Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 13, 2015, 02:50:24 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 13, 2015, 02:31:18 PM
Oh I know that. Muppets on slagging off someone like LVG about his "philosophy" not long ago. He's coaching royalty FFS. The games where United were playing really badly (according to some people) you could see they were retaining possession really well (dominating it in fact). The progress has been slow but there to see for anyone who actually watched. Trouble is too many comment after reading a score and a headline only.

Progress has been slow and very gradual but I do think the injury to RVP helped. I was astounded that Herrera wasn't starting earlier on in the season, he was dropped after one average performance. I've been saying it for 2 years, RVP & Rooney can't play in the same team.

I still think we're in for a nervy last few games if we pick up any less than 4 points against Chelsea & Everton. 10 points required from the remaining 6 games to guarantee top 4 unless Liverpool start winning every game 3-0.

I like to think that LVG was coming to the opinion that RVP was done before his injury buy yeah, point taken. The Herrera one was a real head scratcher - I don't really remember the lad having a bad game. His passing, workrate and movement are brilliant.

Rooney was poor again against citeh. He needed a kick up the hole but to be fair to him DeMichelis did it and got away with it. They were fierce lucky to end with 11, Kompany and Clichy especially. 

magpie seanie

Quote from: ballinaman on April 13, 2015, 02:59:56 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 13, 2015, 02:36:27 PM

PS. I enjoyed the "Manchester is Red" nonsense from the lads on Facebook who had been missing most of the season. . . yeah it's not so much seeing as City are still the Champions!! I imagine they'll get a new manager in shortly after the seasons over (Ancelotti) and start assembling another squad of younger superstars!

That Manchester is red stuff is cringe unless they are actually from Manchester where I'd say you could give them the benefit of the doubt...barely though!!
It'll be either Ancelotti or Benitez I reckon at City next year. They'll find it hard to splash the cash ridiculously like previous years due to FFP. Not that I care obviously, don't rate them as a club as I've said before. Liverpool catching them for 4th would actually be hilarious just to see the meltdown there.

It would be a serious kick in the hole and could have serious implications for them. They're in trouble with FFP already but without CL income and having to overhaul an aging squad, pay off another manager.....

Either way it's all good so long as United are back in it.

GJL

Quote from: ballinaman on April 13, 2015, 02:59:56 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 13, 2015, 02:36:27 PM

PS. I enjoyed the "Manchester is Red" nonsense from the lads on Facebook who had been missing most of the season. . . yeah it's not so much seeing as City are still the Champions!! I imagine they'll get a new manager in shortly after the seasons over (Ancelotti) and start assembling another squad of younger superstars!

That Manchester is red stuff is cringe unless they are actually from Manchester where I'd say you could give them the benefit of the doubt...barely though!!
It'll be either Ancelotti or Benitez I reckon at City next year. They'll find it hard to splash the cash ridiculously like previous years due to FFP. Not that I care obviously, don't rate them as a club as I've said before. Liverpool catching them for 4th would actually be hilarious just to see the meltdown there.

Southamton would be better. Double meltdown ;)

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2015, 11:04:03 AM
So now I'm confused. Is Van Gaal still a spoofer and a bluffer, or is he now the messiah again?

Its a bit like the benny rodgers situation the liverpool fans deal with isn't it!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

Quote from: stew on April 13, 2015, 03:13:37 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2015, 11:04:03 AM
So now I'm confused. Is Van Gaal still a spoofer and a bluffer, or is he now the messiah again?

Its a bit like the benny rodgers situation the liverpool fans deal with isn't it!

Exactly the same. Drives me up the wall.

J70

Quote from: Boycey on April 13, 2015, 02:51:55 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2015, 02:21:19 PM
Yep, wasn't a dig at you. It's important in this day and age to keep the long view in mind.

Its hard to expect guys on internet forums and social media to keep perspective when a fair share of "experts" in the media don't?? Viewed in hindsight a lot of what is said is laughable and I'm not just talking about United, I'm talking in general.

Paul Merson, Charlie Nicholas, Stan Collymore, Robbie Savage I could go on!!!!

Its the same in all sports punditry though.

The last game or two are all that matter. After the New England Patriots were hammered by Kansas City last autumn, the big discussion on ESPN and the rest of the American sports talking heads was whether Brady and Bellichek were finished. After that they only lost two more games (one, at the Bills, on the last day when it didn't matter) and won the Superbowl! You see the same with the hysteria over the blanket defenses in football. The country lost its collective mind after the Dublin Derry game, when, in reality, except for the Donegal v Monaghan match, how many more really shit defensive games were there in Division 1 out of the 28 or whatever matches? Last season, after Dublin lost to Donegal, the Dublin cavalier, gung-ho tactics that had been thrilling all and sundry all summer and had many predicting the second coming of Micko's Kerry in terms of dominance and repeats were suddenly naive and foolish.

