Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieTully

Quote from: SHEEDY on September 08, 2015, 02:41:41 PM
why is there now a fixation with playing championship matches on saturday, sunday and monday nights. what ever happened to sunday afternoon throw in times. i know that with competition from all ireland games on tv, this wouldnt always be possible but surely fixing cpn v castlewellan for 2pm and kilcoo v burren for 3.30pm this sunday afternoon would draw a bigger crowd than saturday night or am i wrong in thinking that? when the county finals have been played on a saturday night they just havnt felt the same.

they realised I was off Saturday evening and working Sunday, I thank them for accommodating me and am looking forward to hopefully two cracking games.  ;D

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: redandblackareback on September 08, 2015, 02:37:28 PM
I don't particularly like Poacher and don't like the style of football he promotes either, cant comment about him on Saturday as I was too far away but I did see him in the stand for the first half, cant understand why more managers don't adapt that approach, have to say as much as I do resent him, Poacher is certainly not on his own, some of the behaviour of other management teams this season in Newry have been deplorable and disrespectful towards our county board officials, it needs to be stamped out.

He didn't adopt this approach. He wasn't in the stand out of choice. He was serving out a ban he received from county board.
Then again that goes with the territory of being 'one of the top coaches in the county'.
Confidence. Not to be confused with arrogance. Oh No.

Line Ball

PATH TO THE FINALS TICKET
Down GAA are delighted to be able to offer patrons the opportunity to purchase a Path To The Finals Ticket which will allow patrons access to all Quarter Finals, Semi Finals and Finals in Football and Hurling up to October 12th.

Tickets cost £50.00 and are available to purchase from Down GAA Offices in Castlewellan or from the Down GAA Ticket Van at venues over this weekend.

I was looking forward to saving a few pound by buying this ticket but not now at £50.  I think it was £30 at the same stage last year but they are really putting the arm into the ordinary supporter at this price.

PAULD123

Quote from: Down Follower on September 08, 2015, 02:08:13 PM
...Also, I think those people that say they wish Burren v Kilcoo were the final are wrong.  This draw gives every other team a glimmer of hope and has raised the appetite of all the clubs...

I agree, that they play each other at all in a knock out competition is good enough and gives us the entertainment we would want. The beauty of a straight draw knock-out is exactly that other teams could gain a foothold in the championship. Whichever of these two teams reaches the final they will play another team who have not won it for a while and anything can happen. If a system is too heavily geared towards keeping the big teams apart all you get is a predicable semi-final lineup. Okay eventually a couple of exciting games but not an exciting championship.

whitegoodman

I agree that the current system is a lot better than the group stage scenario.  However I am not sure if it is right for one team to beat another team and then the beaten team gets two further warm up matches before getting another chance to beat the winning team.....

elk

Sounds like a worried burren supporter

super reds 99

Stopped of to watch rostrevor and clonduff game tonight in minor championship good game no defensive football all out attack good to see rostrevor deserved winners in the end

supersub

Stopped off? Where were you heading? Good win for the Reds alright!

Going back to a few posts ago, there is a match on Sunday in the Championship? Won't play them all the same day!

PAULD123

Quote from: whitegoodman on September 08, 2015, 06:31:21 PM
I agree that the current system is a lot better than the group stage scenario.  However I am not sure if it is right for one team to beat another team and then the beaten team gets two further warm up matches before getting another chance to beat the winning team.....

I would agree with this. If you beat a team then it is not just for them to be allowed a second chance toto beat you ay any stage before a final. For Burren this its not a fair knock-out competition this year.  But from a Warrenpoint view, I'm glad we got to avoid Kilcoo, even though we have a very tough task taking on Castlewellan.

wobbller

Quote from: super reds 99 on September 08, 2015, 09:42:35 PM
Stopped of to watch rostrevor and clonduff game tonight in minor championship good game no defensive football all out attack good to see rostrevor deserved winners in the end
Shamrocks didn't appear to be firing on all cylinders last night against us and we could
be in for a rematch from last year's county minor  final between them and Burren although
Rostrevor looked good in our league match.

thewobbler

PaulD, re teams meeting again so soon, personally I don't think any attempts should be made to manually control a draw. It should be random.

Take this scenario: Kilcoo and Burren meet in round 1, and a pre-ordained rule means they could not meet again unless they both make the final. Being the best two teams in the county, they've drawn a win-win situation, and there's really no point in bating the shite out of each at this stage. So they put B teams out in round 1 and don't care which side they manoeuvre along from there; for on either side of the draw they should both make the final.

- - -

Super Reds, I'm glad you enjoyed the game, but any minor team that is insistent on playing 15 v 15 attacking football is playing for second place this year, as Burren are streets ahead. If all a club wants is to make an MFC final, then fair play. But if the intention is to win the thing, then playing to a system isn't just something that can be turned on. Your management team might regret not practicing it earlier!

- - -

Re the £50 ticket, I'd suggest that wrapping hurling and football into one package, and using it as an excuse to justify the large pricepoint, is a blunder from the county board. As competitions they've a lot less in common than the GAA traditionalists would like us believe, especially so among spectators.

