TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: JoG2 on May 01, 2015, 03:56:00 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on May 01, 2015, 03:53:10 PM
Couldn't get past the awful attempts at Birmingham accents.

and Sam Neil sounding like Harry Enfield's 'William Ulsterman'..."I ASKED FOR CHEDDAR CHEESE AND PINEAPPLE ON A STTTTICK!"

Ha ha, have to look that one up again on youtube; a classic.

muppet

We just finished Season 1 of Marco Polo on Netflix.

Really enjoyed it.

Just scanned the reviews and the critics range from 'turning it off after a couple of episodes' to 'not too bad really'. It does start slowly with a bit too much focus on Polo, but it gets really good as you get to know more of the characters. Netflix has just announced a 2nd season too.

MWWSI 2017

screenexile

and Sam Neil sounding like Harry Enfield's 'William Ulsterman'..."I ASKED FOR CHEDDAR CHEESE AND PINEAPPLE ON A STTTTICK!"

I quite enjoyed Peaky Blinders if you can get past the shit accents.

Have to say No Offence the other night was pretty good. Talk about starting a series with a bang it was as shocking an opening sequence as I've seen!!

general_lee

Quote from: screenexile on May 07, 2015, 10:22:38 AM

I quite enjoyed Peaky Blinders if you can get past the shit accents.

Have to say No Offence the other night was pretty good. Talk about starting a series with a bang it was as shocking an opening sequence as I've seen!!
Peaky Blinders is good enough so far... Have only seen the first series though.

The Brummie accents aren't too bad, think they've been captured quite well. The Belfast accent is horrible though! I read Neill had to tone it down as it is also targeted at a US audience; I have never come across anyone that speaks like that! Other than William Ulsterman of course.

Agent Orange

Anyone else watching Peter Kay's Car Share? It's typical Kay, simple Jokes, perfectly timed.

Jap Si  ;D

J70

Probably late to the show, but Better Call Saul was excellent. Looking forward to next season.

Recently watched the first 5 seasons of the Walking Dead, having never seen it. Brilliant stuff!

I started a bit of Lillyhammer, with Steve vanZandt. Basically his Silvio Dante character exiled in northern Norway. Pretty good so far, quite amusing, albeit not too gripping.

CD

Quote from: Agent Orange on May 07, 2015, 09:35:34 PM
Anyone else watching Peter Kay's Car Share? It's typical Kay, simple Jokes, perfectly timed.

Jap Si  ;D
The dogging had me in stitches. Very funny - well worth a watch
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

JimStynes

Struggling to find a good show to stick with at the minute. Trying to get onto the way of Deadwood at the minute but not really doing it for me at the minute. What do you recommend lads?

Watched The Affair, Peaky Blinders, Walking Dead, House, Broadchurch, Suits, House of Cards and a few others I've missed no doubt. All decent shows. Still nothing to compete with The Wire, Sopranos, The Shield and Entourage though.

gallsman

Quote from: JimStynes on May 08, 2015, 10:35:47 PM
Struggling to find a good show to stick with at the minute. Trying to get onto the way of Deadwood at the minute but not really doing it for me at the minute. What do you recommend lads?

Watched The Affair, Peaky Blinders, Walking Dead, House, Broadchurch, Suits, House of Cards and a few others I've missed no doubt. All decent shows. Still nothing to compete with The Wire, Sopranos, The Shield and Entourage though.

Stick with it, it's fantastic.

Aussie show called Underbelly of you haven't seen it is very good, at least the first series.

JimStynes

Quote from: gallsman on May 08, 2015, 10:42:21 PM

Aussie show called Underbelly of you haven't seen it is very good, at least the first series.

Watched underbelly. The first series is good but goes down hill after that. Orange is the new black wasn't a bad show either!

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: gallsman on May 08, 2015, 10:42:21 PM

Underworld is great; first 3 seasons (haven't seen after that).  The first 2-3 episodes are a bit dodgy, I have to say.  Was going to give up on it, but very happy I didn't.

Same with Deadwood.  Wasn't that taken with it at first, but it's definitely a grower.

Breaking Bad not mentioned in the original list--give that one a go if you haven't already.

Jell 0 Biafra

Oh yeah, and Fargo, if you haven't seen it is absolutely fantastic.  Up there with the Sopranos/The Wire.

JimStynes

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on May 09, 2015, 03:24:26 AM
Oh yeah, and Fargo, if you haven't seen it is absolutely fantastic.  Up there with the Sopranos/The Wire.

I didn't give Fargo a chance to be fair. I watched a couple of episodes and the accents and a few characters were annoying me. Must start it up again once I finish deadwood. Breaking bad and Homeland are others I forgot to add to my already watched list. Not really a series but Band of Brothers is probably the best thing i have ever watched. I can't see anything else ever beating it.

nrico2006

Game of Thrones, Dexter, Person Of Interest, Breaking Bad?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

Same as me with Deadwood . Gave up after 3/4 episodes. Must be something to it as alot of people rave about it. Not me though.

Give American Horror Story a go. Quirky to say the least.