TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Boycey on October 06, 2017, 11:08:12 PM
Anyone look at the new incarnation of Porridge tonight on the Beeb? Porridge was on of the all time great shows and Fletcher one of the great characters..

Didn't look great by the 10 minutes I saw of it. Yer man was trying too hard to be exactly like Fletcher with the facial expressions and so forth.

The original was sublime comedy.

TabClear

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 10, 2017, 09:20:46 AM
Quote from: screenexile on October 05, 2017, 03:06:37 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 05, 2017, 01:24:40 PM
Quote from: TabClear on October 05, 2017, 11:31:03 AM
Quote from: gallsman on October 04, 2017, 09:22:21 PM
Theresa May plagiarised the West Wing in her speech today...

Rewatched a couple of the earlier series over the summer. Awesome show even after so many years. Acting and scripting was top notch. Definitely in my Top 5 boxsets ever.

Basically it's great up until Rob Lowe and Sorkin left. Have watched it a good few times and the dip in quality is very noticeable.

I doubt you'll have many arguments there. Having said that without Sorkin it was still better than half the stuff that's out there today!!

Speaking of Sorkin,
I really enjoyed The Newsroom.
Its a pity they didn't make more series of it.

Have not seen The Newsroom but you reminded me of another favourite of mine of the early nineties, Drop the Dead Donkey. Brilliant show that never got the recognition it deserved. Something I would have thought could be reincarnated relatively easily as it is based on current events. The writers would have a field day with Trump!

Rois

Quote from: gallsman on October 05, 2017, 05:11:28 PM

If you know how to use Kodi or how to access US Netflix it's all there.

How do I do that US Netflix thing?

gallsman

Quote from: Rois on October 10, 2017, 11:41:49 AM

You need to use s service that can change your DNS settings. I use SmartDNSProxy. I'm based in Spain and I use it to access UK and US Netflix, UK Amazon prime and all the catch up players for the UK stations. Think they have a free trial.

lenny

Quote from: gallsman on October 10, 2017, 11:46:34 AM

You need to use s service that can change your DNS settings. I use SmartDNSProxy. I'm based in Spain and I use it to access UK and US Netflix, UK Amazon prime and all the catch up players for the UK stations. Think they have a free trial.

Would it work for RTE player?

gallsman

Quote from: lenny on October 10, 2017, 01:32:08 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 10, 2017, 11:46:34 AM

Would it work for RTE player?

Yup.

Boycey

I'm not sure if it still works but you used to be able to change to US Netflix on a smart tv simply by going to network setting on the tv and changing dns settings to whatever current one is for USA. Loads of YouTube tutorials if you look...

Haven't used in ages so perhaps this loophole is closed..

Boycey

Finished Narcos last night, it was better than the first couple of series.. What to watch now  ???

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Boycey on October 15, 2017, 08:00:55 PM
Finished Narcos last night, it was better than the first couple of series.. What to watch now  ???

Agree, genuine edge if of the seat stuff for me.

Asal Mor

Blind Date on TV3. Pure quality.

screenexile

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 15, 2017, 09:55:42 PM
Blind Date on TV3. Pure quality.

Anything Al Porter is near can f**k right off!!!

Gold

Power is good enough to have me up at this time!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

gallsman

Quote from: Boycey on October 15, 2017, 08:00:55 PM

If you want related things, the Cocaine Cowboys docs might be interesting. Blow with Johnny Depp worth a re-watch too.

I'm all about The Deuce at the minute. It's brilliant.

Syferus

Mr. Robot is back. Probably the most distinctive show on TV, both in how it's shot and how it tells a story. And they fact they put in the legwork to actually portray software and computing honestly goes a long way to making it more believable too.

Star Trek Discovery has been absolutely fantastic as a long term Trek fan, it takes turns that no other series has and toys with your preconceptions of what can happen in a Trek show at nearly every turn.

gallsman

Second season of Mr Robot was completely shite. Have heard this one has improved.