Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Look-Up!

From our perspective hard to know where we stand for Sunday. McKiernan, Lynch and James Smith not available apparently. Even if they do a Lazarus they'd be very ring rusty. That's a lot of drive and scoring threat gone from our team. Plus side though we have some young lads showed well in McKenna Cup and you'd hope they'll step up. McVeety and Ciaran Brady back and looking fit a huge plus. Natural leadership we sorely missed when they were missing. Expect a tough physical battle with WH. Defensively we'll have to be on top of our game because I don't see us running up a big sore. Be very happy with narrow win (need to keep them below 13 points), but I have a feeling it will be a draw.

Dreadnought

Really good win yesterday. Sure we had our wobble mid way through the 2nd half, but had a lead built up, and were able to see things off and push again to wrap this up. Very well done in wintery conditions on a tight field. By god was it good to see a fully fit Holla Brady and a returning McVeety ruling things from half back. These 2 lads were badly missed last few years and look like different gravy at this level. 6 debuts yesterday, and inexperience was seen at times, but did quite well otherwise. Westmeath had a stronger panel, but we strangled them out of it for most of the game. Finnegan and Carolan were very good at corner back. Ryan O'Neill is a very sticky forward, wins most ball that goes to him and took his few scores well. Very happy with this in those conditions, and now we go to Tipp and a run of home games. Should be winning this and pushing on through this division.

Westside

I felt like Ryan O'Neill was feeling a bit of pressure to get on the scoreboard. With more confidence I'd have fancied him to get a goal from that first opportunity. He took the second mark brilliantly and handled the pressure to hammer it over from 45 metres. If he keeps winning ball like that he'll make it very hard for Mickey to drop him.

Oisin Brady didn't have the impact that he did in the McKenna Cup, found it harder to make space to get a shot off. Perhaps he was flagged for special attention, hopefully as players come back he will find more room in there.

Overall I'd describe our forward unit as functional at best yesterday. Still a lot of hesitancy, I would imagine conversion rate is being hammered into them but that shouldn't come at the cost of taking a shot when it's on. Lynch getting time is great, he'll need to keep the head down as he is a marked man now and could easy suffer from some 'second season' syndrome.

Tipperary slaughtered us at midfield last year in the League in Breffni and with Smith, Gearoid, Conor Brady all injured and Galligan gone, we are probably looking at a 5th choice centerfielder partnering Clarke. I'd like to see David Brady getting a run there, I think he has a higher ceiling than any of the other newbies.

On another note, that was some attendance for first round of the league? Also not sure if the Cavan crowd was larger or just more vocal but I thought the support was excellent and the players fed off it.

Cavan19

Quote from: Westside on January 30, 2023, 10:57:24 AM
I felt like Ryan O'Neill was feeling a bit of pressure to get on the scoreboard. With more confidence I'd have fancied him to get a goal from that first opportunity. He took the second mark brilliantly and handled the pressure to hammer it over from 45 metres. If he keeps winning ball like that he'll make it very hard for Mickey to drop him.

Oisin Brady didn't have the impact that he did in the McKenna Cup, found it harder to make space to get a shot off. Perhaps he was flagged for special attention, hopefully as players come back he will find more room in there.

Overall I'd describe our forward unit as functional at best yesterday. Still a lot of hesitancy, I would imagine conversion rate is being hammered into them but that shouldn't come at the cost of taking a shot when it's on. Lynch getting time is great, he'll need to keep the head down as he is a marked man now and could easy suffer from some 'second season' syndrome.

Tipperary slaughtered us at midfield last year in the League in Breffni and with Smith, Gearoid, Conor Brady all injured and Galligan gone, we are probably looking at a 5th choice centerfielder partnering Clarke. I'd like to see David Brady getting a run there, I think he has a higher ceiling than any of the other newbies.

On another note, that was some attendance for first round of the league? Also not sure if the Cavan crowd was larger or just more vocal but I thought the support was excellent and the players fed off it.

What was the attendance there was a big Cavan crowd there alright was at least 50/50 if not a bit more in our favour.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on January 30, 2023, 10:57:24 AM

i saw a Westmeath lad online bemoan the crowd, and said it was a sad state of affairs that Cavan outnumbered the home fans in their own stand. We did seem to bring a big crowd alright. Hope that win brings the people out for Breffni Sunday if they think we'll get on a run. Gerry Smith was just a tight muscle apparently, so should be ok for Sunday hopefully.

I thought Maguire did decently when he came on for Brady. So no harm in keeping with him. I think Tipp are there for the taking as they're missing a load of players from last year. Sweeney is reported to have a knee injury as well. We should be able to make a few changes and keep going with this.

Was a tight day for Oisin Brady alright. really good with the frees, but a tough day from play. had chances, but they didn't come off for him. He'll learn and be better the next day. The forwards can only get better, especially with getting more fitness into Lynch. He's been hard at the gym by the looks of it, as he's put on a lot of muscle. Hopefully it doesn't affect his speed and movement though, and yesterday was down to fitness only.

