yanks visiting Ireland- ideas please

Started by heganboy, February 26, 2015, 02:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

Dearest GAAboarders, I need help!

I have a crew of 8 25-35 year olds from the US trying to put together a good itinerary for an Ireland trip for a 1 week visit. They would be flying from New York into Dublin and probably September/October. They'd be fond of a pint and up for a bit of craic. Some of the usual touristy stuff, but also anything a bit less obvious would be great.

Any advice and suggestions welcome.

Thanks
HB
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

AZOffaly

Do they golf? Not being smug, but there's probably a thousand things they could do :) You could spend a few days in Dublin alone if you wanted. Get them wesht though, away from the big smoke.

andoireabu

Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Canalman

Quote from: andoireabu on February 26, 2015, 02:50:35 PM
Glasnevin cemetery.

Totally agree. It and Kilmainham Jail imo are  the 2 "must sees" in the city.

andoireabu

Quote from: Canalman on February 26, 2015, 02:53:52 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on February 26, 2015, 02:50:35 PM
Glasnevin cemetery.

Totally agree. It and Kilmainham Jail imo are  the 2 "must sees" in the city.
Aye its a strange place with some fantastic stories. Kilmainham is next on the to do list for me.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

seafoid

A hurling match in Tipp and a decent trad session somewhere like Clare or Donegal.A bingo session in the midlands. A feed of pints in Shannonbridge. A day fishing on the Moy.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2015, 03:41:23 PM
A hurling match in Tipp and a decent trad session somewhere like Clare or Donegal.A bingo session in the midlands. A feed of pints in Shannonbridge. A day fishing on the Moy.

Now you're talking. Tie up the boat, and dander up to Killeens for pints of stout, sitting on the fridge for the ice creams :)

Rois

Surf lesson in Bundoran/Strandhill (or Lahinch if that's too far north).  Water is still nice and warm in September. 

The Iceman

http://www.horse-holiday-farm.com/horseriding-holidays.htm
This is a great spot for a day and a half if you're into it. B&B, nice wee pub within walking distance. Up next morning, big breakfast, tack up the horses and away for the morning. Stop for lunch at a wee pub by the ocean then let all settle before a race through sand dunes and a flat out 1 mile sprint along the waterline on the beach to the stables....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

heganboy

These are great folks, keep em coming. AZ - not a golfing crew. Any thoughts on whether Newgrange is worth the trip?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

AZOffaly

Kerry surely for a couple of days. Dingle or the Ring of Kerry. September definitely. October might be a bit iffy, given the weather. Also if they like their food, there's a lot of sort of 'guest house/fine restaurant things' like Ballymaloe House in Cork etc. What are their interests.

David McKeown

I had a group of my college friends over 5 or 6 years ago and I have to say I was shocked how badly treated they were in restaurants and pubs particularly around Donegal and Portrush as a result I avoid both now when I have Americans over.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

AZOffaly

Jaysus, I find Americans, and visitors in general, are loved by and large. Maybe Spanish Students apart! :) There's a wedding in Limerick this summer and friends of ours from the States and Canada will be home for it. It's the 4th wedding over the last 15 years or so for some of them, and they always can't wait to come back.

gallsman

If September, All Ireland tickets?

Galway for a night on the tear.

Dublin mountain walking.

ballinaman

Quote from: gallsman on February 26, 2015, 05:00:26 PM
If September, All Ireland tickets?

Galway for a night on the tear.

Dublin mountain walking.
With only being here for a week...Dublin/Galway is a good bet, 2 half hours on the train/bus....night over on the Aran Islands when they are down in Galway would be an eye opener for them!