TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOptimist

Finished watching the first series of Peaky Blinders.

Great show.

annapr

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 23, 2015, 10:50:08 AM
Anyone watching "The Returned" on Netflix? Not bad at all, a bit weird.
I've been watching one called Resurrection.
It would seem that the two have the same storyline.

ziggy90

Quote from: TheOptimist on June 23, 2015, 01:10:12 PM
Finished watching the first series of Peaky Blinders.

Great show.

It gets better and better.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Main Street

Quote from: bennydorano on June 23, 2015, 08:41:36 AM
Looks good. First Series was a bit style over substance imo & the second has  but i thought that was very promising, some great tunes too. Not a big Vince Vaughn fan tho.
When you say,  it undoubtedly has got the cool indie vibe about it, what does that mean?

bennydorano

It hasn't got mainstream sensibilities & it thinks alot of itself.

Main Street

I had a look at True Detective  season 2, first episode this evening and I really can't figure out how it got to here,  a piece of crap  from what was season 1. It has the brains and complexity of a Charles Bronson revenge vigilante film,
though still a hundred times better than Game of Thrones.
How come the Irish man gets the role of the drunk who can polish off what looks to be a bottle of bushmills, have a little snooze and be good to go an hour later?

Harold Disgracey

Really enjoyed No Offence on Channel 4, glad it's got a second series. Risteárd Cooper made a very good baddie!

laoislad

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on June 24, 2015, 08:36:47 AM
Really enjoyed No Offence on Channel 4, glad it's got a second series. Risteárd Cooper made a very good baddie!
Enjoyed it myself.
Wasn't sure I would when I read one of the storylines but it was very well done.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

The Subbie

Quote from: Main Street on June 24, 2015, 12:36:56 AM
I had a look at True Detective  season 2, first episode this evening and I really can't figure out how it got to here,  a piece of crap  from what was season 1. It has the brains and complexity of a Charles Bronson revenge vigilante film,
How come the Irish man gets the role of the drunk who can polish off what looks to be a bottle of bushmills, have a little snooze and be good to go an hour later?

I know what you mean MS, but the first series was a slow burner as well, 1st 2.5 episodes were just weird then it started and just kept going and going.
First episodes are always about introducing characters and setting context for each.
I'm prepared to give it multiple chances, loved the first series, it got me through a 14 hour Abu Dhabi - Sydney flight!

nrico2006

The first season was really slow until it reached the present and stayed there.  It was worth it in the end though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Anyone ever watch Rookie Blue on Universal? Relax Laoislad, it's not that sort of Blue. It's a fairly easy watch cop show, tracking a set of new recruits into a PD. The lead girl is something else. Missy Peregrym. It's not one for deep thinkers or anything, but I enjoy it.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: charlieTully on June 11, 2015, 10:27:17 AM
Bloodline on Netflix well worth a watch.

4 episodes in, bored out of my mind--does it get any better?

Main Street

Quote from: The Subbie on June 24, 2015, 10:16:25 AM
Quote from: Main Street on June 24, 2015, 12:36:56 AM

I know what you mean MS, but the first series was a slow burner as well, 1st 2.5 episodes were just weird then it started and just kept going and going.
First episodes are always about introducing characters and setting context for each.
I'm prepared to give it multiple chances, loved the first series, it got me through a 14 hour Abu Dhabi - Sydney flight!
With season 1.  it was simple , you had  the crime investigation, the winding path the investigation followed,  Louisiana, music, the detectives' interaction , the work place.  the home situation of both  and  the plot evolved  via the medium of an in-house investigation  bringing it up to a present day investigation, where both detectives had "issues" investigation and personal
But when you think about it, that was a complicated story line , plots, but for us slow people it took its time to evolve and allowed us to absorb the experience.
Season 2 starts off at full throttle by comparison and without the gravitas. In other words, more mainstream, when you'd have hoped that the True Detective series would inhabit another territory less travelled.
I'll still give it a go nonetheless.

gallsman

Are you really reading anything into Colin Farrell playing the whiskey drinking alco cop? (It was Johnnie Walker Blue by the way, I think).

In the first season both of them were alcos and one of then adruggie!

I'm not sure what to make of it either but will give it the benefit of the doubt and keep watching.

nrico2006

Haven't watched season 2 yet, but going by 1 I was expecting another slow burner.

Hannibal episode 3 of season 3 aired the other night, its floating perilously close to getting the boot if it continues to be as bad.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'