TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

**SPOILER ALERT**

Slightly disappointed by the way TD ended up, comparing to how good the previous episodes were.
Seemed a bit rushed, could have gone into the Errol character (man with scars) more...1 episode for a man the whole series was based on.
The lads finding the old woman who could remember the price she paid for the paint job about 20 years ago...no offence but seriously doubtful and fairly convenient!

Quality stuff though all said and done!

Main Street

Quote from: ballinaman on March 12, 2014, 06:04:48 PM
**SPOILER ALERT**

Slightly disappointed by the way TD ended up, comparing to how good the previous episodes were.
Seemed a bit rushed, could have gone into the Errol character (man with scars) more...1 episode for a man the whole series was based on.
The lads finding the old woman who could remember the price she paid for the paint job about 20 years ago...no offence but seriously doubtful and fairly convenient!

Quality stuff though all said and done!
First time True Detective has been accused of being rushed :)
I remember I paid 400 kronur to get a puncture fixed in 1985 in Copenhagen. I also remember the expression on the guys face when I exclaimed "400 effin kronur!". Not that that memory detail by the elderly woman mattered much in this drama, but people do remember what they pay for, for certain things especially if it was a big event.
In the scheme of this 8 part drama, Errol the character, didn't matter that much. The whole series wasn't based on him, it was based on finding him.
It was a drama which achieved a balance between the investigation on finding him and the various inner struggles the characters went through.
I would have been disappointed had the camera left Marty or Rust for more than a minute.

JimStynes

I thought it was a bit rushed at the end as well. What a great show though, just wish it went on for another two episodes to clear a few things up.

This fella has some good points but a little bit too critical
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2014/03/the-disappointing-finale-of-true-detective.html

Tony Baloney

Yis don't need everything wrapped up with a wee bow. For grown up programmes like True Detective the audience shouldn't need spoon-fed.

ONeill

All in the eye of the beholder I suppose. I found the ending dismal and predictable, but appealing to those who wanted to find a sort of pretensive philosophical meaning. It was OK, just. What was disappointing was that it was a poor narrative as a whole. It had so much potential to be different.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

Quote from: JimStynes on March 12, 2014, 10:42:29 PM
I thought it was a bit rushed at the end as well. What a great show though, just wish it went on for another two episodes to clear a few things up.

This fella has some good points but a little bit too critical
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2014/03/the-disappointing-finale-of-true-detective.html
A review which missed by a country mile what the drama was about and griped about what it should have been about. Deconstruction critics are 2 a penny.
Any pretentious idiot can stand off a drama and gripe about any scene using the particular language of critique while heaping praise on past dubious dramas and also referencing other dramas like Homicide (season one) which actually did carry off the "narrative" (what a corny word) of the superbly dramatic  and intense interrogation.

LeoMc

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on February 23, 2014, 11:53:20 PM
Line of duty on BBC 2 is well worth getting into,  the first series with Lennie James was fantastic but this one so far has at least equalled if not surpassed it

Just watched episodes 4&5 there, that was some last 20 minutes, the interview scene was class. More twists than a FF politician.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: LeoMc on March 12, 2014, 11:31:30 PM
Line of duty on BBC 2 is well worth getting into,  the first series with Lennie James was fantastic but this one so far has at least equalled if not surpassed it

Just watched episodes 4&5 there, that was some last 20 minutes, the interview scene was class. More twists than a FF politician.
That bitch is obviously fitting up Dryden.

ONeill

Quote from: The Iceman on March 07, 2014, 11:28:27 PM
Watched Season 1 of "24" over the past week or two. Lost it a little in the late teen episodes but for the most part it was very well done and some nice twists and turns.
I am a little daunted at the prospect of watching another 24 episodes of it - its a big commitment.

Something I have on the back burner...

Tony Baloney

We Got Game on RTE One. Liam McHale great athlete.

TabClear

The big bang theory has been commissioned for another 3 series to 2017.  ;D ;D Great news, it and rules of engagement are the two best American sitcom's at the minute imo.

Main Street

My backlogged queue of unwatched dramas is getting too long, Silk S3  Breaking Bad s5  House of Cards S2  etc etc
and now  the randy sleeper agents are back in The Americans. I didn't think that drama would  catch enough attention in the USA to warrant another series, maybe it's a case of the positive review kept it going.
The original storyline was a great place to start, how soviet spies could become a normal american couple, could raise a normal family, amidst a life of espionage and a web of duplicity  and still come out smelling apple pie.

LeoMc

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 12, 2014, 11:46:27 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on March 12, 2014, 11:31:30 PM

That bitch is obviously fitting up Dryden.
It looked the other way round last week so there could be another twist yet.  Still think there may be more to Cotton especially after his meeting with his old team mate (Neil Morrissey).

ONeill

Episode 4 of True Detective tonight...hotting up nicely.

laoislad

Just started watching Banshee. Seems pretty decent so far.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.