Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

God14

The ref was poor in general and particularly sore on Tyrone. Derry have more work done in preseason, and their superior fitness came to the fore in the final quarter. They were full value for the draw.
We collapsed at the kick out in the last quarter. Despite having a considerable size advantage.
Kennedy, Richie, Mattie & Conn I would have expected to win more than their fair share of ball when Gallen was forced to go long. Derry are not the biggest in midfield especially w/out glass. But Tyrone looked really knackered.
The subs didn't have the desired effect either, in fact Mckernan & McGeary didn't lift us at all. Mcnabb and Canavan were starved of possession as a result of the middle third collapse, irrelevant subs.

More petulance and another red card too. That needs nipped in the bud ASAP.
Plenty for the management to improve on fitness wise & in terms of their own in game management
It feels like a defeat even though it wasn't - which is a good thing.
Most folk would say another game on Saturday is a positive, I dunno, they look like a group that would benefit more from some hard intensive collective training and focus ahead of Roscommon away, at the months end.

God14

Quote from: square_ball on January 11, 2023, 09:51:46 PM
Anybody impress this evening?

McCarron in defence. Great to see McShane look a bit like his old self too.

tyrone08

What's the story with McCurry is he injured?

Don't think hamspey deserved the ref. He square up but didn't see any digs. He needs to nip that attitude in the bud as he does get involved in too many needless incidents.

Commentator was saying that Gallagher was shouting at the ref and tyrone keeper for stopping the kick out to kick another ball away. The pratt mustn't have realised a Derry fan threw the ball on the pitch to stop the tyrone kickout. He really is an over the top moron when he's on the side line.

God14

McCurry is in Thailand on holiday.

I like Gallagher. We criticise players and management for being sterile, motionless, giving clichéd interviews
You can't have it both ways, at least he shows passion and let's himself go. Even in a mckenna Cup game. Fair play to him I say, although I do think it will end with egg on his face someday, and thatll be good crack too. He's a character for sure and we need more of them

smort

Quote from: tyrone08 on January 11, 2023, 10:12:59 PM
What's the story with McCurry is he injured?

Don't think hamspey deserved the ref. He square up but didn't see any digs. He needs to nip that attitude in the bud as he does get involved in too many needless incidents.

Commentator was saying that Gallagher was shouting at the ref and tyrone keeper for stopping the kick out to kick another ball away. The pratt mustn't have realised a Derry fan threw the ball on the pitch to stop the tyrone kickout. He really is an over the top moron when he's on the side line.

Going by social media, he is on his holidays

tyrone08

Quote from: God14 on January 11, 2023, 10:15:53 PM
McCurry is in Thailand on holiday.

I like Gallagher. We criticise players and management for being sterile, motionless, giving clichéd interviews
You can't have it both ways, at least he shows passion and let's himself go. Even in a mckenna Cup game. Fair play to him I say, although I do think it will end with egg on his face someday, and thatll be good crack too. He's a character for sure and we need more of them

Thanks.

There is being a character then there is roaring and shouting at every single decision which goes against you. That style of management has a short term effect which would why this is his 3rd team in about 8 years

TyroneClubs

Cathal McShane brilliant last night. Super movement throughout and took some quality scores, especially the team score in 2nd half. Poor free to miss near end but conditions obviously played a part. I really hope he can keep this up as he is a real force and makes over teams worry more about the full back line so he preoccupies players before a ball is even thrown in

NotedObserver

Quote from: TyroneClubs on January 12, 2023, 07:30:02 AM
Cathal McShane brilliant last night. Super movement throughout and took some quality scores, especially the team score in 2nd half. Poor free to miss near end but conditions obviously played a part. I really hope he can keep this up as he is a real force and makes over teams worry more about the full back line so he preoccupies players before a ball is even thrown in

Cathal great when working on instinct. Quick ball and turn and shoot. Did well considering the weather. Can they get him mccurry canavan working together?

ONeill

What's the story with Canavan playing only second halves this year? Sigerson and McKenna.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

shawshank

He was playing on a novice 18/19 year old, wouldn't get to excited just yet.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: ONeill on January 12, 2023, 08:08:51 PM
What's the story with Canavan playing only second halves this year? Sigerson and McKenna.

Assume it is load management.

HokeyPokey

Quote from: shawshank on January 13, 2023, 09:29:33 AM

He was playing on a novice 18/19 year old, wouldn't get to excited just yet.

I didn't see the match, but even so, McShane seems to be a confidence player, so that's what he needs. Shining in winter football is no mean feat either. Watching football at this time of year is not enjoyable, nor I am sure is playing in it either. Every league match in Healy Park seems to be during some minor weather event and you'd be foundered even watching it at home.

Redhand Santa

Can anyone shed any light on whether the following players in the panel or what their story is:

McNamee (assuming injured)
Michael O'Neill
Peter Teague
Michael McGleenan
Ruairi Canavan
Joe Oguz
Nathan Donnelly

I'm guessing the following players must be gone:

Ben McDonnell
Niall Kelly
Michael conroy
Ryan Coleman
Ryan mccusker
Johnny Munroe

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Another steady performance last night. After Cavan's early blast of scores Tyrone took over completely and 3 point half time lead didn't really reflect the play. Cavan came back into a bit more in the second half. Given the way Tyrone fell away in the second half against Derry it was good to see them re-asserting themselves last night after Cavan got close. Didn't really think result was ever in doubt and 5 point win probably about right.

Good to see McShane looking sharp again and Darragh Canavan also dangerous. Mulgrew got through a lot of work too despite not scoring. Thought McGeary was a bit sharper than the midweek game and McCartan busy on his debut. Munroe has done well at FB in the two games I've seen also.

Still very early and a few men to come back and with fitness and sharpness to go up through the gears, but there is a decent foundation there.  It's never worth getting too excited or worried about the McKenna Cup, but in the context of last year when Tyrone were so poor early on and never really got going, perhaps more important than normal this year that the team showed something in January. Another game before the league shouldn't do any harm either.

square_ball

Quote from: Redhand Santa on January 15, 2023, 07:53:39 AM
Can anyone shed any light on whether the following players in the panel or what their story is:

McNamee (assuming injured)
Michael O'Neill
Peter Teague
Michael McGleenan
Ruairi Canavan
Joe Oguz
Nathan Donnelly

I'm guessing the following players must be gone:

Ben McDonnell
Niall Kelly
Michael conroy
Ryan Coleman
Ryan mccusker
Johnny Munroe

I think someone said on here McDonnell was going travelling. He'd a very good club championship so I'd imagine he'd have still been on the squad. Was Coleman the one who got the jaw broke v Clonoe? Munroe missed the county final unless he is still recovering from that?

Squad looks in decent shape. The 2 new lads in the full back line are performing well. Niall Devlin going well too I thought. We should pick up wins v Roscommon, Monaghan and Donegal for starters and then after that who knows.