Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

Quote from: yellowcard on May 01, 2023, 11:56:13 AM
I'd be quietly confident we can beat Derry as well but it will be much tougher than any of our previous matches. We are much better than Derry in the forward line and I can see those long balls into the Derry full back line giving Derry all sorts of problems. Their defenders just aren't equipped to deal with that type of game. Having Murnin fit though will be essential since he has been our best player all season by some distance. Derry have a big advantage at midfield though and if Armagh can contain Glass and Rodgers and gain close to parity here then it will go a long way towards winning the match.

The pressure is off Armagh now to a certain extent as we have done what was expected of us and the 2 best teams in Ulster will now face off in the final that most people would have called at the outset of the championship. It's also a novel pairing since there is no real history between these Armagh and Derry teams to speak of.
I wouldnt say Armagh are much better than Derry in the forward line. If i had to pick a combined team of 6 forwards McGuigan, Doherty and Cassidy would all start in my opinion. Oneill, grogan and murnin would be the 3 armagh players. I'll hold my judgement on Turbitt until i see him score a lot v a team above D3. He was fairly quiet yesterday but it was a bad day which def didnt help him.

Mario

Didn't realise Walter had just posted the exact same thing

Armagh18

McCambridge on McGuigan if he's fit. Mackin to tag Rodgers? Would have the engine for him. Crealey for Glass man marking job? Should be a good game.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 01, 2023, 12:11:59 PM
McCambridge on McGuigan if he's fit. Mackin to tag Rodgers? Would have the engine for him. Crealey for Glass man marking job? Should be a good game.

Youse must rate this McCambridge lad. Who is he?

tonto1888

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 01, 2023, 12:13:05 PM

He has broken in to the team this year. Good defender. Marked both Clifford and Walsh and done well on them.

yellowcard

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 01, 2023, 12:02:00 PM
I'd be quietly confident we can beat Derry as well but it will be much tougher than any of our previous matches. We are much better than Derry in the forward line and I can see those long balls into the Derry full back line giving Derry all sorts of problems. Their defenders just aren't equipped to deal with that type of game. Having Murnin fit though will be essential since he has been our best player all season by some distance. Derry have a big advantage at midfield though and if Armagh can contain Glass and Rodgers and gain close to parity here then it will go a long way towards winning the match.

The pressure is off Armagh now to a certain extent as we have done what was expected of us and the 2 best teams in Ulster will now face off in the final that most people would have called at the outset of the championship. It's also a novel pairing since there is no real history between these Armagh and Derry teams to speak of.

McGuigan, E Doherty and Paul Cassidy would make a combined forward line. Fully fit McFaul too. Don't think youse are much better tbh.

How is the pressure off Armagh and Geezer in particular. You haven't delivered!

Those 3 players are the most dangerous Derry forwards but overall I think Armagh have more attacking threat. We had forwards of the calibre of Soupy Campbell and Nugent coming off the bench yesterday and I'd say there are now about 8/9 very good forwards on a par with any of the best teams in the country. More importantly we have begun playing to the strengths of our own players again even if we haven't seen a real outstanding performance for 70 minutes yet. During most of the League we tried too much to try and cover up our deficiencies in defence to the detriment of our own strengths in the forward division.

There will always be pressure on Geezer that just goes with the territory but in most peoples eyes Armagh won't be favourites going into this final which suits very well.   

Walter Cronc

Quote from: yellowcard on May 01, 2023, 12:50:08 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 01, 2023, 12:02:00 PM

McGuigan, E Doherty and Paul Cassidy would make a combined forward line. Fully fit McFaul too. Don't think youse are much better tbh.

How is the pressure off Armagh and Geezer in particular. You haven't delivered!

