TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Three episodes in and True Detective is getting very, very good.

Puckoon

Anyone watched much of "An idiot abroad"? Took in the first episode tonight, thoight it was half decent! Does it stay that way?

Asal Mor

Quote from: Puckoon on January 30, 2014, 03:30:08 AM
Anyone watched much of "An idiot abroad"? Took in the first episode tonight, thoight it was half decent! Does it stay that way?

I work with a few English lads who were raving non-stop about this show last year. I thought it was just about ok. IMO it 's very staged, a la Top Gear and Bear Grylls. They're successful shows I suppose, but I always find myself watching and thinking " this is fake, this part was set-up, he's only pretending to be surprised etc. etc.". Pilkington is quite funny but not funny enough to make up for the arseholery of Gervais and his sidekick.

screenexile

Quote from: Asal Mor on January 30, 2014, 10:52:18 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on January 30, 2014, 03:30:08 AM

I work with a few English lads who were raving non-stop about this show last year. I thought it was just about ok. IMO it 's very staged, a la Top Gear and Bear Grylls. They're successful shows I suppose, but I always find myself watching and thinking " this is fake, this part was set-up, he's only pretending to be surprised etc. etc.". Pilkington is quite good but not good enough to make up for the arseholery of Gervais and his sidekick.

I don't think it's staged to the extent of a Top Gear or a Bear Grylls. If Karl knew exactly what he was getting himself in for he wouldn't agree to half the stuff they make him do. Yes everyone else probably knows about it but I don't think he does.

PS. I think Gervais is brilliant and anything with him and Karl in it I will watch as some of the stuff to come out of it is hilarious... This is probably my favourite thing they've done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw2bTpyHGCE

gallsman

An Idiot Abroad wasn't my cup of tea at all, thought it was pure shite. A guy ignorant of other cultures and traditions basically travels about being insulting/offensive (in a light hearted manner of course) for the amusement of others. Just don't get it.

Asal Mor

Quote from: gallsman on January 30, 2014, 11:03:47 AM
An Idiot Abroad wasn't my cup of tea at all, thought it was pure shite. A guy ignorant of other cultures and traditions basically travels about being insulting/offensive (in a light hearted manner of course) for the amusement of others. Just don't get it.

That's a good point too. I'd like to think that once the cameras are switched off, Pilkington goes back and says something along the lines of "Sorry for being a moaning cnut. I was just playing up for the cameras. Your way of life is actually really interesting and thank you for teaching me about it."

NAG1

Quote from: Asal Mor on January 30, 2014, 11:47:28 AM
Quote from: gallsman on January 30, 2014, 11:03:47 AM

That's a good point too. I'd like to think that once the cameras are switched off, Pilkington goes back and says something along the lines of "Sorry for being a moaning cnut. I was just playing up for the cameras. Your way of life is actually really interesting and thank you for teaching me about it."

When you have someone as smug as Ricky Gervais in the background of this show it is hard to have any real connection with Pilkington.

His own follow up show to this, 'The Moaning of life' I found a better watch because on the surface anyway it lacks that school boys childish element that Gervais seems to bring to everything he does.

laoislad

Quote from: gallsman on January 29, 2014, 11:56:03 PM
It's excellent.
Great set of tits in episode 2 aswell  ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on January 30, 2014, 02:03:01 PM
It's excellent.

Has it started on Sky yet?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

playwiththewind1st

It's excellent.

Well - there's a recommendation & a 1/2 !!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 30, 2014, 08:28:26 PM
It's excellent.

22 Feb I think on Sky Atlantic.

gallsman

It's excellent.

Alexandra Daddario. A special one.

Canalman

4 episodes into the Following. Humming and hawing about whether to continue further. Seems glossy but lacking a bit of substance so far.

Rois

Quote from: Canalman on January 31, 2014, 10:41:41 AM
4 episodes into the Following. Humming and hawing about whether to continue further. Seems glossy but lacking a bit of substance so far.
You're on Series 1?  I loved it.  Lots of twists to come.

Series 2 I'm not so sure about after two episodes. 

Main Street

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 30, 2014, 09:08:09 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 30, 2014, 08:28:26 PM
It's excellent.

22 Feb I think on Sky Atlantic.
Not to be missed.
From the opening scene, True Detective has been superb, even the music just fits exactly for the moment, the place and the mood.
It's one for the ages.