muppet

Quote from: laoislad on December 15, 2015, 01:32:31 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 15, 2015, 01:00:01 PM
Quote from: screenexile on December 14, 2015, 11:17:31 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 11, 2015, 02:30:20 PM
Quote from: screenexile on December 11, 2015, 01:44:18 PM
Quote from: Minder on December 11, 2015, 12:42:06 PM
Quote from: Boycey on December 11, 2015, 12:16:57 PM
Did anybody else stick with The Affair? I thought it dragged a bit but has recaptured my interest lately after a couple of good twists

I am a couple of episodes behind but I have enjoyed it

I'm still a bit meh about it. I've watched them all and there are too many moody/arty scenes of people fighting and pouting for me to be massively interested in it.

The Wife loves it so I play WGC while it's on ... I'm a multi tasker!
What's WGC?

Sorry its WGT...

www.wgt.com

That is a class game.

If my broadband was a little better I could see me locking myself in a room for the next year or two.

Bye!
Go for a run instead.

I will have to go for a long run if the thing keeps crashing the way it does at the moment.

Any suggestions to make it work better?
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on December 15, 2015, 02:51:18 PM
Quote from: Zulu on December 15, 2015, 01:04:05 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on December 15, 2015, 12:11:38 AM
Quote from: Zulu on December 14, 2015, 11:10:48 PM
Really? I've throughly enjoyed it so far but that was a surreal, am I missing something?

If you're talking about what I think you are, you've been missing quite a bit if you didn't see something like that coming.  It's been foreshadowed from the very first episode, and in quite a few others.   Still a crap idea though.

Have seen every episode and didn't see that coming, nor did it make an ounce of sense. I do recall something in the first episode that hinted at such a thing alright but can't recall anything subsequently. If they don't explain it in thinnest episode I'd be very disappointed as it saved the life of one important character and cost another theirs so it had a major impact on the story and how it can conclude. Good show all the same and much better than the first series for me.

Right, there's the thing in the first episode, around the time the brother stumbles onto the road.  There are a number of references in subsequent episodes to ...um... (trying not to spoil)... the kind of thing that happens in the most recent episode.  For example, there are stickers on a cash register (or a bathroom, I forget which) in one episode, there's the crazy writing in the older cop's office, and there are a few more.  The missus and I made a point of watching out for subsequent hints after the first episode, and they show up in many of the episodes. 

Oh, and there's also a hint at the end of the episode "Before the Law."

Now I'm not claiming to have predicted exactly what was coming, but it seemed clear to me that they were going to do something with it.

Ah right, I wouldn't really be keeping an eye for that type of thing but now that you mention it there have been a few things like that. However, if it the only reason it happened was to save a characters life (for no apparent reason) then it would go a long way to ruining it for me.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Zulu on December 15, 2015, 06:43:27 PM
Really? I've throughly enjoyed it so far but that was a surreal, am I missing something?

If you're talking about what I think you are, you've been missing quite a bit if you didn't see something like that coming.  It's been foreshadowed from the very first episode, and in quite a few others.   Still a crap idea though.

Have seen every episode and didn't see that coming, nor did it make an ounce of sense. I do recall something in the first episode that hinted at such a thing alright but can't recall anything subsequently. If they don't explain it in thinnest episode I'd be very disappointed as it saved the life of one important character and cost another theirs so it had a major impact on the story and how it can conclude. Good show all the same and much better than the first series for me.

Right, there's the thing in the first episode, around the time the brother stumbles onto the road.  There are a number of references in subsequent episodes to ...um... (trying not to spoil)... the kind of thing that happens in the most recent episode.  For example, there are stickers on a cash register (or a bathroom, I forget which) in one episode, there's the crazy writing in the older cop's office, and there are a few more.  The missus and I made a point of watching out for subsequent hints after the first episode, and they show up in many of the episodes. 

Now I'm not claiming to have predicted exactly what was coming, but it seemed clear to me that they were going to do something with it.

