Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 21, 2018, 04:51:32 PM

I know they are.

My point is much wider than just these job cuts. The economic competitiveness of the North relative to other places in the world meant jobs were flowing out long before this instance - and other work was not being sent here.

Not correct.

the economic competitiveness of the  North is why jobs are going there and why the services and technology business is growing. Skilled manufacturing jobs are moving to lower cost areas with better natural resources.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: weareros on November 21, 2018, 06:40:59 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 21, 2018, 06:31:12 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 21, 2018, 04:55:46 PM
If parliament reject it then it's straight into hard Brexit or am I missing something.

Your missing everything if you think rejection of this deal == hard Brexit!

Rejection of this deal means Theresa can either (i)try to renegotiate the deal, (ii)resign, (iii)put the deal to referendum rather than parliament (iv)exit without a deal (v)don't exit.

All those choices are not in UK hands. Because they have invoked Art 50, all 27 EU states would need to agree to any kind of extension, otherwise they crash out without a deal at end of March if they don't get something sorted.

These clowns seem to think article 50 is a trendy pub in Belfast or something
The biggest mistake the UK government made was triggering it before they had all this sorted.
Now they have to take this deal or it's hard Brexit as far as the EU are concerned.
If it goes tits up in parliament then how will it be sorted prior to March.
Another referendum to stay I don't think so

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjpmJiblObeAhVMKMAKHfj8AtkQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fnews.sky.com%2Fstory%2Famber-rudd-says-parliament-will-stop-a-no-deal-brexit-happening-11559382&psig=AOvVaw1oFoEUfJUdincgjSZgjtEV&ust=1542912797939037
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

RadioGAAGAA

All those choices are not in UK hands.

I believe there is a court case with the ECJ right now deciding whether the UK can stop Art. 50.

Because they have invoked Art 50, all 27 EU states would need to agree to any kind of extension, otherwise they crash out without a deal at end of March if they don't get something sorted.

end of March is months away. What big negotiations do you know of that didn't go down to the wire - each side pushing one last compromise?
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: heganboy on November 21, 2018, 06:43:57 PM
the economic competitiveness of the  North is why jobs are going there and why the services and technology business is growing.

Relatively low wages + high number of pretty educated graduates.

Quote from: heganboy on November 21, 2018, 06:43:57 PM
Skilled manufacturing jobs are moving to lower cost areas with better natural resources.

Bombardier themselves moved work out of Belfast to Morocco because of cheaper costs - which were a large part due to electricity. If the electricity prices here had matched, then they'd have likely kept the work here as the costs of training up, ramping up and dealing with the mistakes of, Morocco wouldn't have been worth it.

Its not just wages. Its not just power. Or infrastructure.

Its a mix. Due to crap power market here, folks lost out. But hey, we've pretty windmills that sit idle half the time. Yay.  ::)
i usse an speelchekor

Smokin Joe

Our company is investing in Belfast, creating jobs that had previously been lost as the large multi-nationals have rationalized and reduced their presence in NI.

So it's pretty galling to see the DUP saying that they don't want this current deal to go through.  Whatever about the rights and wrongs of this deal, right now supporting this Deal is the only way to prevent us crashing out in a No Deal scenario.  Any other path is pure fantasy at this stage.  The legislation that was passed has us leaving the EU on March 29th 2019 unless we get an agreed transition, ie the Withdrawal Agreement.

The DUP need to listen to the businesses that are employing people, or maybe they would prefer we invested in the Republic of Ireland.

uimhr ocht

business leaders and farmers union all are in favour of the deal makes me wonder what the dup are are about,if protecting the union is all they think about whats going to happen when nationalists have the majority in the north? demographics predicts by 2022 whats going to happen union then?

Hardy

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 21, 2018, 04:55:46 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 21, 2018, 04:47:16 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 21, 2018, 04:37:35 PM
You could be right
I was just aligning my logic with the person assigned to dealing with the quest of taking the Uk out of the E U
Her names Treasa something and she's in Brussels right now going over it with some guy called Juncker
Your list of possibilities doesn't seem to be on her agenda
Come parliament later in the week it might but if you don't mind I'll go with the British PMs take on things

That's fine for you to go ahead and do that.

But if parliament ends up rejecting her deal (which is not just possible, but probably more likely than not) - then ultimately the decision isn't in her hands.

If parliament reject it then it's straight into hard Brexit or am I missing something.
British public opinion is get on with it, not let's have another referendum.

I don't think so.

Granted this was four months ago, but the momentum for a new referendum has only increased since then, particularly as a result of the almost universal opposition to the May deal.

Milltown Row2

Ah, but how much will the wine cost?

Wife was at a Wine tasting thingy the other day, cost me £90 for 12 bottles!

Need to get it sorted!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

There's a lot of football to be played yet. March is ages away in negotiating terms.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 21, 2018, 08:34:07 PM
Ah, but how much will the wine cost?

Wife was at a Wine tasting thingy the other day, cost me £90 for 12 bottles!

Need to get it sorted!

That's British media censorship for you
Not a mention of the impact for you and the mrs
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Gold

Why in under god is Jim Wilson standing at a microphone on this Nolan show

WTF Thread
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

seafoid

Theresa May agreed on a text and within less than 2 weeks the ERG and their no deal died with their boots on.

The reason why no deal failed is because it was fake and existed only in hyperreality .

https://ceasefiremagazine.co.uk/in-theory-baudrillard-9/

« Hyperreality  is a special kind of social reality in which a reality is created or simulated from models,  – a reality generated from ideas. . too perfect to be true »

It must wear Arlene out. Someone should explain the problem to the UFU

https://youtu.be/n5h0qHwNrHk
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 22, 2018, 05:09:16 PM
Meanwhile on today's Loose Women on UTV. Not Photoshoped.

I bet he still talked more sense than the DUP.

RedHand88

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 22, 2018, 05:09:16 PM
Meanwhile on today's Loose Women on UTV. Not Photoshoped.

This is the problem. People would rather listen to this than people who offer real insight into the ramifications of Brexit.

imtommygunn

I would say he would have about as much business acumen as Pengelly and Sammy Wilson put together...