Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: Ireland2019 on March 13, 2023, 07:00:16 PM
Hearing that a few managers have recently expressed their interest in the Tyrone ladies job in 2024? Pat McNabb (Trillick, Omagh CBS) being touted for the job. Would be a huge addition for the ladies if true
Good man  Pat...test the water before putting yourself out there. Think you've been harshly treated by the CBS, as everyone knows you're the original brains behind their success.

omagh_gael

Ruairi Canavan is thrilled to have the opportunity to represent Tyrone at both under-20 and senior level this season, following a recent change to GAA rules.

Canavan says it's important to him to be able to play with the group of friends he has progressed through the Tyrone academy with and represent the county at U-20.

The Errigal Ciaran youngster, a precocious forward talent, has little to prove in this year's EirGrid under-20 grade after winning Footballer of the Year at that level last season.

But he is adamant that the buzz of playing games is what drives him on.

"I get the buzz from playing games with boys I have been training with and friends with for years," the younger son of Tyrone great Peter tells RTE Sport.

"I love getting to the pitch with a few footballs to kick about with my brother, cousins and teammates. It is important for me to play Under-20.

"I came up through the ranks with a good lot of coaches and players and it was class last year when we got a bit of a reward but we will push on again now hopefully."

Tyrone meet Down at the end of the month in the Eirgrid U-20 Ulster championship. Soon after Canavan, and brother Darragh, will be in senior provincial action with the county.

The lethal young attacker hit 1-04 from play and 1-07 in total as Paul Devlin's side beat Brian Flanagan's Kildare in the 2022 All-Ireland final.

A week earlier he hit 0-08 in the semi-final against Kerry. That was in keeping with his general prowess in front of the posts as he accumulated 1-34 across five games in the Ulster and All-Ireland series.

Ruairí Canavan (L) celebrates with team-mate Lórcan McGarrity after winning the 2022 EirGrid GAA Football All-Ireland Under 20 Championship
Getting the top young players to play in this competition has not always been simple. Until recently the GAA applied a rule effectively preventing youngsters who had played senior championship from lining out with their under-20 side in the same season.

But backed by fellow dual counties Cork and Galway, Wexford proposed a new seven-day window at the recent GAA Congress and saw it sail through with 82% of the vote , meaning that an U20 player can play for both his under-age and senior county teams - just not within a defined seven-day period, Friday morning to Thursday evening.

And yet difficulties remain in assembling players of this age cohort.

"It is hard to get everyone together at this level all over the country, that is clear to see," Canavan says.

"Even this year, Tyrone has three schools in All-Ireland finals, including the Hogan Cup and we are still waiting on boys to come back from that.

"There are also the Fresher and Sigerson competitions taking players but everyone is the same. It's not easy to blend everyone together and you just have work with what you have.

"At least boys are playing at a good level and will come back in good shape."

Canavan's under-20 manager Devlin is now seven seasons in the job as under-20 boss.

"Paul is all about developing players, as are Mugsy (Owen Mulligan) and Dermy (Dermot Carlin) in his backroom. They just want to make us better.

"The end goal is for lads to play with the seniors on big days at Croke Park but if we get success at under-20 level too, we will take that.

"Those lads will take as much satisfaction if a few of us go to play senior football in Croke Park."

Canavan believes that the gap between U-20 and senior is not as wide as people may think.

"There are some differences, you might have that split second on the ball that you won't get at senior level and, physically, there might be elements, but the gap is not as wide as you may imagine."

Speaking of senior level, he says his teammates will take a lot of confidence from their recent win over Kerry in the Allianz League.

"Yeah, it's a big thing for us, I think so," he said.

"We were getting a wild lot of stick there for a few weeks so it was nice to put in a performance.

"We'd been training hard for weeks but it just wasn't showing up on the pitch so it was great to get that win. Hopefully we can drive on now."

Canavan will be looking to do that at both levels. He wouldn't want it any other way.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Big game today. I noticed a number a pundits saying after Kerry that they knew Tyrone would come good. That's all fine and well but we produced a couple of decent performances in the league last year then had such a poor Championship. Really feel it is very important that Tyrone back up the much improved performance against Kerry with another solid showing against Monaghan and build some momentum. Need to bring that intensity again. A win would also be crucial in the context of the league and really set up the Armagh game nicely. All the best to the boys.

RoundBall

Seen Aidan Clarke amongst the players who didn't make the 26 today so good to see him back involved
An Ríocht Uí Néill

NotedObserver

Quote from: RoundBall on March 19, 2023, 07:20:30 PM
Seen Aidan Clarke amongst the players who didn't make the 26 today so good to see him back involved

Many others there? McShane injured or out of favour?

omagh_gael

Slightly off topic but penny for the thoughts of STG on the job Mickey Harte has done with Louth? One game away from being a division 1 team, fair play to him.

GaelTheGael

Quote from: NotedObserver on March 19, 2023, 07:29:46 PM
Quote from: RoundBall on March 19, 2023, 07:20:30 PM

Many others there? McShane injured or out of favour?
No obvious way back into the starting team bar injuries. Would have liked to have seen McGleenan get game time today as Tyrone were cruising after the red cards but alas we got another Richie Donnelly run out.

RoundBall

I seen a good few lads there, Niall Kelly, Peter Teague, Peter Óg McCartan, Lorcán Quinn, Conor Shields, the two Jones', Pádraig McNulty amongst others were there sitting behind the substitutes. David Mulgrew was there too wrapped up so assume he was injured today as was originally listed to start. I heard McShane was down with the flu.

Yeah, fair play to Mickey, Louth going very well.
An Ríocht Uí Néill

WT4E

Quote from: RoundBall on March 19, 2023, 10:11:57 PM
I seen a good few lads there, Niall Kelly, Peter Teague, Peter Óg McCartan, Lorcán Quinn, Conor Shields, the two Jones', Pádraig McNulty amongst others were there sitting behind the substitutes. David Mulgrew was there too wrapped up so assume he was injured today as was originally listed to start. I heard McShane was down with the flu.

Flu wasn't that bad. I seen a picture of at the six nations Saturday evening. Obviously out of favour and rightly so.

Aaron Boone

Bit like last season, this Tyrone campaign could have ended in a League final with more momentum early on. It's still only two League titles which is not great return for a team who've been in Division 1 for most of last 30 years. 

Stan

is that better?

Quote from: WT4E on March 19, 2023, 11:28:51 PM
Quote from: RoundBall on March 19, 2023, 10:11:57 PM

Flu wasn't that bad. I seen a picture of at the six nations Saturday evening. Obviously Could well be out of favour  and rightly so. in my humble opinion

sam03/05

Logan said he was injured in after match interview and out for couple of weeks

An Watcher

Am I correct in thinking tyrone are more or less safe from relegation and it would take a bizarre set of results to relegate them?  If correct I would fire a few new faces in there again or give game time to those that haven't figured so far

sam03/05

Seem to be safe - unless they get beat by about 16 points and Monaghan win v Mayo.
They can also make the league final ,if Kerry beat Galway by a narrow margin  and Tyrone overtake them both on score difference. Both scenarios unlikely. Would require a 6 or 7 point win over Armagh

God14

Quote from: An Watcher on March 20, 2023, 03:58:13 PM
Am I correct in thinking tyrone are more or less safe from relegation and it would take a bizarre set of results to relegate them?  If correct I would fire a few new faces in there again or give game time to those that haven't figured so far

McCarron, Quinn, Oguz, Ruairi, Niall Devlin all got game time again yesterday and acquitted themselves well. A quiet, under the radar rebuild is underway.