TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Check out Regular Show if you're into cartoons that are for kids but aren't really for kids. Not as intense as R&M.

stiffler

13 reasons why on Netflix , good show.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Main Street

I happened upon a series (in torrent world)  called Bosch, after old friend Harry Bosch. I wasn't aware that such a series existed about Harry Bosch. I don't know who made it or where honest folk can view it, but it's available 'out there'.
So far, a few episodes  into series 1, it's excellent, different from the books as it would have to be, but at the same time time it's Bosch, obsessive procedural Bosch, 'everyone matters or no one matters'.

Estimator

Quote from: stiffler on April 13, 2017, 09:18:16 PM

Only 4 episodes in, but v good so far.

Quote from: Main Street on April 14, 2017, 12:13:52 AM
I happened upon a series (in torrent world)  called Bosch, after old friend Harry Bosch. I wasn't aware that such a series existed about Harry Bosch. I don't know who made it or where honest folk can view it, but it's available 'out there'.
So far, a few episodes  into series 1, it's excellent, different from the books as it would have to be, but at the same time time it's Bosch, obsessive procedural Bosch, 'everyone matters or no one matters'.

'Tis an Amazon original. So anyone with Amazon prime can access it.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Tony Baloney

Keep meaning to watch it. Love the books and I didn't think any tv show would do it justice but will give this a go.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 14, 2017, 12:48:13 AM
Keep meaning to watch it. Love the books and I didn't think any tv show would do it justice but will give this a go.
Yep great show, there have been 2 series on Amazon so far

AZOffaly

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on April 14, 2017, 05:03:11 AM

Very good show. It took me a while to warm to it as I had a different image of Bosch in my head from the books, but it's excellent if you like the books.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2017, 11:12:12 AM

Very good show. It took me a while to warm to it as I had a different image of Bosch in my head from the books, but it's excellent if you like the books.

It is particularly well cast especially Titus Welliver in the title role.

Main Street

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 14, 2017, 11:24:00 AM

I had an image of Harry's house, something on stilts with a veranda but nothing as fancy as the dramatised glass palace architecture creation.
I saw in the credits that Michael Connolly is involved with the production and the script. This is where life imitates art as Harry's house on stilts was built with the funds Harry received from working as technical advisor on a tv drama based on one of his cases.
The first season of Bosch delves straight into City of Bones. If it follows, one season to unravel a Harry Bosch case,  we could be looking at a multi season Bosch drama fest.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on April 14, 2017, 11:34:56 AM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 14, 2017, 11:24:00 AM

I had an image of Harry's house, something on stilts with a veranda but nothing as fancy as the dramatised glass palace architecture creation.
I saw in the credits that Michael Connolly is involved with the production and the script. This is where life imitates art as Harry's house on stilts was built with the funds Harry received from working as technical advisor on a tv drama based on one of his cases.
The first season of Bosch delves straight into City of Bones. If it follows, one season to unravel a Harry Bosch case,  we could be looking at a multi season Bosch drama fest.
I have often followed Harry's movements on Woodrow Wilson Drive and over Mulholland etc. on Google Maps so I have a fair idea of what his house should look like. Yes, I am a sad bastid  ;D

Main Street

Norway's state tv station has opened much of its music archives since years.
On it is a treasure trove of high quality video recordings of live concerts, from the international summer festivals  eg Kalvoya Festival, tv studio concerts and random music events around Norway.
I came across a (previously unseen by me) 38min long live concert of The Dubliners from the summer of 1980 in a place called Harstad, which is about as remote as Craggy Island. The concert is relaxed and is simply a visual and audio feast..
https://tv.nrk.no/serie/festspillene-i-nord-norge/FTRO20002080/01-11-1980

Others which caught my eye and you'll see how to search the archives for whatever tickles your fancy.

1993  Dick Gaughan - Shipwrecked
https://tv.nrk.no/serie/roots-93/FHLD30000993/08-10-1993#t=5m57s

1968 Bert Jansch - A woman like You
https://tv.nrk.no/serie/visefestival-i-kroa/FBUA07005768/07-06-1968#t=7m55s

Kalvøya is an Island on Oslo Fjord, use to have a big music festival every summer

1985 Kalvøyafestivalen -  Leonard Cohen
https://tv.nrk.no/serie/kalvoeyafestivalen/FUHA10007285/06-07-1985#t=19m20s

1978 Kalvøyafestivalen - Joan Baez
https://tv.nrk.no/serie/kalvoeyafestivalen/FUHA03002278/07-11-1978

1993 The Chieftains   The Mountain Top, etc
https://tv.nrk.no/serie/roots-93/FHLD10000993/24-09-1993#t=5m3s

Paul Brady -  Crazy Dreams  etc.
https://tv.nrk.no/serie/roots-92/FHLD30000192/01-06-1992#

Boycey

My other half has just started me on this, any other opinions?

DuffleKing

Quote from: Boycey on April 17, 2017, 09:25:58 PM

My other half has just started me on this, any other opinions?

4 episodes in and I've lost the will to live. Padded out, American idealistic crap so far

Hound

Quote from: Main Street on April 12, 2017, 01:08:09 PM
He's back - 
Better Call Saul S.3 just started the other day.
I'm a very late comer to Breaking Bad. Not long into Season 3. Do I watch them all to very end first, or does Better Call Saul start before the final series of BB ends? 

Hardy

Quote from: Hound on April 18, 2017, 03:04:23 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 12, 2017, 01:08:09 PM
He's back - 
Better Call Saul S.3 just started the other day.
I'm a very late comer to Breaking Bad. Not long into Season 3. Do I watch them all to very end first, or does Better Call Saul start before the final series of BB ends? 

BCS is Saul's life (as Jimmy McGill, his real name) before BB starts. It's not necessary to watch BB to understand and fully appreciate BCS in its own right and the storylines don't interlink at all, so far. Inevitably, familiarity with Saul in BB enriches the BCS experience but it's not in any way necessary to see all of BB before watching BCS. Mike from BB is also a leading character in BCS and we're told Gus Fring makes his appearance this series.