Laochra Gael Charlie Redmond

Started by Mourne Rover, February 26, 2007, 09:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

Down fans who need a little cheering up after recent results will probably look forward to Laochra Gael Charlie Redmond on TG4 tomorrow night (9.30pm). According to the trailer, it concentrates heavily on Charlie's missed penalty in front of Hill16 in the 1994 AI final. As every Down supporter will confirm, it was never a penalty in the first place and Brian Burns was stitched up by a bad decision.
However, we need not have worried, as Neil Collins pulled off a brilliant save and DJ managed to block the rebound. Wee James jumped into Neil's arms, and the Down support on the Canal End danced in the rain - number five was in the bag.

In fairness to Charlie, he turned up to play in the Goal charity game in Newry a couple of nights later when a lot of players would have invented an excuse. He went to the Brass Monkey afterwards with a couple of other Dubs, had a few pints with the Down fans, took a fair amount of banter and kept smiling. Tyrone might not have been too happy about the circumstances in which he eventually won his All Ireland a year later, but no one in Down would have begrudged his medal. Charlie was a character and a half, and the Dubs don't seem to produce forwards like him any more.

realredhandfan

he certainly was the Alan Shearer of gaelic football. 

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Mourne Rover on February 26, 2007, 09:30:00 PM
Charlie was a character and a half, and the Dubs don't seem to produce forwards like him any more.

Nor freetakers either for that matter. Or guys who are relaxed enough to have a word or two with the press before a big game.

mouview

Jeez, they're scraping the barrel a bit if Charlie is a Laochra Gael, n'est pa?

Hardy

They're doing one on Dessie next. Luchre Gael, it'll be called.

Hardy

Then there'll be one covering all the lads who wear the cycling shorts.

Yes - Lycra Gael.

I'll stop now.

INDIANA

"Jeez, they're scraping the barrel a bit if Charlie is a Laochra Gael, n'est pa? "

stands up with anyone from that era - an excellent footballer and freetaker and a nice fella to boot

GPA not OK

Dessie's show would be called Laocha Euro

Shamrock Shore

Like Charlie's penalties I may miss this one.

Like Charlie's penalties I may miss any repeats as well.

Handy man though. When Dubs got a close in free you had time to get off the chair, go to the jacks for a wee, put on the kettle, make the tay and be back settled in the chair just as he was slotting it over the bar after spending an age doing his 'three steps back and four sideways' routine.

LOL at Hardy  :D

The Bottom Brick

QuoteThey're doing one on Dessie next. Luchre Gael, it'll be called

:D Brilliant
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

EugeneGeraghty

I thought it amusing that the last comment of the show was from a Dublin fan:

"Their were plenty of kids here today and I hope they won't be grown up till they see another All-ieland again"

I'd say some of those kids he was referring to have their own children now and still no Sam in the capital. From a personal point of view I hope that John O'Leary remains the last Dublin captain to pick up Sam till the day he dies and that he has a long long life ahead of him

timmykelleher

'95 is only 12 years ago but these days would you ever see a corner back go up to a referee and plead the case for an opposing corner forward.

Grant me O'Lord a hurlers skill

With strength of arm and speed of limb

Unerring eye for the flying ball

and courage to match whate'er befall

May my stroke be speedy and my aim be true

My actions manly and my misses few;

No matter what way the game may go

May I rest in friendship with every foe

And when the final whistle for me has blown

And I stand at last before God's judgment throne,

May the great referee when he calls my name

Say, you hurled like a man, you played the game
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

DUBSFORSAM1

Timmy

My thoughts exactly....couldn't imagine that happening at all now...

Seeing Charlie kick the frees though that well he could probably be in the Dublin team just for that....

Interesting to see him accept the blame for losing in 94 and not accept the credit for getting them there.....a true team player...

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: 5iveTimes on February 28, 2007, 01:09:51 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on February 28, 2007, 12:17:52 PM

Interesting to see him accept the blame for losing in 94 and not accept the credit for getting them there.....a true team player...

I wouldnt blame Charlie for Dublin losing in `94. I`d rather give credit to Down for beating both Dublin and a very biased referee.

5Times

I don't blame Charlie - he blames himself!!!!!

Certainly don't remember him being such a biased ref at all...

lynchbhoy

sneaky cheeky dub refuses to go off after getting red card in all Ireland final shocker  :D