Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 19, 2020, 03:00:18 PM
In a room at 20ft wide by 24ft long you could fit 30 kids single table no problem. That's allowing a bit too. I would think most classes are no smaller

Where you getting these single tables? We only have tables for 2 in our school. Also, you're not taking into the consideration the benches and cabinets etc around the room to hold resources, books, computers etc. Do the children have to move when one needs to go to the toilet? Do they younger kids sit on tables the whole day without moving? Does the teacher sit at their desk and teach from there or are they going to move kids out of the room so they can go to the Whiteboard? With 1m social distancing it's not going to work, I've measured it every which way and it's not happening. Remove the 1m social distancing and we are in business. I'd love to actually invite you into my classroom and show you the room we have. I taught P5 a few years ago with 36 in the class and the room was much smaller than my current classroom that will not accommodate 26 children with 1m social distancing in place.

ONeill

Bubble the children. 2 beside each other. Hey presto, half the problem.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Smurfy123

Ah ffs lads you are now going looking problems. Move the resources around the classroom to the store for now. Jesus do you want Weir to go hold your hands on this matter. 20by24 maxes out can hold 42 now that's not possible. It can be done and it can be done easily. Classes would be set out test style and that's easily allowing 30 with space between.
Yes the transport is an issue Johnny but this is we're parents need to step up to the plate. Working parents probably need to change hours of work but surely that's better than not getting at all.
Yes it's goin to take a bit of work but surely in the next 2 weeks teachers can get most of it done .
I honestly don't see the problems

Smurfy123

Bubble 2 kids like O Neill said
Perfect
Lots of problems solved

JimStynes

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 19, 2020, 04:02:21 PM
Ah ffs lads you are now going looking problems. Move the resources around the classroom to the store for now. Jesus do you want Weir to go hold your hands on this matter. 20by24 maxes out can hold 42 now that's not possible. It can be done and it can be done easily. Classes would be set out test style and that's easily allowing 30 with space between.
Yes the transport is an issue Johnny but this is we're parents need to step up to the plate. Working parents probably need to change hours of work but surely that's better than not getting at all.
Yes it's goin to take a bit of work but surely in the next 2 weeks teachers can get most of it done .

I'm now sure you're a wum.
We can remove the resources but we can't remove the benches and cupboards that are fitted to the wall. Do we bring the sledge hammer in and knock all that down? Buy extra tables and chairs from the non existent budget. You haven't a clue. Just remove the 1m social distancing rule and that's it sorted.

Estimator

The Dept has produced some more documentation on this. Going by their own plans they are only getting 26 into a room.

https://www.education-ni.gov.uk/publications/northern-ireland-re-opening-school-guidance-new-school-day
Ulster League Champions 2009

Smurfy123

Jim 20/24 was a small class
Come on now most classes are bigger
And I allowed for more space as 20/24 could seat 42 do the maths
A bubble where 2 kids stay together indoors
You know full well what a bubble is in respect to Covid
The 1 metre rule will be gone
My argument is why didn't the union come out yesterday and be positive about the developments and saying it's not possible when it is.

Rois

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 19, 2020, 04:02:21 PM
Smurfy, I understand what you're saying, and I hate when all people put up is obstacles instead of trying to offer solutions instead.  Solutions will come, probably because they will scrap the social distancing of 1m by the time September comes.  But the numbers you're talking about are just not right.  If you had a single desk per child like in an exam hall, the desk and child would be 3ft wide and the space between 3ft.  So for 5 kids to fit in a row, you'd need 6x5 = 30ft. 
And for six rows you'd need the width of the desk (say 2ft), the width of the child and chair to sit at the desk (another 2ft) and 1 ft in between to get the full 3ft between the back of the child's chair and the next child sitting at their desk.  That's 6 rows x 5ft = 30. 
Arlene Foster said last night that an average classroom was c.540 sq ft.  Those calcs above would need 900 sq ft.

A teacher was on the radio this morning saying that she had the architect's plans in front of her, and couldn't work out how to get all the pupils into that room at 1m distance.