Westside

Yeah when I came into the stand I felt like it was dominated with Blue. We were certainly more vocal but that could just be the way the game went. With it being a Bank Holiday next weekend I'd expect a big crowd in Breffni. Interesting to hear Ciaran Brady reference this in his WAC interview. Said he hoped we could get a big crowd to Breffni and they want to play football that will get the crowd on side.

I certainly felt Cavan found a better balance yesterday between game management and keeping momentum. Mickey is no fool and I think he realises the frustration from the stands when we are passing laterally has a negative impact on the team.

I thought Maguire looked like he struggled with the tempo of the game but it's his first appearance in the League and in fairness he got himself out of bother a few times and clearly has a good football brain.

Brady's freetaking is going under the radar a bit. I don't think he's missed one yet this year? I know Ray takes the big ones but nailing all scoreable frees is something we have failed to do in the past. He's also taking them from both sides with both feet. Not many lads in the country can do that.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on January 30, 2023, 12:34:37 PM
Yeah when I came into the stand I felt like it was dominated with Blue. We were certainly more vocal but that could just be the way the game went. With it being a Bank Holiday next weekend I'd expect a big crowd in Breffni. Interesting to hear Ciaran Brady reference this in his WAC interview. Said he hoped we could get a big crowd to Breffni and they want to play football that will get the crowd on side.

I certainly felt Cavan found a better balance yesterday between game management and keeping momentum. Mickey is no fool and I think he realises the frustration from the stands when we are passing laterally has a negative impact on the team.

I thought Maguire looked like he struggled with the tempo of the game but it's his first appearance in the League and in fairness he got himself out of bother a few times and clearly has a good football brain.

Brady's freetaking is going under the radar a bit. I don't think he's missed one yet this year? I know Ray takes the big ones but nailing all scoreable frees is something we have failed to do in the past. He's also taking them from both sides with both feet. Not many lads in the country can do that.

Indeed. I noted that in the McKenna cup games, he hasn't missed a free and off both feet too. Only thing is, McKiernan and Lynch will likely take these back when they return. But it is an unreal return rate from him. knowing we have that option there after we went a long time with no reliable free taker. If he just takes a few from play here and there he'll be a first name on the sheet. that'll come with work and moving onto better pitches and weather conditions into the Spring.

Word is that likes of McKiernan, James Smith, and Conor Smith with be integrated back in this week. Tipp might be too soon, but Longford 2 weeks after could be time to see them.

Cavan19

I though we defended well from the front yesterday while we did let them take short kick-outs we put pressure on them straight away and didn't let them stroll up the field.

Look-Up!

Tipperary at home second game is as good a time as any to play them- they generally take a few games to get going.

McVeety and Holla are going to be huge for us this year. They were massive losses for us. That gain is offset a bit in other absentees but I think for the new additions these 2 are a great example of consistency and leadership. With Lynch and McKiernan to come back and O'Neill and Brady to improve (hopefully), we could have decent forward options at some stage, but I can see this campaign being managed a bit like the last time we went up from D3. Defensively focused, very intense physically, low scoring and generally very very hard to beat. If results go well then a more open and attack minded approach last couple of games with better ground conditions.

That would be enough for me anyway, D2 football is a priority. Plus finding a consistent defensive midfielder.

Look-Up!

Brilliant to get the result today but the performance was even more pleasing. Hard to gauge Tipp properly, and it is early days, but some very very impressive performances. McVeety was outstanding yet again. Brings that insatiable work-rate and attitude to the team that has been so sorely missing last few years. Could be coincidence but seems to be infecting some of the newcomers too.

Regardless of who you are as a team, a good start in this division is essential. So as the league settles out a bit, other teams might hit stride and we might labour but the head start we have now is so important. Couldn't ask for more at this stage. Plus we have 5 or 6 "starters" to come back into panel so competition for places should be interesting. Those jerseys might not be so easy won back and you'd hope we are on an upward trajectory.

Westside

Different buzz about this Cavan team this year. They have definitely moved away from the 'game management' attitude.

Longford coming to Breffni in 2 weeks fighting for their lives. Great time to have a few players coming back.

We look good but I wouldn't take anything for granted yet.

Look-Up!

Yes for sure, home game to Longford at this stage looks the easiest of the fixtures on paper. Win and it gives us a great platform to push for promotion. A loss, however possible, would be disastrous and put a very different spin on things. 

Westside

Mickey has a headache in the full forward line. O'Neill and Brady can't be dropped the way they're playing but you have to make room for Lynch if he's fit.

I think at the moment Oisin Kiernan and Cian Madden are lucky to be holding onto their places.

I'd still like to see more adventure and impetus in the forward line. There's a general hesitancy in there that's preventing us from really cutting loose. Early days though.

Look-Up!

If McKiernan reaches full fitness you'd imagine it will be impossible to leave him out. Option anywhere in forward half.

Westside

Around this time last year we were bemoaning the reliance on Gearoid for scores. As the year went on, McLoughlin and Gerry Smith came to the fore and Lynch caught fire. So it's great to be able to get through a couple of Division 3 games without pretty much all of those.

It was great to see Cavan hunting Tipp down early in the game, we put a press on their kickout after they got the goal and never looked back really. Cavan are always at their best when they are pressurising the opposition and speeding up the game. When we slow down and look over our shoulder, that's when the trouble starts.