Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

off the laces

fair play 6th sam
I for one hold no confidence in the current east down board. All they are doing is sending our talented players to the soccer scene where they can get to play football most weeks.The u21s is a good idea although not at this time of year it gives fellas who would normally walk away from the sport the opportunity to compete against players they grew up playing against at underage level.
Keeps 'er' straight

goldenyears

one for the hurlers...

GAA

Down senior hurling training panel: Down's new senior hurling management team of Gerard Coulter, Hugh Gilmore and Paul McMullan have selected an initial training panel for all competitions in 2007.

The following players are asked to attend a meeting with the new management team in Portaferry GAC clubrooms on Wednesday November 22, 8.30pm sharp.

Ballygalget: Graham Clarke, L Clarke, S Roddy, Gabriel Clarke, S Clarke, E Clarke, D Flynn, G Johnson, M Coulter, A Dynes; Portaferry: P Braniff, K Keating, S Murray, K Coulter, A Savage, J Convery, E Trainor, G Adair, R McGrattan, R Conlon; Ballycran: G Savage, S Wilson, P Hughes, A Bell, B McGourty, M Ennis, G Hughes, G Gordon, S Ennis; Newry Shamrocks: K Courtney, A McGuinness, E McGuinness; Liatroim: A Brown, M McCartan, D McCartan; Ballela: M Magee; Kilclief: K Sloan, F Conway; Clonduff: J Murphy, P McCusker; Ballyvarley: D McGovern

All players to take this as official notification. Anyone unable to attend please contact the team management on any of the following numbers: Gerard Coulter – 4272 8604, Hugh Gilmore – 4272 841, Paul McMullan – 4272 8980

Transport will be available for the

non-Ards players from the 8pm ferry.

goldenyears

i hear that brendy loughran from shamrocks showed well at the trials scoring 2-1. also hear that some of last year's panel, even starting 15 ie monk cole were asked to trial. I really dont understand asking any of last year's panel to trial....

downredblack

GY - Maybe the inclusion of Monk and a few of the others was to see how the new lads did against proven inter county standard players .

Fear Boirche

Also, some of last year's panel need to convince new management that they are really county material, the aforementioned Cole being one of them. Plus, Ross and DJ need to see where people's best positions are. Any chance that Doyle was at CB?

downredblack

Disagree about Cole , I thought he had a good year and was one of the few backs that looked comfortable in his position .

Fear Boirche

Fair enough, but he has had a couple of shaky years. But putting current panellists in with potentials should give them a bit of gee up. It's should be a case of if you're not playing well enough, there's someone waiting to come in and take your place. We haven't really had that, in fairness, recently even for people like BC. Nobody should feel they are guaranteed their place on the team.

cheesystrippers

i hear monk had a terrible trial, think a lot of last years panel need looked at again! any word on when the final panel is going to be drawn up?

goldenyears

i can understand maybe the point that mgt team want to see triallists against co standard players....but wouldnt the best thing be to take last years panel, and play a team against the pick of the triallists?

re: current trials, i have a problem already in that a number of last year's panellists dont know where they stand. thats bad form, and i expected communication to be much much better than this....

Fear Boirche

"current trials, i have a problem already in that a number of last year's panellists dont know where they stand. thats bad form, and i expected communication to be much much better than this...."

Fair point, Goldenyears, but the time it took to actually appoint a new manager has delayed everything. Ross and DJ needed to wait until their appointment and then call and organise trials. It's fair enough saying last year's guys should know where they stand, but managment need to make up their minds first. As i said before, no-one should feel they are automatically in the panel cos they were on it last year.

amallon

I'm what way do they not know where they stand Goldenyears?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

goldenyears

amallon, do they all know whether they are on next year's panel or not, or whether they need to trial? thats my point. I would have thought the first thing done, would be to speak to each player individually about last year, the plans for the way ahead, and whether that guy was in them or not....even to say we are not sure at this stage...

i dont think that has happened...

amallon

Clonduff are looking for a new manager as well, Jim McCorry has parted company with them.

There are a few names being banded about for the Bridge game, the ones I've heard of are Muckey Culbert, Paddy Tally, Damian Cassidy and Seamus Doyle.  I think Doyle was with Bellaghy and Enniskillen Gaels.  
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

cheesystrippers

I hear the ballyholland management has also stepped down.... Any word of who will be taking them next year? Think they will find it tough to get a manager outside of their club

thewobbler

Paud, you really should make your email address hidden if you want to remain anonymous  ;)