Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Half forward line were shocking against Monaghan. Don't know if you can keep taking the donkey to the well there... I'd expect big changes in that line beyond moving the chips around...

CK_Redhand

I think we need to go ultra defensive or Galway attack will destroy us. We've taken some beatings there recently.

Under Lights

Heard there have been a number of departures from the panel over the last two weeks but no announcements made

Redhand Santa

Quote from: LeoMc on May 16, 2023, 01:40:42 PM
Quote from: NotedObserver on May 16, 2023, 01:17:07 PM
Whats the thoughts this weekend? Start as Monaghan below to try and match up with the attacking wing backs of Galway or will we see a McGlennon, Oguz or R Canavan? Picking up Tierney among several others is going to be tough. Assume Meyler go on Walsh and McNamee on Cormer?. Galway have an impressive spread of players and are going to be hard to control. 

Niall Morgan; Ronan McNamee, Pádraig Hampsey; Cormac Quinn; Kieran McGeary, Michael McKernan, Conor Meyler; Brian Kennedy, Conn Kilpatrick; Peter Harte, Michael O'Neill, Frank Burns; Darren McCurry, Mattie Donnelly, Darragh Canavan.
Move Harte from CHB back out to the wing where he is of benefit. Burns or Munroe to CHB.

If you were picking a team on form over last 12 months Harte could very easily find himself on the bench. He hasn't been doing enough. That could allow Burns to slot into 6.

Half forward line is a difficult one. McGeary and O'Neill like Harte should not be starting on anything we've seen over the last 12 months. Canavan could  play deeper as a play maker allowing McGleenan to go inside and try something different. Wonder what sort of shape McShane is in - probably still only an impact sub for now. Mattie and Oguz could be used as workers out round the middle sector.

Very important for confidence that we go to Galway and put in a big shift. 3 championship losses in a row now - don't want that run continuing much longer.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Under Lights on May 16, 2023, 02:20:20 PM
Heard there have been a number of departures from the panel over the last two weeks but no announcements made

Who all is meant to have gone? They called in a few u20's a few weeks back - wonder was that as replacements?

LeoMc

Quote from: Under Lights on May 16, 2023, 02:20:20 PM
We should get confirmations on Friday evening when the ACL kicks off.

Fuzzman

Heard they had a challenge match a few weeks back and they were flying. Looks like Michael O'Neill is their preferred sweeper so I'd expect him to start at 11 and drop back like he used to. Those 8 central positions don't really seem to matter any more who is named where.

McKernan and Harte would be good wing backs able to attack and shoot with probably Burns in the centre for me. Although I won't be surprised to see Mattie drop back there a lot too when they have possession. We really need to protect that central area a lot more than we have been doing as a lot of games we were wide open if a man gets turned or slips. We have conceded a lot of goals since 2021 and often it's right up the middle.

What's the story with Sludden? Has he just fell down the pecking order as I think he's always did well when he has come on and is usually worth a few scores? I suppose he's one of the older lads now and maybe suits coming on ala Tiernan used to.

I can see Meyler and McGeary at wing forward again although I really hope the latter starts getting back to himself soon as he's a long way off the high standard he set in 2021. Meyler showed us recently he can kick points too but he always gets a tough marking job as we saw v Monaghan.

Mattie didn't seem to spend much time in at FF in recent games and so we continue to rotate that position with our midfielders to various levels of success. Again I'd really love to see McGleenan given a full half in here where we use his obvious strengths.
I just think it would help us to mix it up a bit and not be always running the ball into two small men.
Quinn might suit half back more than corner.

Niall Morgan
Pádraig Hampsey  Ronan McNamee   Cormac Quinn
Peter Harte           Frank Burns         Michael McKernan

Brian Kennedy Conn Kilpatrick

Kieran McGeary   Michael O'Neill     Conor Meyler
Darren McCurry   Mattie Donnelly   Darragh Canavan

Just realized that's very close to the AI winning team bar Sludden and McKenna

Subs to come on
Sludden
Oguz
McGleenan
Ruairi C

Galway will be well up for this feeling they've become one of the top 3 teams now.
Have we ever lost to them in the AI championship? I know we met in a few quarterfinals in 00's and of course 1986 & 1995 semi finals.
I've a feeling McShane's days in the FF line might be over as it looks like he's lost his pace or sharpness.
Would he be better suited at wing forward to help the midfield. He is still an accurate kicker and has an eye for goal but it looked like he was struggling to win ball into him in a congested area.

rrhf

1956 we lost to a Frankie Stockwell and Sean Purcell inspired Galway.  Still hurts...

Stan

I hope that big McGleenan gets a decent run out one of these days

NotedObserver

Quote from: Stan on May 16, 2023, 10:23:20 PM
I hope that big McGleenan gets a decent run out one of these days

What kind of mobility has he got? Looks quick enuf going forward

omagh_gael

According to a significant Mayo twitter personality Tyrone gave Mayo a strong showing in a challenge match recently.

Quarterbackk

Yes the B team outscored the A team against Mayo

Redhand Santa

When was this meant to have been? Any reports on who played etc?

God14

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 17, 2023, 08:09:27 AM
When was this meant to have been? Any reports on who played etc?

weekend before last in carrick on shannon. not much info on it, other than went fairly well

GaelTheGael

Darragh Canavan pick up a hamstring injury during it?