Depression

Started by Eamonnca1, October 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

No problem with properly qualified people providing this help and awareness to people, but there are grifters all round the place going round giving "mental health talks" who are just in it for the grift. A few current Gaa players at it too. It's a cottage industry
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffrongael on February 25, 2022, 12:27:43 PM
No problem with properly qualified people providing this help and awareness to people, but there are grifters all round the place going round giving "mental health talks" who are just in it for the grift. A few current Gaa players at it too. It's a cottage industry

Who would see a non credited health professional on a matter that so different and wide ranging from one person to the next? Christ its a minefield for the most experienced professional. Yes have a chat with someone going through it who can understand what you are going through, but to actually help someone in the long term?

No, get accredited and then with your own background and with the tools of the course you'll be better prepared.

Thats like saying someone who suffered with a back issue will see someone who's had a back problem before! You go see a proper physio
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

These are talks to audiences generally though and not one to one sessions. (at least from what I can gather).

tbrick18

Quote from: Saffrongael on February 25, 2022, 12:27:43 PM

There are definately people taking advantage of the need.
I know of one school teacher (who's not much of a teacher) who has done a course with some online franchise and is now advertising his counselling services.
Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

I'm lucky enough to have private medical insurance through my employer which covers my family. I contacted them and there is a mental health treatment cover included and I could have put him through that to be seen almost immediately.
However, I was a bit concerned as I also wanted to stick with the avenue our GP suggested and I didn't want two different sets of counselling.
For now, until we see how it goes, we'll stick with CAMHS. But should it not be working for him, I have that fallback option I guess.

tbrick18

Quote from: small white mayoman on February 25, 2022, 11:03:43 AM
Quote from: Rudi on February 23, 2022, 07:21:25 PM
Good luck Brick, I feel your pain. I have huge problems with my 14 year old boy, who has threatened to kill himself since he was 9, massive anger issues. The wife & I have tried alot of stuff, nothing is working. It's a  long road ahead impossible to live in the moment or enjoy life, just waiting for the next meltdown. Counsellors are non existent, GP,s are utterly useless. Teachers in fairness do their best. That's what I've found. The mind is a complex place, but the problems appear to be exacerbated by how young people form relationships/ friendships these days ie social media. Its toxic.
Good luck

I know exactly how you feel Rudi, i could have written your post word for word ,  it comes to a stage where  you dread receiving a phone call or message. The mental health service down south is a joke , no help whatsoever .  I personally blame social media for a lot of it. All you hear is regarding mental help is talk to someone , but in reality there is no one to talk to , not unless you can wait 6 months.     

It's a scary situation to be in.
All I can say is that thankfully, so far the care for my son has been good. His school have also been very pro-active and helpful.

Square Ball

Read this from the start as first time been in here. Can't believe the price of counciling. I am lucky, in work they introduced and trained Mental Health first aiders, we also have access to 6 councillor sessions, thankfully not needed.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

paddyjohn

Bumping this up a bit.

Keep talking folks and look after each other.

quit yo jibbajabba

Not good. See Selby off the snooker badly bothered with depression too. 4 time world champ but think hes struggling at the minute (on and off table)

paddyjohn

Giving this a bump folks.

Keep talking

Dire Ear

Bump, tis hard sometimes

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dire Ear on September 25, 2022, 12:54:41 AM
Bump, tis hard sometimes
Always a worry when lads are pinging this late at night. Plenty of boys here to talk if needs be. Don't kee0 it to yourself.

Eamonnca1

screenexile

DM's open for anyone who wants a chat about anything... whatever about the shite goes on here we're a community and I'm happy to talk to anyone to help them through what they're going through.

Even Tyrone hoors no bother!!

In all seriousness though if you're struggling let me know I'll do my best to help if I can!!

Eamonnca1

Bumping for US daylight savings. Always a tricky time of year for a lot of people