Ah right, I wouldn't really be keeping an eye for that type of thing but now that you mention it there have been a few things like that. However, if it the only reason it happened was to save a characters life (for no apparent reason) then it would go a long way to ruining it for me.

Yeah, I'd agree with that, and like I said above, the whole incident seems ridiculous anyway.  But it would have been easy enough to save the character's life another way, so I don't think that's why they introduced this theme.   Seems to me like they wanted that stuff in there anyway, and then used it in a few places. 

Main Street

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on December 15, 2015, 10:45:42 PM
Quote from: Zulu on December 15, 2015, 06:43:27 PM

Yeah, I'd agree with that, and like I said above, the whole incident seems ridiculous anyway.  But it would have been easy enough to save the character's life another way, so I don't think that's why they introduced this theme.   Seems to me like they wanted that stuff in there anyway, and then used it in a few places.
You are talking about the UFO interjection in Fargo s2.Episode 9?
It was a misplaced scene and slammed into the bloody climax of the series with no subtlety.
Though it doesn't affect out what went before, it just goes to demonstrate that not everything surreal that happens in a Fargo drama, works.
The ufo scene worked well in the 1st episode, a neat black humour, surreal interlude, but bombed in episode 9, Not just that it made a timely appearance during the climax, but also  that a wild crazed, blood thirsty Bear would get distracted from a violent life or death course of action by some lights in the sky, was taking the píss.
Peggy in red alert  survival mode had the appropriate reaction, "it's just a ufo honey"  not letting anything distract her from her urgent escape, away from the clutches of the stealthy, dogged mass murderer, who was on her trail.

Main Street

Post Fargo season 2, I was fortunate to come across a very recent gem of a miniseries in 6 parts,
Show Me A Hero, written by David Simon,  set in mid 1980s to the mid 1990s http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2492296/

It's about a controversial and remarkable time in New York/Yonkers history of race relations, when  a judge ordered 200 houses to be allocated to people who were not of the white skin colour, to be scattered around in small clusters in a white middle class neighbourhood, the defensible space theory.
The organised  opposition to this was loud mouth, vicious, bilious, bare faced racism disguised in the form of fears of 'lowering the price of property', 'drugs', and 'crime'. Just think of Irish attitudes to travellers and add in the DUP into the front line of the protest.
No coincidence I suppose that the leader of the white Klan protesters was named Jack O'Toole.

smort

Hasn't been much on the box over xmas, not much that I have seen anyway, but has anyone watched the BBC's 'And Then There Were None'? First episode was good, will be interesting to see how it pans out tonight and tomorrow night.

On a related note, Sherlock is on New Years Day and there is a new adaptation of War and Peace starting on 3rd January, looks very impressive.

BBC have upped their game.

gallsman

The Man in the High Castle. Excellent.

leenie

Documentary .. Making a murderer on Netflix .. It's 10 episodes but v good
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Newbridge Exile

bennydorano

Watching the Boxset of Series 4 of Girls. Solid as usual. When watching this show I often wonder are any of these real issues for people of a certain age or is it just always about the narcissism of these princesses with their heads up their asses?

Boycey

I got to the end of The Affair season 2 the other night, like I said it dragged in places but had enough to hold my interest all the same. The season finale was top notch with a superb twist that I certainly didn't see coming...

Canalman

Just finished Better call Saul. Absolutely excellent. 

Sick to death of avoiding  "Celebrity"Family Fortunes  (including domestic version)  etc this Christmas.  Remote control overheating.

themac_23

Quote from: Canalman on December 30, 2015, 08:43:07 PM
Just finished Better call Saul. Absolutely excellent. 

Sick to death of avoiding  "Celebrity"Family Fortunes  (including domestic version)  etc this Christmas.  Remote control overheating.

I loved better call Saul, done enough to steer away from Breaking Bad and create its own story, some really good characters and hope there is a season 2.

square_ball

Just started watching homeland always been aware of it but for some reason never watched it. Got through the first season and a half its excellent. Hearing it tails off in the 3rd series or is that rubbish?