TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Quote from: gallsman on October 16, 2013, 03:33:56 PM
I've finally caught up on Breaking Bad. Thoroughly enjoying it (8 eps to go) but don't think it deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as The Wire, Sopranos or Deadwood.

I'm just finished the first series (Breaking Bad) and I'd be inclined to agree with you (except for Deadwood, which is great, but like Breaking bad, not on a par with Wire or Sopranos). 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

muppet

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 17, 2013, 08:58:04 AM
I've finally caught up on Breaking Bad. Thoroughly enjoying it (8 eps to go) but don't think it deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as The Wire, Sopranos or Deadwood.

I'm just finished the first series (Breaking Bad) and I'd be inclined to agree with you (except for Deadwood, which is great, but like Breaking bad, not on a par with Wire or Sopranos).

If you sit down to watch a match someone told you was the best ever played, you won't have made your mind up after 15 minutes. In fact subconsciously you might already be prejudiced against it in sheer bloodymindedness. But by the end of series 4 Breaking Bad will have grown on you, into you, consumed you and then spat you out, happy. Ish.

Then there is series 5.
MWWSI 2017

Canalman

Gave up on Deadwood after a couple of episodes. Treme after 35 minutes and Love/Hate after two episodes of season 1.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: muppet on October 17, 2013, 12:30:25 PM

If you sit down to watch a match someone told you was the best ever played, you won't have made your mind up after 15 minutes. In fact subconsciously you might already be prejudiced against it in sheer bloodymindedness. But by the end of series 4 Breaking Bad will have grown on you, into you, consumed you and then spat you out, happy. Ish.

Then there is series 5.

I loved BB but its still not better than those 2. Game of thrones I would rater higher as well.
#newbridgeornowhere

Main Street

I watched a few of BB in series 5 but haven't been inclined to get back to it. Maybe I will sometime.
The contrived crash bang wallop doesn't do it for me in series after series. An interesting plot starts to go haywire, too many absurdities.
In a series like OZ, the plot starts to go around in circles after series 3.

I still laugh when I think of the concluding Wire series, McNulty and outrageous serial killer stroke he tried to pull off.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on October 17, 2013, 01:14:20 PM
I watched a few of BB in series 5 but haven't been inclined to get back to it. Maybe I will sometime.
The contrived crash bang wallop doesn't do it for me in series after series. An interesting plot starts to go haywire, too many absurdities.

I still laugh when I think of the concluding Wire series, McNulty and outrageous serial killer stroke he tried to pull off.
Really weak storyline. If they had tried that in the first season it would have been dead in the water.

I still rate The Sopranos and most of The Wire above Breaking Bad.

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 17, 2013, 12:52:07 PM

Then there is series 5.

I loved BB but its still not better than those 2. Game of thrones I would rater higher as well.
The missus and I have been recording Game of Thrones and started to watch S1E1 the other night. I was doing a wee bit of work on my knee but I looked up there was some chap dogging his sister whilst watched by some young kid. The wife said the 2 hard at it were brother and sister!  :o

screenexile

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 17, 2013, 01:30:09 PM

Really weak storyline. If they had tried that in the first season it would have been dead in the water.

Then there is series 5.

The missus and I have been recording Game of Thrones and started to watch S1E1 the other night. I was doing a wee bit of work on my knee but I looked up there was some chap dogging his sister whilst watched by some young kid. The wife said the 2 hard at it were brother and sister!  :o

That's pretty tame stuff in comparison to the rest of it . . . it's completely mental but highly addictive!

J OGorman

Then there is series 5.

indeed, you can see a couple of WJ Dolan tops draped over a chair in the background

screenexile

Quote from: J OGorman on October 17, 2013, 01:44:41 PM

Then there is series 5.

indeed, you can see a couple of WJ Dolan tops draped over a chair in the background

;D ;D ;D ;D Enjoyed that one!!

Main Street

The Wire was dead in the water when it came out, probably the reviews kept it going. And yes it would have been quite ridiculous for the writers of The Wire to start with the McNulty serial killer story because it was a 5th series storyline. It took the previous 4 series to get to that part and it was neatly wrapped into the Newspaper decline /decline of news standards and the cynical theme of the 5th series. The McNulty serial killer stroke was an ingredient of the cynical end , that's all, not a key part, probably the dumb playable journalist was more key to the theme of the 5th series.                                               
That's how it goes with differently 'perspectived'  5 series show, with an ongoing underlying theme, different viewers will have their favourites and their weak parts. You may be confused that your opinion is the one and only true one :) 
Some people might have preferred the Omar to go out in a blaze of destructive glory instead of his ignominious end,
possibly they would have remembered that much more.

nrico2006

Then there is series 5.

Its really not that bad dirt wise, not a patch on Spartacus.  There is maybe one bit of nudity per episode.  Have watched season 2 episode one and two just the other day.  Brilliant show.  Thought it would be dung along the lines of LOTR but its not. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

DownFanatic

Wentworth Prison on 5 isn't bad.

ONeill

Dear Mister Cranston,

I've just finished a marathon of watching 'BREAKING BAD' – from episode one of the First Season – to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing. I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant! Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen – ever.

I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullshit in this business, and I've sort of lost belief in anything really. But this work of yours is spectacular – absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers... every department – casting etc... managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is awesome.

From what started as a black comedy, descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to – would you pass on my admiration to everyone – Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, RJ Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada – everyone – everyone gave master classes of performance... The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence. You and all the cast are the best actors I've ever seen. That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It's almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this email.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards,
Tony Hopkins

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/oct/17/anthony-hopkins-bryan-cranston-breaking-bad-fan-letter
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on October 19, 2013, 09:49:16 AM
Dear Mister Cranston,

I've just finished a marathon of watching 'BREAKING BAD' – from episode one of the First Season – to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing. I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant! Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen – ever.

I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullshit in this business, and I've sort of lost belief in anything really. But this work of yours is spectacular – absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers... every department – casting etc... managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is awesome.

From what started as a black comedy, descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to – would you pass on my admiration to everyone – Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, RJ Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada – everyone – everyone gave master classes of performance... The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence. You and all the cast are the best actors I've ever seen. That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It's almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this email.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards,
Tony Hopkins

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/oct/17/anthony-hopkins-bryan-cranston-breaking-bad-fan-letter

Either he means season 5 or I will turn into Heisenberg!
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

Just finished BB. Thoroughly enjoyed and it really ramped up over the last few episodes, downright brutal at times.