Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: yellowcard on November 21, 2018, 03:36:33 PM
The Scottish bridge is just classic DUP diversionary tactics. They could'nt get the Narrow Water Bridge built connecting South Down to North Louth which was a few hundred metres long.

Building a 30 mile bridge from the economic wastelands of Scotland to the north is pure la la land stuff. Big Ian is just looking a bit of the limelight, he missed out over the last month due to his suspension.   

Sammy dragged his feet for a long time over funds for that one. They didn't want it built anyway, as it would have linked the North to the "Irish Republic".

Something fishy about that whole thing anyway. Something like £9 million over budget. I mean, how the feck do you go £9 million over? £900,000 maybe. But £9 million?!

I don't think it was ever going to happen.

trailer

Quote from: NAG1 on November 21, 2018, 03:01:42 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 21, 2018, 02:57:17 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 21, 2018, 02:25:30 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 21, 2018, 02:20:26 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 21, 2018, 02:17:29 PM
Anyone attacking Nicola Sturgeon hasn't got a clue. One of the best politicians around and has the best interests of Scotland at heart. If only we had a few like her in NI we'd be a hell of a lot better off.

Who's attacking her, you sound like a paranoid unionist.
Just trying to reason with her motives.

You clearly don't understand. Her motives are quite clear. If you haven't the mental capacity to understand them then that's for you to fix.

"Taken out of the EU against our will, taken out of the single market and customs union against our economic interests...that's the cost to Scotland of not being independent."

Ok mister smarter than me how does the above statement correlate with gathering up a possy and collaborating with the DUP to train wreck a deal that's better than a hard Brexit for Scotland.
Instead of getting personal why don't you answer my question. Did I attack Her
Are you Sryefus by any chance
The Dunning- Kruger effect is strong in you.

Not that difficult to get actually.

The current deal keeps NI effectively in the SM and CU, therefore making it a more attractive place to do business. Setting it on a direct competition pathway with scotland.

It's  a case of "These cows are small, those are far away. Small. Far away."

I'll break it down. NI and Scotland compete for investment. NI will be in a far superior position to Scotland because of backstop in the withdrawal agreement. First Minister Nicola Sturgeon recognises this. She's looking to protect Scottish interests and Jobs.
But yeah go with collaborating with DUP, and train wrecks.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 21, 2018, 03:11:27 PM
It's this Deal or no deal

That is where your logic is incomplete.

(i) this deal
(ii) no deal
(iii) no Brexit
and I suppose
(iv) referendum to choose between the above
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: yellowcard on November 21, 2018, 02:19:15 PM
500 jobs announced to go in Bombardier next spring. More trouble for the DUP closer to home as they swan around Westminster losing sight of what is important.

I don't know if it is still true, but at one point electricity prices here were 3x (yes three times) that of Bombardier plants in the US & Canada.

But the local politicians sat on their arse - no - worse - they rolled out all these half baked green schemes without once stopping to understand the sums and the ripple effects there would be.

Clowns. Inept, stupid, ignorant clowns.

i usse an speelchekor

HiMucker

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 21, 2018, 04:16:19 PM

(i) this deal
(ii) no deal
(iii) no Brexit
and I suppose
Yes. Though given that May looks to have held off a leadership challenge Id say options 3 and 4 are looking much less likely than they did last week. Nothing can be ruled but I get the distinct impression May will be allowed to get the deal done as no one else wants/can sort the mess out. Ironically options 3 and 4 would obviously be in their best interests but too much water has passed under the bridge. They feel they have to deliver at least some sort of brexit. Cameron will go down in history as one of the worst leaders the UK ever had.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 21, 2018, 04:16:19 PM

(i) this deal
(ii) no deal
(iii) no Brexit
and I suppose

You could be right
I was just aligning my logic with the person assigned to dealing with the quest of taking the Uk out of the E U
Her names Treasa something and she's in Brussels right now going over it with some guy called Juncker
Your list of possibilities doesn't seem to be on her agenda
Come parliament later in the week it might but if you don't mind I'll go with the British PMs take on things
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

seafoid

We have no idea what will happen in the next 4 months.
It is pure chaos.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

haranguerer

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 21, 2018, 04:21:00 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on November 21, 2018, 02:19:15 PM
500 jobs announced to go in Bombardier next spring. More trouble for the DUP closer to home as they swan around Westminster losing sight of what is important.

I don't know if it is still true, but at one point electricity prices here were 3x (yes three times) that of Bombardier plants in the US & Canada.

But the local politicians sat on their arse - no - worse - they rolled out all these half baked green schemes without once stopping to understand the sums and the ripple effects there would be.

Clowns. Inept, stupid, ignorant clowns.

