV.

You obviously haven't been to Portadown before

Hound

Quote from: gawa316 on February 15, 2023, 12:54:23 AM
Just finished 1883 and up to date with 1923. Love them both. Couple of observations...there was some amount of development/modernization in the 40 years.

Secondly and I'm probably the only person in the world that has thought this but the  dolls voice who narrates it reminds me of that Canadian blade  katherine Ryan impersonation of Cheryl Cole. I can't get it out of my head every time she speaks and now she is narrating 1923 as well!
I watched 1883 first and loved it. The Elsa Dutton character was fantastic. Oregon must be some place!
I'm leaving 1923 till all episodes are available so have moved on to Yellowstone. The first thing that really struck is this was pretty much modern day!  Just finished the second series (the one with the Beck brothers) and it was brilliant.

In terms of Indian massacres, there is a clear message that Indians were mistreated and they were decent people. The creators have said they were aiming for realism. Most of the massacres probably happened earlier in the 1800s

trailer

Quote from: Hound on February 20, 2023, 08:01:49 AM
Quote from: gawa316 on February 15, 2023, 12:54:23 AM
Just finished 1883 and up to date with 1923. Love them both. Couple of observations...there was some amount of development/modernization in the 40 years.

Secondly and I'm probably the only person in the world that has thought this but the  dolls voice who narrates it reminds me of that Canadian blade  katherine Ryan impersonation of Cheryl Cole. I can't get it out of my head every time she speaks and now she is narrating 1923 as well!
I watched 1883 first and loved it. The Elsa Dutton character was fantastic. Oregon must be some place!
I'm leaving 1923 till all episodes are available so have moved on to Yellowstone. The first thing that really struck is this was pretty much modern day!  Just finished the second series (the one with the Beck brothers) and it was brilliant.

In terms of Indian massacres, there is a clear message that Indians were mistreated and they were decent people. The creators have said they were aiming for realism. Most of the massacres probably happened earlier in the 1800s

Watched Yellowstone. First 3 seasons excellent, took a bit of a downhill turn after that.
Just started 1883. 3 episodes in. High enough body count so far. The west was wild. Enjoying it.

Main Street

Parts of 1923 are very good, a bit of tyrannical nun head bashing  never goes amiss, other (large) parts are just stereotypically corny, her glowing clean in the bowels of the shíttiest ever tugboat, plus  that titanic scene minus the score and the 'happy' ending.

Milltown Row2

Watched I am Bolt and the golf fly on the wall show Full Swing lately

For any sport tv fans they were pretty good.

The inside stuff is great viewing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

Finally getting round to watching Suits, near the end of S3, its watchable but overall pretty shite, but I keep getting drawn back to watch more. Its hardly going to improve much if this is my reading so far and 6 more series to go??

Turf

Started watching a show there recently called The Orville,its a comedy/sci fi type show. It's actually pretty good.

lurganblue

Quote from: bennydorano on February 24, 2023, 12:59:20 PM
Finally getting round to watching Suits, near the end of S3, its watchable but overall pretty shite, but I keep getting drawn back to watch more. Its hardly going to improve much if this is my reading so far and 6 more series to go??

Probably not. I enjoyed it at the start but gave up on it after a certain significant change. Couldnt see the point of it after that

trailer

Finished the first season 1883. Probably one of my favourite shows ever. Brilliant in every way.

square_ball

Quote from: lurganblue on February 24, 2023, 01:54:21 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 24, 2023, 12:59:20 PM

Probably not. I enjoyed it at the start but gave up on it after a certain significant change. Couldnt see the point of it after that

Same as that. Got to I think 6 or 7 and gave up. Enjoyed it up to a certain point but just got unwatchable after that tbh.

dec

Quote from: trailer on February 24, 2023, 02:31:50 PM
Finished the first season 1883. Probably one of my favourite shows ever. Brilliant in every way.

The first and only season.

Look-Up!

Anyone see NZ Wars TV series. Saw bits advertised, looks a very good drama doc on the Maori wars. Looks to be available on youtube, maybe 3 episodes. Don't know where else it's available.

AustinPowers

Canal boat  diaries being repeated on Yesterday

A great way  to spend a relaxing  half hour

lurganblue

Better, on BBC. 5 parts. It was ticking along nicely I thought. Poor enough ending.