TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Main Street on September 25, 2017, 11:49:36 PM
Quote from: leenie on September 19, 2017, 09:39:52 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on September 19, 2017, 09:06:57 PM
Mr Mercedes starting tonight on RTE1. Anyone watch and recommend?

I'm 6 episodes in.. it's good.. I'd recommend it.. it's slow paced but I like it, id reccomend you don't watch it with your mother ( you'll see why if you watch it) the main actor in it other than brendan Gleson is a creepy look alike of Stephen Cluxton ..

You flatter Cluxton, this psycho  in Mr Mercedes has way more personality :)

Gleeson disappoints in parts with the staged aspects of the angry grumpy jackeen character who's on a permanent hangover. Even the grumpiest most downtrodden drunken dub has a bit of humour,  let's say he's no Rashers Tierney.

Overall it's good and comes in currently in second place to The Deuce on my viewing list.

Yes Gleeson could have added a bit of Sergeant Gerry Boyle humour into his role.

gallsman

Have caught up on The Deuce. Excellent stuff so far. Am curious how many other ex Wire cast members can show up.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: JimStynes on September 26, 2017, 08:56:07 AM
Just finished Narcos season 3. Some show! Much better than the first 2 seasons.

Good to hear did not really like season 2

screenexile

Just watched the first episode of Big Mouth on Netflix... Holy f**k it's hilarious!!

Longshanks

curb your Enthusiasm back tonight!

Pretty good...

mrdeeds

Just after finishing The Sopranos. Brilliant TV. Would have Breaking Bad slightly ahead all the same. I know this has probably being done to death but that ending. WTF. Nobody could be happy with that.

charlieTully

Quote from: mrdeeds on October 02, 2017, 10:18:13 PM
Just after finishing The Sopranos. Brilliant TV. Would have Breaking Bad slightly ahead all the same. I know this has probably being done to death but that ending. WTF. Nobody could be happy with that.

No? I thought it was a perfect ending to the best tv show ever created.

mrdeeds

Quote from: charlieTully on October 03, 2017, 12:16:36 AM

Just the fact that there are at least three possibilities of what might have happened.

nrico2006

Agree on Sopranos.  Ending was dire.  I only watched it about 7 years ago and remember thinking there was a fault with the DVD or something due to how it finished.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Gold

I agree Deedsy.....after investing so much of your life and time into a show you want definitive closure!!!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Billys Boots

Quote from: mrdeeds on October 03, 2017, 07:28:44 AM

Just the fact that there are at least three possibilities of what might have happened.

I agree.  Great ending, still thinking about it intermittently, years later.  Everything doesn't have to (and rarely does) end with an explosion/mass murder/neat denouement. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

nrico2006

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 03, 2017, 09:26:55 AM

I agree.  Great ending, still thinking about it intermittently, years later.  Everything doesn't have to (and rarely does) end with an explosion/mass murder/neat denouement.

It doesn't but you would like a show with an actual definitive ending, not one that is left open to interpretation.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 03, 2017, 10:55:22 AM

It doesn't but you would like a show with an actual definitive ending, not one that is left open to interpretation.

Ah but life isn't about definitive endings . . .

Hound

But you're applying a real life concept to makey-uppy stuff. Lord Lucan was a "great ending" because nobody really knows what happened and where he went and there are loads of possiblities (might not be the best of analogies, esp for the poor worman murdered, but you get my meaning)

In Soprano's, nothing else happened. There's nothing to think about, pointless wondering about what happened next, because, literally, nothing happend next. It was just a writer taking the mick and pretending its "arty" or something. In my opinion anyway!

gallsman

Why would there be any more point in wording about what happened Lord Lucan than what happened next to the characters in the Sopranos?

You understand television is an art form, yes? Imagine someone involved in TV production being artistic. Perish the thought.