Carlton Corkman clocks Cloke, contract cancellation considered.

Started by stephenite, February 06, 2009, 04:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Carlton key-position player Setanta O'hAilpin could be sacked by the Blues after kicking and punching teammate Cameron Cloke during an intra-club match today.

Blues coach Brett Ratten refused to rule out the possibility of the club tearing up the Irishman's contract following the sensational off-the-ball incident during the third quarter of the match at Princes Park.

O'hAilpin struck Cloke with a left fist to the head and then kicked the ruckman while he lay on the ground.

"Reflecting on what has happened it's not part of our game," said Ratten.

"We'll sit down with Setanta and work through that.

"We'll look at it as it's a poor act.

"I think in practice matches, you go through history and training in general, there's all the argy-bargy and ... things like that.

"But that is not part of our game.

"(Setanta) has gone home and we'll give him time to cool off and have a think about his actions.

"And we'll take it up this afternoon."

When asked whether the incident could prompt Carlton to sack O'hAilpin, Ratten replied: "We'll have to sit down and talk about all the issues."

The match was held up for 15 minutes as both players were taken from the field, with Cloke being examined by the club's medical staff.

Neither player returned to the action and the game was stopped at the end of the third quarter.

As the intra-club match was being officiated by AFL umpires, O'hAilpin could be reported for the incident.

In further bad news for the Blues, defender Andrew Carrazzo suffered a left arm injury.

O'hAilpin, 24, who was a hurling star in Ireland, has played 46 games in four seasons for the Blues.

AAP

Puckoon

Any reports or news on what prompted it?

Puckoon

Didnt seem to be much provocation. He hits him a decent dig and then a fair boot to the balls/up the hole as hes on the deck!!

Puckoon

The players were scuffling late in the third quarter when the notoriously temperamental O'hAilpin cut loose.

First he threw a left-handed roundhouse at Cloke, dropping him, and then struck out with his right boot.

The match was held up for 15 minutes as both players were taken from the field, with Cloke being examined by the club's medical staff.

O'hAilpin was sent off the ground by club leader Brendan Fevola, with captain Chris Judd then advising him to return home to cool his heels.

Neither player returned to the action and the game was stopped at the end of the third quarter.

Cloke left the ground afterwards without comment, having suffered a cut eye in the incident.

The incident compounded an already disappointing intra-club match with best and fairest-winning midfielder Andrew Carrazzo leaving the ground with what is believed to be a serious left-arm injury.

O'hAilpin has been known to tangle with his teammates at training but kicking a player, especially a teammate, is seen as one of football's lowest acts.

Cloke left the ground shaken and was assessed by doctors for what seemed a bruise on his right eyebrow and took no part in the game.

Surrounded by media post-match, he would say only that he was fine and was unwilling to discuss the issue.

This disrupts what was shaping as a perfect preseason for Carlton with captain Chris Judd in perfect condition and Brendan Fevola earlier kicking a goal in a solid performance.

Interesting angles on O'Hailpin.

stephenite

A guy on the telly here just said that Setanta was not good enough to be allowed to get away with this and that it would be no suprise if his contract was torn up. I don't think it'll get to that to be honest.

Puckoon

Rightly so IMO. Its not the punch really, but the kick afterwards. Its not a hard boot, but its a seriously cheap shot. Seems like he takes the time to think about it and then goes - "right, ya **** - here you go"

Id not be happy playing alongside some fella that thought they could kick me when Im on the deck.
'

Btw, I like the alliteration

stephenite

It was a cheap shot - I suspect there was something said while they were on the ground that sparked a fuse

Joxer

Going to need Frank Murphy to sort this one out!

Nice left hook all the same!

GrandMasterFlash

Ahhh... I thought it was a tongue-twister when I read the subject line.

thejuice

Talk about cutting ties with Australia, wont be long before they're all come/sent home
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Canalman

SOH in big trouble imo. Not a "big" enough player to get away with this. Aussie Rules operates on a loose type of "mateship" code of conduct which he breached big time with the kicking of a teammate on the ground. The punch would have probably got him fined only but the cheap shot kick............ not good. However if he was a class AFL player then he would probably be suspended and sent to "Anger Classes".
Feel vey sorry for the lad as the Melbourne papers/media/radio talkshows will thrive on the story.

T Fearon

JohnDenver

Don't think there was a big pile in it, the other man hit the deck like a sack of sh*te.  He was happy enough to try and get the upper hand on SOH so he can't have much complaints.

Jinxy

Lads at this rate I don't think many AFL clubs will be experimenting with Irish players in the near future.
If you were any use you'd be playing.