The tone of union reps is always going to sound moany to those of us not represented by them - that's their job.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Estimator on June 19, 2020, 04:12:59 PM
The Dept has produced some more documentation on this. Going by their own plans they are only getting 26 into a room.

https://www.education-ni.gov.uk/publications/northern-ireland-re-opening-school-guidance-new-school-day

Probably four kids in a class of 30 don't want to be there anyways so, find them first and let them school from home!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Estimator

Large number of schools will not be able to teach all pupils at one time - Weir
Education Minister Peter Weir
Education Minister Peter Weir Credit: Presseye
A large number of schools in Northern Ireland will not be able to return to full-capacity teaching in September, the Education Minister has said.

Peter Weir's comments come amid concern expressed by some school leaders at the suggestion from Stormont that most pupils will be returning to full-time education in the autumn.

Mr Weir said he anticipated that children would only return to the classroom on a part-time basis "in quite a large number of schools".

In a separate development, Mr Weir confirmed that the executive would be providing the £12 million required to continue financial support for families eligible for free school meals over the summer.

Arlene Foster announced schools will return with a 1m social distancing policy
Arlene Foster announced schools will return with a 1m social distancing policy Credit: PA
On Thursday, First Minister Arlene Foster said the powersharing executive's decision to reduce the social distancing measure to one metre for pupils would allow attendance patterns in schools to return to "close to normality".

On Friday, Mr Weir said the aim was to "maximise" the number of schools that could return to full-capacity teaching, but he acknowledged there would be a sizeable number for which that would prove an "impossibility".

The sooner we can get back to every child being in the classroom all the time getting full-time classroom... the sooner we are able to reach that point, the better for children, better for parents, and I think teachers are very much in favour of that

– PETER WEIR MLA, EDUCATION MINISTER
"But we're not quite there yet at this stage.

"The aim, therefore, at least at this point, is to maximise the amount of time that children will have in the classroom."

"The aim must be to get the absolute maximum.

"There will be some schools who would be able to, because of their surroundings, because of the numbers that are there, will effectively be able to return absolutely full time.

"For others that will clearly be a level of practical impossibility to do that all the time. But therefore we want to see where we can get the maximum amount within that."

Ministers have urged schools to utilise all the space at their disposal to allow them to accommodate the full school population and said where this is not possible they should seek to use nearby community facilities, such as church halls, GAA clubs or Orange Halls.

Principals have voice scepticism at Stormont's plans, insisting it will not be possible to fit all pupils into most schools in the region, even with the reduced social distancing measure.

Mr Weir suggested funding for substitute teachers would be made available if extra staff were required to teach classes set up outside orthodox classroom locations.

He said the community facilities could also be used for supervised learning if children were only able to attend school on certain days.

The minister also acknowledged there would be an issue around school bus transport in the autumn, given capacity limitations due to the virus.

"There's still a problem there that does need clearly resolved," he said.

NI Children's Commissioner Koulla Yiasouma
NI Children's Commissioner Koulla Yiasouma Credit: PA
Northern Ireland's Children's Commissioner Koulla Yiasouma said the safe and effective re-opening of schools would require a "Herculean effort".

She said she welcomed the announcement from Stormont but added: "We cannot under-estimate the work that needs to be completed before the maximum number of children can return as safely as possible, whilst understanding that 100% safety cannot be guaranteed only every possible measure taken."

While pupils will be required to keep one metre apart under Stormont's plans, the social distancing measure will remain at two metres for teachers.

Schools have been closed in Northern Ireland since March. The traditional summer term would normally finish at the end of June in the region.

Teachers will now return to school on 17 August. Key year groups - seven, 12 and 14 - will return a week later on 24 August.

The Department of Education intends that the rest of the school population will go back to class at the start of September.

All primary school children, and secondary school children in younger year groups, will have to remain in protective bubbles limited to their own classes when they return.
Ulster League Champions 2009

ONeill

Anything to be said for a strike?

Milltown Row2

Don't go on strike until that money comes in next week though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

What happens if one child or teacher tests positive in Sept or Oct?

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on June 19, 2020, 05:36:23 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 19, 2020, 05:25:25 PM
Don't go on strike until that money comes in next week though
I've heard recently that it won't be in this month's pay. From someone I would consider a good source, if there is such a thing.

Balls. I'd heard the opposite. Even booked a fella to clear a pile of conifers.

Wildweasel74

The numbers some people think you can get in classrooms is laughable, but You be lucky to get 15, and more likely 12.