Social media intrusion/humiliation

Started by BennyCake, November 29, 2014, 12:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

I've seen many photographs and videos posted on Facebook (other peoples. I'm not on it), mainly everyday things from man falls asleep drunk on the couch, young lad sitting watching TV. I've even seen videos of people dancing at a wedding and a man sitting at a quiet bar singing a song (no, not John Delaney).

Most of the time the people in the photo/video are unaware it's being recorded never mind posted all over the net. Look at the woman parking in Belfast, bloody humiliated, but looked upon as a great laugh. Or the woman in Derry, lying in the street. Any normal person would go and assist her, but no, let's video her from across the road.

What the f**k is wrong with people? Why do they feel the need to record things like this, humiliating people for the world to see?! It's only going to get worse with these Google glasses. By all accounts, people at this kind of thing are getting younger all the time and it's only going to increase. Immature child with a smart phone out to impress his/her mates.

ONeill

The fact you watched all those things suggests you're the prime market for the trend.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyCake

Quote from: ONeill on November 29, 2014, 12:24:54 PM
The fact you watched all those things suggests you're the prime market for the trend.

I'm not on social media. But in others company I've seen such things shown.

ONeill

There can be an upside. Fcukers can be exposed. Bad behaviour. Some people will think twice now.

In the past it was word of mouth/gossip....did ye hear about Red Pat pishin behind the chapel.....now it's visual.

BennyCake

Quote from: ONeill on November 29, 2014, 12:34:41 PM
There can be an upside. Fcukers can be exposed. Bad behaviour. Some people will think twice now.

In the past it was word of mouth/gossip....did ye hear about Red Pat pishin behind the chapel.....now it's visual.

Well, the person who takes and posts a video of that is worse than the dude taking the piss whether it's behind the chapel or not.

ONeill

It's only going to get worse. A lot of chapels have CCTV now.

Hardy

Quote from: BennyCake on November 29, 2014, 12:17:09 PMIt's only going to get worse with these Google glasses.

Somebody working on a Google glasses project told me yesterday he's been told to suspend the project - Google may be planning to abandon the glasses idea. I don't know how reliable the info is and no reason is given other than vague suggestions that the privacy issues are just too much. Though I can't see how they would be Google's worry, any more than gun manufacturers worry about being sued when somebody shoots someone else. Maybe they actually believe in their motto? Nah.

I can't remember who it was but about twenty years ago, somebody said to me "God is a camera". His point was that, with the decline of religion and the loss of the fear of God, ubiquitous photographic surveillance was going to take over the role of monitoring our every move and action and probably with more telling effects, both negative and positive, than God could manage. And that wasn't even anticipating the fact that practically every human being would be walking around armed with a camera.

armaghniac

Quote from: ONeill on November 29, 2014, 12:43:30 PM
It's only going to get worse. A lot of chapels have CCTV now.

We might even see a shock horror video of mylestheslasher in there trying to save his soul.

For every incompetent female parkers laughed at, there will be an incompetent parker who bashes a neighbouring car and who cannot escape paying for it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ziggysego

My cousin was one of the onlookers of the Belfast badly parking incident. They didn't start recording until after 20 mins. They offered her help on several occasions, but just got a tirade of abuse from her.
Testing Accessibility

muppet

Quote from: ziggysego on November 29, 2014, 04:47:02 PM
My cousin was one of the onlookers of the Belfast badly parking incident. They didn't start recording until after 20 mins. They offered her help on several occasions, but just got a tirade of abuse from her.

Is she still there?
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

The Rodney King beating was probably the first example of this but ubiquitous cameras are great for police accountability. There was a thing on the other day about a black shopkeeper who had CCTV footage of a cop planting cocaine in his store. If it wasn't for the CCTV he'd have faced about 7 years in jail.  I could go on with other examples but they're not hard to find. Some police forces are now even considering requiring their officers to wear cameras at all times when on duty, so it doesn't get into a "he-said-she-said" match when something happens.

As with all new widespread technologies there's going to be a downside and an upside, and we'll figure out ways to keep it under control. Cars were a nuisance at first but we learned to put up with them because we want to be able to work at that place 30 miles away and bring the groceries home from the supermarket.

muppet

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 29, 2014, 09:09:54 PM
The Rodney King beating was probably the first example of this but ubiquitous cameras are great for police accountability. There was a thing on the other day about a black shopkeeper who had CCTV footage of a cop planting cocaine in his store. If it wasn't for the CCTV he'd have faced about 7 years in jail.  I could go on with other examples but they're not hard to find. Some police forces are now even considering requiring their officers to wear cameras at all times when on duty, so it doesn't get into a "he-said-she-said" match when something happens.

As with all new widespread technologies there's going to be a downside and an upside, and we'll figure out ways to keep it under control. Cars were a nuisance at first but we learned to put up with them because we want to be able to work at that place 30 miles away and bring the groceries home from the supermarket.

Sure was. The Grand Jury in that case found police hadn't used excess force while kicking the shit out of him.
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

And there was uproar. The uproar wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the whole thing being caught on camera.

J70

Quote from: muppet on November 29, 2014, 09:15:46 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 29, 2014, 09:09:54 PM

Sure was. The Grand Jury in that case found police hadn't used excess force while kicking the shit out of him.

Were the Rodney King cops not acquitted after trial?