Geraghty & Fay - New Twist, Harnan and Callaghan Step Down as selectors

Started by The Claw, May 20, 2011, 01:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Claw

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=148253&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Quote20 May 2011

Chris O'Connor and Mickey Burke have been recalled to the Meath football panel by manager Seamus McEnaney.

The defensive duo were released from the Royals' championship squad along with forward Peadar Byrne at the beginning of the month, but have been invited back and are expected to feature in tonight's challenge match against Westmeath in Rosemount (throw-in 7.30pm).

There are also unconfirmed reports that retired duo Graham Geraghty - who manages Rosemount's neighbouring club Castledaly - and Darren Fay could feature in the game against Pat Flanagan's men. Both men retired from inter-county football a couple of seasons ago and it would be a sensational development if they were to play tonight.

There was surprise when O'Connor and Burke were let go, given that both had been regulars in the Meath defence under former Eamonn O'Brien. Longwood clubman Burke was first-choice centre back at the start of last year's championship, only for his season to be cut short when he suffered a broken leg against Laois in the Leinster SFC quarter-final replay in Tullamore.

Aparently Geraghty and Fay coming back in not a rumour. Anyone hear anything on it?

thejuice

I can't find anyone who can confirm it. It would be very surprising if it was true. Maybe they'll just run out in this challenge match but that'd be a right snub to the fringe players.

Until I hear other wise I'm assuming its rubbish.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

Pity McGill hasn't been recalled a very good player when he's on form.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

The Claw

Totally agree Juice. McGill is very good. I wasn't at the Derry game but aparently he had a tough time against Paddy Bradley. That's a quite a tough situation to put a lad into in his first intercounty game in over 2(?) years. I would have him as a starting corner back

Sea The Stars

The Meath Chronicle reports that Graham has returned to the fold, in a playing capacity, that is.

Croí na hÉireann

@TV3SportIRELAND "Banty McEneaney confirms to TV3 that Graham Geraghty has returned to Meath panel at age of 38. Darren Fay has not rejoined panel."
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

orangeman

This sounds like desperation stuff. Geraghy was some footballer - but surely can't be up to the required fitness levels ?

thejuice

I am so lucky to bear witness to the second coming.

or is this the 3rd time?

ross matt

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 20, 2011, 02:57:05 PM
@TV3SportIRELAND "Banty McEneaney confirms to TV3 that Graham Geraghty has returned to Meath panel at age of 38. Darren Fay has not rejoined panel."

Is Geraghty 38 now?
What age is Fay?
Are they still playing decent club football and standing out at that level?

magpie seanie

Geraghty is a thoroughbred in terms of athleticism so I wouldn't bet against him even at 38, having a sizeable impact. Not so sure about Fay, brilliant and all as he is/was but it couldn't hurt having him around. He's only 34 I reckon.

thejuice

Geraghty was managing a club in Westmeath last I heard and Fay was playing Junior football and was hardly fit enough for that apparently.

ross matt

Risky stuff from Banty. Might have wanted to play them quitely in a challenge but the media have it now.

magpie seanie

Quote from: ross matt on May 20, 2011, 04:06:50 PM
Risky stuff from Banty. Might have wanted to play them quitely in a challenge but the media have it now.

Not really Banty's style is it?

orangeman

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 20, 2011, 04:07:32 PM
Quote from: ross matt on May 20, 2011, 04:06:50 PM

Not really Banty's style is it?

Ask the Monaghan reserve goalkeeper from last year.  ;)

Denn Forever

Sounds like a pub on Merrion Row.

Rember that Ryan Giggs is 37 but he wouldn't be subjected to the physical hits that Geraghty would give or get.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...