TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

It feels like a classical tragedy so I expect (as someone said above) for Walt to reach some form of catharsis by performing one last act of kindness i.e. saving Jesse, before inevitable death.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 19, 2013, 09:52:27 PM
It feels like a classical tragedy so I expect (as someone said above) for Walt to reach some form of catharsis by performing one last act of kindness i.e. saving Jesse, before inevitable death.

the final two episode are extended, 75 mins each instead of the usual 60
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on September 19, 2013, 09:40:24 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 19, 2013, 12:17:15 PM
SPOILERS AHEAD *** SPOILERS AHEAD *** SPOILERS AHEAD *** SPOILERS AHEAD *** SPOILERS AHEAD *** SPOILERS AHEAD

Though I suppose we can forget about spoilers at this stage, chunks of the plot having been revealed, especially to anyone who's a season or two behind.

I don't see Walt going to save Jesse after his last words with him. I don't understand that bit myself. Why did he feel the need to reveal that to Jesse and why the vehemence? He was only reluctantly going ahead with the plan for Jesse until then - just couldn't avoid it, from his point of view and also feeling he had no choice as he was acting under virtual direction from the Mrs. for the sake of the family.

I'd thought about this a few times since. Just like the call to the missus, he didn't become a bad b**tard all of a sudden. Was it because Jesse was being resistant at the time and liable to be shot? After Walt revealed that he watched the girl die, Jesse was emotionally beaten and perhaps less likely to be aggressive to his captives?

I was thinking along somewhat similar lines - maybe he's doing Jesse a kindness by taking away his fear of death or anything else that's coming. Such an awful revelation could make you feel you have nothing to live for, to the extent that you'd welcome death. Another possibility, that would be true to the show's style and the general rule that there's never a single loose end, is that is has a significance which will become clear later.

Syferus

Quote from: Hardy on September 19, 2013, 10:08:01 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 19, 2013, 09:40:24 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 19, 2013, 12:17:15 PM
SPOILERS AHEAD *** SPOILERS AHEAD *** SPOILERS AHEAD *** SPOILERS AHEAD *** SPOILERS AHEAD *** SPOILERS AHEAD

Though I suppose we can forget about spoilers at this stage, chunks of the plot having been revealed, especially to anyone who's a season or two behind.

I don't see Walt going to save Jesse after his last words with him. I don't understand that bit myself. Why did he feel the need to reveal that to Jesse and why the vehemence? He was only reluctantly going ahead with the plan for Jesse until then - just couldn't avoid it, from his point of view and also feeling he had no choice as he was acting under virtual direction from the Mrs. for the sake of the family.

I'd thought about this a few times since. Just like the call to the missus, he didn't become a bad b**tard all of a sudden. Was it because Jesse was being resistant at the time and liable to be shot? After Walt revealed that he watched the girl die, Jesse was emotionally beaten and perhaps less likely to be aggressive to his captives?

I was thinking along somewhat similar lines - maybe he's doing Jesse a kindness by taking away his fear of death or anything else that's coming. Such an awful revelation could make you feel you have nothing to live for, to the extent that you'd welcome death. Another possibility, that would be true to the show's style and the general rule that there's never a single loose end, is that is has a significance which will become clear later.

Seemed pretty clear to me he did that just to stick the knife in as he was transferring the blame for all that had just happened, losing his fortune, Hank dying to Jesse. I think the game has changed now that Walt. Jr. knows the truth and his marriage has finally reached the point of no return.

Walt's lost his legacy and his family and the best he can do now is right any remaining wrongs.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Spoiler - (although anyone who gets this far without being spoiled is either blind or Mike Sheehy).

WW has always been a Jekyl and Hyde character, caught between the decent Walter White and the Drug Baron Heisenberg.

The phone call  was fantastic TV because he sounded to the cops like Heisenberg, but to Skylar it was Walt. Jesse's future depends on which of his personas comes to the fore in the next show.

Todd's reason for keeping Jesse alive became obvious but why keep Walt alive as well? They had all the money they could dream of. Hank was off the case. Keeping Walt alive was a mistake Gus wouldn't have made and I reckon one Heisenberg wouldn't make.

Thus I there will be a re-union of Todd's uncle and Heisenberg, despite the handshake. This should bring in Jesse and Todd as well. I am also wondering where Lydia, the girl in the heels, comes back into it.

There maybe something from left field such as Hank's wife Marie cutting loose with a weapon or something.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: ONeill on September 19, 2013, 11:05:00 PM
He still has 11m.

That money is just pity money from the Nazis, he had no hand in getting it from them and everything up to this point tells us he he was proud of his legacy to the level that it boardered on tyranny.

He kills two birds with one stone by wasting the Nazis.

screenexile

Quote from: Under Lights on September 20, 2013, 01:13:42 PM
Quote from: hardstation on September 20, 2013, 11:59:24 AM
I've never seen this show but from what I had heard of it....

A chemistry teacher gets cancer and starts knocking out meth to support his family.

How the fcuk did it get to the Nazis? I'll need to watch this.

LOL my exact thoughts. That's all I knew about the show too.

Anyone watch Homeland. Returns at the end of this month. The first episode of this series has been spoiled online though. You can basically read exactly what happens on wikipedia. Which I did  :-\

Or you could just watch it... like I did! It's shaping up quite well!

Main Street

If folks can get away from Breaking Bad obsession, there's a good 'made for tv' 2 part series, starting on TG4 tonight 11.45pm.
Vincent Cassel (at his best) in Mesrine public enemy nr 1
Real drama about real crime ;D

Asal Mor

Just watched episode 15 of BB. Not sure anyone will agree but IMO the best yet.

qubdub

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 23, 2013, 03:24:40 PM
Dying to see the next one now! Well set up for a grand finale.

AFS

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 23, 2013, 03:24:40 PM

Meh. Thought it was a lot less craic than most of the recent episodes. A tee up for next week's big one.

muppet

************* Spoilers Coming *********

In last nights episode the TV in the bar made reference to a (fictional obviously) New York Times column by Andrew Ross Sorkin (author of the excellent Too Big to Fail).

Today, Sorkin actually wrote the article. See it here:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/09/23/breaking-bad-the-gray-matter-of-charity/?smid=tw-share&_r=0
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

I thought that was a very sad episode.

Still very hard to predict. Poor oul Jesse.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

Quote from: Main Street on September 20, 2013, 10:42:27 PM
If folks can get away from Breaking Bad obsession, there's a good 'made for tv' 2 part series, starting on TG4 tonight 11.45pm.
Vincent Cassel (at his best) in Mesrine public enemy nr 1
Real drama about real crime ;D

Great show I downloaded it a year ago but it's great stuff!