Those 3 players are the most dangerous Derry forwards but overall I think Armagh have more attacking threat. We had forwards of the calibre of Soupy Campbell and Nugent coming off the bench yesterday and I'd say there are now about 8/9 very good forwards on a par with any of the best teams in the country. More importantly we have begun playing to the strengths of our own players again even if we haven't seen a real outstanding performance for 70 minutes yet. During most of the League we tried too much to try and cover up our deficiencies in defence to the detriment of our own strengths in the forward division.

There will always be pressure on Geezer that just goes with the territory but in most peoples eyes Armagh won't be favourites going into this final which suits very well.   

Granted Armagh have a better squad no doubt but our attacking game this year has been super at times. I think McConville & Murphy summed it up yesterday about how Armagh need this ulster. Much like Derry last year.

Armagh18

Kept Walsh and Clifford quiet in the league games (with help to be fair) Clann Eireann player, won a senior championship with them there couple of years ago. Good tight marking defender. He's 24 or 25 but only really getting his chance this year, was one of our few positives in the league I thought. Conor O'Neill or Forker other options for McGuigan who are capable of driving forward as well and making him track them.

JoG2

Just hope we give a good account of ourselves, a bad beating leading into the round robin wouldn't be ideal

Captain Obvious

Quote from: JoG2 on May 01, 2023, 04:32:56 PM
Just hope we give a good account of ourselves, a bad beating leading into the round robin wouldn't be ideal
Yerra.

bennydorano

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 01, 2023, 12:23:47 PM

He has broken in to the team this year. Good defender. Marked both Clifford and Walsh and done well on them.
McCambridge  has never struck me as the paciest defender about, did well on winter sods with a LOT of defensive cover around him, I wouldn't be pinning our hopes on him in isolation.

yellowcard

Quote from: bennydorano on May 01, 2023, 05:21:02 PM

McCambridge  has never struck me as the paciest defender about, did well on winter sods with a LOT of defensive cover around him, I wouldn't be pinning our hopes on him in isolation.

Or alternatively you could say that he's done all that could be asked of him in the National League against the best sides in the country. I'm not saying you're wrong in doubting him but he had a very strong League campaign for a rookie campaigner, it would have been much easier in the championship against the three division 3 teams we've faced to date. I don't think he'll start the final though unless it is to do a specific job on a certain player. Personally I don't think he's the best match for McGuigan as Forker looks tailor made for him to put him on the back foot. 

Armagh18

McGeeney must like and trust him if he gave him those 2 jobs against 2 of the best forwards in Ireland but I take your point. Not sure which of the 6 backs you drop for him though as can't really complain about any. Hopefully Crealey is ok but if not maybe Mackin or Jarly Og will go to midfield and McCambridge could slot in. Mackin would be well suited to track Rodgers i think

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on May 01, 2023, 05:31:59 PM

Or alternatively you could say that he's done all that could be asked of him in the National League against the best sides in the country. I'm not saying you're wrong in doubting him but he had a very strong League campaign for a rookie campaigner, it would have been much easier in the championship against the three division 3 teams we've faced to date. I don't think he'll start the final though unless it is to do a specific job on a certain player. Personally I don't think he's the best match for McGuigan as Forker looks tailor made for him to put him on the back foot.
Yeah Forker will push up the field and take a score, could be a good choice, similar to Conor O'Neill who could do a job as well on him, did well on Liam Kerr who is an excellent forward.

tbrick18

Jeez reading this page I'm not sure Derry should bother turning up. ;D

I get that Armagh feel confident based on a performance against Galway last year. But have armagh improved?
Derry certainly have.

In the last 2 games Derry have had 10 different scorers and racked up huge scores.
Armagh might get a goal or two, but might not as I feel that is one aspect of the game they'll work on before the final.
Armagh might run rings around us.
But I doubt it.

If Armagh were to play monaghan, would they beat them the way Derry did? I don't think they would.
Derry will really want to stamp their authority on Ulster and show their dominance.
I think we have the stronger 15 and a better manager, no guarantee that means we'll win, but I think Armagh will need to do something special to beat us.