TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: gallsman on February 24, 2014, 11:46:47 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 12, 2014, 04:07:14 PM
Brave call after four episodes but I think True Detective might finally replace the giant Wire shaped hole in my life after five years. HBO are the masters.

Given structure of the show, difficult to see how they can get more than one or two seasons out of it though.

Episode 6 has confirmed this. TD is up there with the other HBO masterpieces of the Wire, Sopranos and Deadwood.
Yeah, Episode 4 and 5 were humdingers. Episode 6 is one emotional intense confrontation after another coming to a boil, between Marty and Rust, Marty and wife, Rust and the Major, Rust and Marty's wife, Marty and himself (both lose),
Rust and his demons (demon wins -  no contest). Along with a couple of Rust intense style interrogations and interviews.
There's only one thing to do while waiting for Ep 7 to come along, watch the whole lot again.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Main Street on February 25, 2014, 01:26:53 PM
Brave call after four episodes but I think True Detective might finally replace the giant Wire shaped hole in my life after five years. HBO are the masters.

Given structure of the show, difficult to see how they can get more than one or two seasons out of it though.

Episode 6 has confirmed this. TD is up there with the other HBO masterpieces of the Wire, Sopranos and Deadwood.
Yeah, Episode 4 and 5 were humdingers. Episode 6 is one emotional intense confrontation after another coming to a boil, between Marty and Rust, Marty and wife, Rust and the Major, Rust and Marty's wife, Marty and himself (both lose),
Rust and his demons (demon wins -  no contest). Along with a couple of Rust intense style interrogations and interviews.
There's only one thing to do while waiting for Ep 7 to come along, watch the whole lot again.

Saw Ep6 last night - this thing just gets better and better.  McConaghey is incredible.  Again.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

nrico2006

I have only seen the first one and didn't think it was anything special.  Were the first one or two episodes slow burners?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Main Street

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 26, 2014, 09:38:01 AM
I have only seen the first one and didn't think it was anything special.  Were the first one or two episodes slow burners?
if you are not into slow burns then don't bother with this one.
After Ep 1& 2, it just burns slower and slower, perks up a bit at the end of ep 4 and ep 5, but slows down in Ep6. The range of louisiana and cajun drawls seem to get slower too, I'd need subtitles to understand  some, like  the ex-preacher in EP6,  most times I just have a ballpark guess at what Rust and Marty are saying.

For those who are gripped, one of the fascinations of the story is the contrast between the witness accounts of the past incidents, compared to the camera's account.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on February 26, 2014, 02:10:38 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 26, 2014, 09:38:01 AM
if you are not into slow burns then don't bother with this one.
After Ep 1& 2, it just burns slower and slower, perks up a bit at the end of ep 4 and ep 5, but slows down in Ep6. The range of louisiana and cajun drawls seem to get slower too, I'd need subtitles to understand  some, like  the ex-preacher in EP6,  most times I just have a ballpark guess at what Rust and Marty are saying.

For those who are gripped, one of the fascinations of the story is the contrast between the witness accounts of the past incidents, compared to the camera's account.
I watched Ep 1 last night and the hooks are in. I'm more than happy with a slow burn if the conclusion is worth it. Will have them all watched by Sunday.

Tony Baloney

Marty's fancy bit in Episode 2  :P :-*

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 26, 2014, 09:54:58 PM

Quote from: laoislad on January 30, 2014, 02:03:01 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 29, 2014, 11:56:03 PM
Three episodes in and True Detective is getting very, very good.
It's excellent.
Great set of tits in episode 2 aswell  ;D

Told ya  :)

Watched episode 6 tonight. Didn't disappoint but is anyone else finding it hard to understand some of the accents?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on February 26, 2014, 10:49:31 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 26, 2014, 09:54:58 PM

Quote from: laoislad on January 30, 2014, 02:03:01 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 29, 2014, 11:56:03 PM
Three episodes in and True Detective is getting very, very good.
It's excellent.
Great set of tits in episode 2 aswell  ;D

Told ya  :)

Watched episode 6 tonight. Didn't disappoint but is anyone else finding it hard to understand some of the accents?
The missus keeps asking me what people are saying!

Some body on yer one.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on February 24, 2014, 12:04:13 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 23, 2014, 06:04:18 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 23, 2014, 05:36:58 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 23, 2014, 05:24:12 PM
Is anyone well on in House of Cards - third episode from end - WTF like.
Watching the last 2 tonight. WTF indeed  :o
Is the 2nd series worth watching for that WTF moment or is it a  despairing WTF?

Not worth it for that alone. Finished it tonight and...well...a bit predictable but still very watchable for Spacey's performance and the very attractive wife.

There'll be a third series but you could nearly write it yerself.

Just finished series 2.

Has to be more series after this.

Bizarrely Walter White was a much more likeable character. But Spacey's performances are brilliant. And despite a feeling of inevitability with the overall direction, there is usually a complete curveball every now and then!

But thinking about it there is far greater scope to manoeuvre now with the plot.

Do we really have to wait till next February?
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

It's an anthology series. This story ends completely in two episodes' time. Season 2 will have a new cast and a new story.

Apparently so

Just watched the series 4 finale of Breaking Bad

Jaysus  ;D

muppet

Quote from: Apparently so on March 03, 2014, 01:17:17 AM

Jaysus  ;D

That was a great finish alright.

My missus thought it should have ended there but we would have a missed some killer episodes in series 5 if it had.
MWWSI 2017

Apparently so

Quote from: muppet on March 03, 2014, 01:27:18 AM

Jaysus  ;D

My missus thought it should have ended there but we would have a missed some killer episodes in series 5 if it had.

Was brilliant. When the camera got round to the other side of Gus's face, that was a shock  ;D

Looking forward to season 5 now

"I won"

Syferus

Jaysus  ;D

With the toilet scene? That'd have been a terrible ending. It was a cliffhanger.

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on March 03, 2014, 02:19:15 AM

Jaysus  ;D

With the toilet scene? That'd have been a terrible ending. It was a cliffhanger.

I presume he means what happens Gus. You know, like at the end of Season 4 as stated.