At least some of the American sports media admit now and again that their coverage is knee-jerk and sensationalist, especially on radio with 24 hours to fill and outraged half-wits with no sense of perspective needed for the phone-in shows.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 13, 2015, 03:04:09 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 13, 2015, 02:50:24 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 13, 2015, 02:31:18 PM
Oh I know that. Muppets on slagging off someone like LVG about his "philosophy" not long ago. He's coaching royalty FFS. The games where United were playing really badly (according to some people) you could see they were retaining possession really well (dominating it in fact). The progress has been slow but there to see for anyone who actually watched. Trouble is too many comment after reading a score and a headline only.

Progress has been slow and very gradual but I do think the injury to RVP helped. I was astounded that Herrera wasn't starting earlier on in the season, he was dropped after one average performance. I've been saying it for 2 years, RVP & Rooney can't play in the same team.

I still think we're in for a nervy last few games if we pick up any less than 4 points against Chelsea & Everton. 10 points required from the remaining 6 games to guarantee top 4 unless Liverpool start winning every game 3-0.

I like to think that LVG was coming to the opinion that RVP was done before his injury buy yeah, point taken. The Herrera one was a real head scratcher - I don't really remember the lad having a bad game. His passing, workrate and movement are brilliant.

Rooney was poor again against citeh. He needed a kick up the hole but to be fair to him DeMichelis did it and got away with it. They were fierce lucky to end with 11, Kompany and Clichy especially.

Not a fan of Rooney, getting far too much praise for our recent run. Had 3 below average games apart from a goal against Villa and in particular was woeful against Liverpool, never gets any criticism from Sky mainly because of Gary Neville.

magpie seanie

Being Eng-er-lund captain brings a bit of immunity.

Boycey

I've not noticed a lot of praise for Rooney on the current run to be honest?

Not a huge admirer of his ever since he tried to force a transfer but he's by far Uniteds best attacking option at present and the most likely of the 3 to be still in situ next year.

On strikers there's rumbling on Twitter today of United seeking permission from Burnley to speak to Danny Ings? Worth a punt?

beer baron

Quote from: Boycey on April 13, 2015, 06:44:39 PM

Not a huge admirer of his ever since he tried to force a transfer but he's by far Uniteds best attacking option at present and the most likely of the 3 to be still in situ next year.

On strikers there's rumbling on Twitter today of United seeking permission from Burnley to speak to Danny Ings? Worth a punt?

Worth a punt if he's a reasonable price and is being purchased in view to being a squad player or future 1st teamer, not worth a punt if he's overpriced and our main target

Boycey

Quote from: beer baron on April 13, 2015, 06:56:42 PM

Worth a punt if he's a reasonable price and is being purchased in view to being a squad player or future 1st teamer, not worth a punt if he's overpriced and our main target
He's out of contract in the Summer but cause of his age, 22 I think, Burnley will be due compensation. Probably will only want 50-60k a week, only  ;D. I seen him linked with other clubs including Liverpool too.   

The thought appears to be that Burnley will try and broker a deal with some club pre-summer rather than go to a trbunal where they mightn't do as well..

ballinaman

Quote from: Boycey on April 13, 2015, 07:15:46 PM
Quote from: beer baron on April 13, 2015, 06:56:42 PM

He's out of contract in the Summer but cause of his age, 22 I think, Burnley will be due compensation. Probably will only want 50-60k a week, only  ;D. I seen him linked with other clubs including Liverpool too.   

The thought appears to be that Burnley will try and broker a deal with some club pre-summer rather than go to a trbunal where they mightn't do as well..
When is the "home grown player" quota due to kick in....might be part of United thinking too.

heganboy

Quote from: David McKeown on April 12, 2015, 11:45:32 PM

Those definitions are both from the FIFA guidelines on the laws of the game and were repeated by the FA a few years back after the Jonny Evans og when Ba was behind him. Distracting an opponent when in an offside position does not render you offside. The distraction must prevent the opponent playing the ball or being able to play the ball.

Interesting David! Always a good man to go to for the letter of the law!

so the youngster was saying that when the ball is being crossed by Mata, Hart moves towards Rooney and then belatedly back over towards Fallaini. He says that makes him offside but your definition would seem that he was wrong (I'll enjoy this)
Am I right then in saying, that for the ref to give offside Rooney would actually have to actively prevent Hart being able to play the ball, and that the for want of a better word  any "distraction" caused by Rooney would not even come close to meeting that criterion?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

GJL

magpie seanie

Chelsea's next two games are home to United and away to Arsenal. Is it possible they lose both? I think it is possible. That would leave things a little more interesting. Arsenal currently 25/1 and United 33/1. I know it's highly unlikely but is it THAT unlikely?