At a push I'd maybe take in two SFC quarter finals, the two semis, and the final. That's not going to more than £55 individually (I hope).

So the ticket isn't being aimed at me. Who is it being aimed at?

- - -

Re the conversation about playing JFC matches in Newry, I really don't understand why anyone would want to play those games in Esler. It's not Croke Park, not even close; it's not a field of dreams. If any man wants to play that badly in Newry, join a D3 team next years and face up to the Rocks. The stand is great, no doubt, but the rest of the facilities are no better /worse than a dozen grounds around the county. I've played reserve and ACFLII football in Esler and can tell you that is vacuous, eerie and soulless unless there's a crowd.

- - -

Re the Poacher chat. I play 5-a-side with him most weeks, and will happily boot him to the ground at anyone's request - so long as that someone will put their name against their handle. Nobody loves an opinion more than Poacher, but at least it's his name going against it.

TheClutch

Quote from: thewobbler on September 09, 2015, 02:27:08 PM
PaulD, re teams meeting again so soon, personally I don't think any attempts should be made to manually control a draw. It should be random.

Take this scenario: Kilcoo and Burren meet in round 1, and a pre-ordained rule means they could not meet again unless they both make the final. Being the best two teams in the county, they've drawn a win-win situation, and there's really no point in bating the shite out of each at this stage. So they put B teams out in round 1 and don't care which side they manoeuvre along from there; for on either side of the draw they should both make the final.

- - -

Super Reds, I'm glad you enjoyed the game, but any minor team that is insistent on playing 15 v 15 attacking football is playing for second place this year, as Burren are streets ahead. If all a club wants is to make an MFC final, then fair play. But if the intention is to win the thing, then playing to a system isn't just something that can be turned on. Your management team might regret not practicing it earlier!

- - -

Re the £50 ticket, I'd suggest that wrapping hurling and football into one package, and using it as an excuse to justify the large pricepoint, is a blunder from the county board. As competitions they've a lot less in common than the GAA traditionalists would like us believe, especially so among spectators.

At a push I'd maybe take in two SFC quarter finals, the two semis, and the final. That's not going to more than £55 individually (I hope).

So the ticket isn't being aimed at me. Who is it being aimed at?

- - -

Re the conversation about playing JFC matches in Newry, I really don't understand why anyone would want to play those games in Esler. It's not Croke Park, not even close; it's not a field of dreams. If any man wants to play that badly in Newry, join a D3 team next years and face up to the Rocks. The stand is great, no doubt, but the rest of the facilities are no better /worse than a dozen grounds around the county. I've played reserve and ACFLII football in Esler and can tell you that is vacuous, eerie and soulless unless there's a crowd.

- - -

Re the Poacher chat. I play 5-a-side with him most weeks, and will happily boot him to the ground at anyone's request - so long as that someone will put their name against their handle. Nobody loves an opinion more than Poacher, but at least it's his name going against it.

Surely it is the desire of any team/player to play at their county ground with a bit of a crowd at championship level during the latter stages, as opposed to having a desperation to play there. My opinion is that the JFC is regarded as less important than the other championships by the county board, particularly this year with the group games not being at neutral venues.

I agree with your opinion on the £50 ticket, over priced and doesn't really appeal to a high demographic of supporters. Greed.
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

downup

Wobbler I don't think anyone is really asking you to boot him to the ground. The chat was regarding his own ambitions as a county manager which he gave in an interview. I also don't believe that anyone can argue about his ability as a coach. It was simply being pointed out that, in peoples opinions, his antics along the line would certainly not be to the standard of that required of county management at any level and there is no point in him blaming the county board for his non selection of county management posts.
Generally I think you talk a lot of sense in your posts and for me this is not a keyboard warrior assault. Let me ask you this, knowing him as you obviously do, would you like to see him warts and all as our county manager?

Down Follower

Nice and brief there wobbler.
Agreed on open draw - this, A cant play B and C cant play D crap make a mockery out of the draws in the AI qualifiers at times.  Once you bring in a back door there is going to be a chance of the two teams meeting again and thats just that.

The 4 minor teams (assuming Warrenpoint get through) who are through to the semis are def the 4 strongest teams.  Clonduff did have a shout to be amongst that but Rostrevor put paid to that.  The semi finals should be cracking games with Burren favourites based on results to date.
Are many of these minors playing for the senior teams at the moment? 

SamFever

Quote from: Down Follower on September 09, 2015, 03:48:15 PM
Nice and brief there wobbler.
Agreed on open draw - this, A cant play B and C cant play D crap make a mockery out of the draws in the AI qualifiers at times.  Once you bring in a back door there is going to be a chance of the two teams meeting again and thats just that.

The 4 minor teams (assuming Warrenpoint get through) who are through to the semis are def the 4 strongest teams.  Clonduff did have a shout to be amongst that but Rostrevor put paid to that.  The semi finals should be cracking games with Burren favourites based on results to date.
Are many of these minors playing for the senior teams at the moment?
Are CPN not already through to the semi finals?