TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: ballinaman on June 14, 2013, 09:18:27 AM
Quote from: Canalman on June 14, 2013, 09:10:58 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on June 14, 2013, 08:56:44 AM
Watched the 1st two episodes of Game of Thrones last night to see what all the crowing is about......

How far into the 1st season does Gandalf and Frodo come into it?

Just introducing the characters/ kingdoms etc at this stage. Bit hard to grasp it all imvho at that stage but definitely picks up.
I'll stick with it, might stick on the subtitles though for the next few episodes until I get further into it...hard to hear the weird names of lads and places sometimes!

Probably the worst part of the series is there's so many threads and some of them move slowly as a result, it's probably ideal for box set style viewing because you can fly through it and not get as lost when the shit hits the fan. Stick with it for the first ten, it'll be worth it.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Canalman on June 16, 2013, 02:40:34 PM
Saw two great episodes 5 and 6 (I think) of Hannibal last night. Series is hotting up and has my attention now.

Snap.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

nrico2006

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 17, 2013, 10:05:29 AM
Quote from: Canalman on June 16, 2013, 02:40:34 PM
Saw two great episodes 5 and 6 (I think) of Hannibal last night. Series is hotting up and has my attention now.

Snap.

I watched 5 and 6 last night too and thought they were better than had went before.  Wonder who owned the arm, doubt it really is the dolls from My Girl, have a feeling she still has a part to play.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Jonah

nrico does it ever cross your mind that maybe not everyone has watched as far ahead in the episodes of TV Shows as you have?

nrico2006

Quote from: Jonah on June 17, 2013, 12:12:31 PM
nrico does it ever cross your mind that maybe not everyone has watched as far ahead in the episodes of TV Shows as you have?

I thought every man, woman and child in the World had watched the most recent episode of Hannibal.  What exactly did I 'spoil' for you anyway?  Not too hard to avoid posts that identify episodes that you have yet to watch in the first sentence of the post.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ballinaman

Quote from: Syferus on June 16, 2013, 11:21:50 PM
Watched the 1st two episodes of Game of Thrones last night to see what all the crowing is about......

Just introducing the characters/ kingdoms etc at this stage. Bit hard to grasp it all imvho at that stage but definitely picks up.
I'll stick with it, might stick on the subtitles though for the next few episodes until I get further into it...hard to hear the weird names of lads and places sometimes!

Probably the worst part of the series is there's so many threads and some of them move slowly as a result, it's probably ideal for box set style viewing because you can fly through it and not get as lost when the shit hits the fan. Stick with it for the first ten, it'll be worth it.
Season 2 episode 10 to watch tonight, flying through them.
What was the craic with yer wan breast feeding the young lad in the Vale? Needless!

Canalman

Quote from: ballinaman on June 18, 2013, 01:14:49 PM

What was the craic with yer wan breast feeding the young lad in the Vale? Needless!

Saw that episode last night. Not much to it .......... mostly imo setting up the next series.

Now time for you to "crow" on about it like the rest of us.

Something about GoTs that gets under your skin. Difficult at beginning to get a grasp of all the characters. Personally think a more boxset type programme as opposed to the wait a week for the next episode type watching.

ballinaman

Quote from: Canalman on June 18, 2013, 02:11:06 PM

Saw that episode last night. Not much to it .......... mostly imo setting up the next series.

Something about GoTs that gets under your skin. Difficult at beginning to get a grasp of all the characters. Personally think a more boxset type programme as opposed to the wait a week for the next episode type watching.
Couldn't wait a week, would lose track of who was who nearly.
I don't know how to explain it, but some of the scenes  are a bit cringe, I'm nearly embarrassed for the actors watching it. The acting isn't patch on Breaking Bad or The Wire.

tyssam5

Quote from: ballinaman on June 18, 2013, 02:29:43 PM

I don't know how to explain it, but some of the scenes  are a bit cringe, I'm nearly embarrassed for the actors watching it. The acting isn't patch on Breaking Bad or The Wire.

They aren't very similar shows, unless I missed Omar capping that dragon one time.

Celt_Man

Quote from: tyssam5 on June 18, 2013, 06:06:28 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on June 18, 2013, 02:29:43 PM

They aren't very similar shows, unless I missed Omar capping that dragon one time.

Fool, Omar be holding up the Lannister's shit all the time
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

omagh_gael

The acting isn't as good as BB etc. but the subject matter and sheer volume of characters/storylines makes this task nearly impossible. GOT's strength is the world that George rr Martin has created and only by reading the books or spending time to go through the extras on the DVD's to get a better knoweldge of the families, history and politics of Westeros/Essoss do you really get fully drawn into the whole GoT's world.

While the Red Wedding was a very good bit of TV, the suspense built up during the relevant chapter in the book, IMO, blew the TV version out of the water. I am halfway through Dance with Dragons and I'm already dreading reaching the end!

Really can't wait for the next series, the second half of A Storm of Swords is fantastic. Definitely the high point of all five books.

ballinaman

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 19, 2013, 12:00:33 AM
The acting isn't as good as BB etc. but the subject matter and sheer volume of characters/storylines makes this task nearly impossible. GOT's strength is the world that George rr Martin has created and only by reading the books or spending time to go through the extras on the DVD's to get a better knoweldge of the families, history and politics of Westeros/Essoss do you really get fully drawn into the whole GoT's world.

While the Red Wedding was a very good bit of TV, the suspense built up during the relevant chapter in the book, IMO, blew the TV version out of the water. I am halfway through Dance with Dragons and I'm already dreading reaching the end!

Really can't wait for the next series, the second half of A Storm of Swords is fantastic. Definitely the high point of all five books.
Finished it last night....Good show, a hell of a lot better than most movies out there but the fan boy/ wet knickers response to it is a bit over the top IMO!

NAG1

Just a word on James Gandolfini, was amazing in the Sopranos one of my all time favourite shows!
RIP Tony

laoislad

Quote from: NAG1 on June 20, 2013, 10:50:37 AM
Just a word on James Gandolfini, was amazing in the Sopranos one of my all time favourite shows!
RIP Tony

Never watched any of it.  Would it be worth downlanding and watching from the start?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Minder

Quote from: laoislad on June 20, 2013, 10:54:39 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 20, 2013, 10:50:37 AM
RIP Tony

Never watched any of it.  Would it be worth downlanding and watching from the start?

Ah you don't know what your missing, brilliant show.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"