Gaelic football informational video - help needed with translation

Started by Eamonnca1, August 24, 2010, 01:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Hi all. Asylum seeker from An Fear Rua here.

I've made an informational video explaining Gaelic football and uploaded it to youtube.  This is a compliment to the hugely popular hurling informational movie that's now getting about 400 hits per day.  These videos are for people to use in GAA overseas units who are introducing people to the games for the first time.  I know that the GAA did produce half-hour long videos for that purpose about ten years ago, but the only use I ever found for them was to use them as an example of how not to make an informational video that's supposed to get people excited about our games, but don't get me started on that!

With a bit of help from people around the web I got the hurling video translated into six other languages: Polish, Russian, French, Spanish, German, and Dutch.

I want to do the same translation job for this football video, so if anyone could help I'd be eternally grateful. Any languages will do, even Asian languages if any of you can speak them.

Since there's no voice over, it's all done with captions so it's a whole lot easier.

The captions go as follows:

• The suspense and skill of soccer
  • The high scoring of basketball
  • The impact of Rugby
  • Agility
  • Speed
  • Skill
  • Gaelic Football
  • Catch the ball in the air
  • Chip the ball up with your foot
  • Carry the ball for 4 steps...
  • ..then do something with it
  • Kick it back into your hands
  • Bounce the ball...
  • ...but not twice in a row
  • Strike the ball with your hand or fist
  • Kick the ball on the ground
  • Kick the ball from your hands
  • Shoot over the crossbar for one point
  • Shoot into the net for three points
  • Block his shot with your hands
  • Flick the ball out of his hands
  • Hit him shoulder-to-shoulder
  • Above all...
  • Be accurate...
  • Be fast...
  • And be brave

Please do not use automatic translation services like Google translate - they will surely misunderstand words like "chip" and "shot" as used above.  You don't have to get an exact translation, just as close as you can to make the point using the minimum number of words possible.  Brevity and accuracy are the key things here.

Also, please post your translation under the English line so I'll know what means what.

Feel free to post this on AFR if any of you have accounts there.

If you don't want to post publicly here then contact me through my youtube channel.

Thanks.

Hardy

Excellent work Eamonn - that hurling video is the best showcase of hurling I've seem. I've been meaning to post it here as an example of what the GAA should be doing and in contrast to the awful supposedly promotional stuff they've produced as you mentioned, showing lads in awkward poses in stills meant to illustrate skills of the game, etc. All these would achieve would be to have people scratching their heads.

I can't help you with the translations, unless you want to produce a version in Meathish.
- D'suspense an skill a sawcah
- D'hi scordin a baaaaaaskaball
etc.

Looking forward to the video.

rrhf

Eamonnca1

They seem to have a hard time understanding the mind of someone who has never seen the sport before. If you watch the hurling movie that they made, the number of assumptions, omissions and plain errors in the first few minutes alone is shocking.

"Hurling is one of the national games played in Ireland."  Objection: It's played all over the world.

"It traces its origins to Celtic folklore heroes such as CuChulainn."  Objection: Who the hell is that? When did he live?  Why are you telling me this?

Gawd I could go on for five pages picking holes in that stinker of a film!

thejuice

I can sort you out with Spanish and Catalan (Barcelona Gaels will apprechiate it) translations. Will get back to you in a day or so.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

That's excellent. I can imagine showing that to a foreigner and giving them a real insight into Gaelic Football.

BennyHarp

Great stuff! I'm promoting Gaelic as a sports enhancement in the school I teach in in England and will be doing an assembly in early September to recruit! Think this has just sorted that assembly for me! Cheers Eamon! Unfortunately I can't help with any of the translations, but I'll ask the language dept when I get back to work to see if they can help!
That was never a square ball!!

Eamonnca1

Benny, if you want the DVD version, contact me through my youtube channel and give me your address, I can send it on to you.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eamonnca1

Puckoon

Eamonnca1

Eamonnca1

Got the Swedish, and I've asked someone to do French and Spanish, although Juice if you have the Spanish done then by all means send it.

It'd be great to have it in Catalan all right.  Want to do the hurling captions while you're at it?

Eamonnca1

Zulu

That's a very good video Eamonn but if you don't mind I've one or two suggestions. I think you should put in some clips of kids playing the football, especially clips of kids playing in CP, (if they're available) just to show them that even kids their own age can play in magnificent stadiums like CP. Some highlights of the kids games played at half time should be accessible. I'd also show a few clips of 'the hill', Croke Park when full and fans making their way to games, to show the kids that this is a big time sport that they should look upon it in the same way they would soccer or rugby. Finally I think there are youtube clips of great Ciaran McDonald and Maurice Fitz scores, some of which are breath taking and these would inspire kids who aren't familiar with the games more than some of the clips on there currently IMO. It's a great video but I think some of those suggestions might add to it's value to coaches who are working with kids unfamiliar with the game.