They're laying thousands off in canada

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 21, 2018, 04:37:35 PM
You could be right
I was just aligning my logic with the person assigned to dealing with the quest of taking the Uk out of the E U
Her names Treasa something and she's in Brussels right now going over it with some guy called Juncker
Come parliament later in the week it might but if you don't mind I'll go with the British PMs take on things

That's fine for you to go ahead and do that.

But if parliament ends up rejecting her deal (which is not just possible, but probably more likely than not) - then ultimately the decision isn't in her hands.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: haranguerer on November 21, 2018, 04:45:47 PM
They're laying thousands off in canada

I know they are.

My point is much wider than just these job cuts. The economic competitiveness of the North relative to other places in the world meant jobs were flowing out long before this instance - and other work was not being sent here.

[Bombardier put their head on the guillotine just over 10 years ago and have probably been a terminal basket case since. Nothing to do with Belfast - 100% to do with Pierre Beaudoin.]
i usse an speelchekor

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 21, 2018, 04:47:16 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 21, 2018, 04:37:35 PM
You could be right

That's fine for you to go ahead and do that.

But if parliament ends up rejecting her deal (which is not just possible, but probably more likely than not) - then ultimately the decision isn't in her hands.

If parliament reject it then it's straight into hard Brexit or am I missing something.
British public opinion is get on with it, not let's have another referendum.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: trailer on November 21, 2018, 04:04:33 PM
Anyone attacking Nicola Sturgeon hasn't got a clue. One of the best politicians around and has the best interests of Scotland at heart. If only we had a few like her in NI we'd be a hell of a lot better off.

You clearly don't understand. Her motives are quite clear. If you haven't the mental capacity to understand them then that's for you to fix.

"Taken out of the EU against our will, taken out of the single market and customs union against our economic interests...that's the cost to Scotland of not being independent."

Ok mister smarter than me how does the above statement correlate with gathering up a possy and collaborating with the DUP to train wreck a deal that's better than a hard Brexit for Scotland.

The current deal keeps NI effectively in the SM and CU, therefore making it a more attractive place to do business. Setting it on a direct competition pathway with scotland.

I'll break it down. NI and Scotland compete for investment. NI will be in a far superior position to Scotland because of backstop in the withdrawal agreement. First Minister Nicola Sturgeon recognises this. She's looking to protect Scottish interests and Jobs.

How can Scotland ever get the same arrangement as the north considering the geographical circumstances and the  predicament Westminster finds itself in now. If Nicola Sturgeon thinks she can hold May to ransom by causing dissent and the EU will change it's mind on an all of UK CU deal she's deluded.
But yeah you go with how far away cows are.

trailer

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 21, 2018, 04:59:23 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 21, 2018, 04:04:33 PM

How can Scotland ever get the same arrangement as the north considering the geographical circumstances and the  predicament Westminster finds itself in now. If Nicola Sturgeon thinks she can hold May to ransom by causing dissent and the EU will change it's mind on an all of UK CU deal she's deluded.
But yeah you go with how far away cows are.

Help me get this straight.
You want the SNP to vote for a withdrawal deal that will enhance NI economic prospects but in all probability strip jobs and investment from Scotland? You're saying Nicola Sturgeon should make her MPs vote for that? Is that correct?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 21, 2018, 04:55:46 PM
If parliament reject it then it's straight into hard Brexit or am I missing something.

Your missing everything if you think rejection of this deal == hard Brexit!

Rejection of this deal means Theresa can either (i)try to renegotiate the deal, (ii)resign, (iii)put the deal to referendum rather than parliament (iv)exit without a deal (v)don't exit.

British public opinion is get on with it, not let's have another referendum.

That is what Theresa wants you to think.

I don't know what exact public opinion is - no one does. Difference is, I don't claim to know what public opinion is.

*My* opinion is that any deal should be put back to the people in a referendum* - and a sizeable proportion of people would appear to agree with that. How big? No idea.

*would you commit to buying something 3 years in advance of seeing what it looked like,  how much it cost and how well it worked without wanting a second opinion when you did see what you were getting? The arrogance of politicians insisting that extrapolating that referendum result to mean the public will accept any deal, no matter how poor as long as it meant Brexit, is them following the will of the people really boils my piss.
i usse an speelchekor

weareros

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 21, 2018, 06:31:12 PM

Your missing everything if you think rejection of this deal == hard Brexit!

Rejection of this deal means Theresa can either (i)try to renegotiate the deal, (ii)resign, (iii)put the deal to referendum rather than parliament (iv)exit without a deal (v)don't exit.

All those choices are not in UK hands. Because they have invoked Art 50, all 27 EU states would need to agree to any kind of extension, otherwise they crash out without a deal at end of March if they don't get something sorted.