Brexit - Good or bad or wha?

Started by muppet, April 20, 2015, 08:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Sounds like an Aldi version of Wheetabix.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

T Fearon

Never happen.Big businesses in UK know what side their bread's buttered on.Biggest laugh is the unionist parties all pretending to be in favour of brexit (they would crap themselves if it happened and all the peace money disappeared) and equally funny is Sinn Fein's new found love of the EU,presumably just to capture the community sector and farming votes! ;D

heganboy

i thought as its a leap year and the moon is in aquarius I should take advantage of the opportunity to agree with Tony- well at least not in the next 20 years. (never is a lot longer than I'm comfortable with)
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

muppet

I think it is dangerous to ask the people such an important question. In that regard, if they actually vote to leave the EU, I suspect they will have to vote again. And again until they vote correctly.

I look forward to Cameron explaining that one.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Not going to happen. It will be like the Scottish independence referendum, only more so, in that there will be an appeal to the heart but many people will not vote for the uncertainty involved on the day. Much of the argument will be shown to be bollix by any campaign. The timing is too late, the Eurozone will be in reasonable shape by then and the UK will not be any better than anyone else. Ireland will not provide a helpful example, growing at twice the rate of the UK with falling unemployment and increasing public expenditure.

QuoteSounds like an Aldi version of Wheetabix.

The Aldi version of Weetabix is a product that I am very partial to.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Couldn't see them doing something that stupid myself. I'd say once the campaign gets underway the "better together" crowd will be able to articulate their case and they'll have big business money behind them.

seafoid

Dangerous, ill conceived and likely to be destabilising
the Scots like Europe. they would go. Trade wise won't be very positive.Currency instability likely.
And all to appease right wing Tories.

Also would not be good for the RoI.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Shamrock Shore

Lads

Think of the duty free flying over and back to London/Manchester/Glasgow for ye plastics flying from ROI if they exit EU.

LeoMc

Think of the tailbacks at Aughnacloy as they check passports to weed out Poles / Romanians or whatever group makes up the next bogie man in the daily mail.

seafoid

You wouldn't know. Norn Iron might be collateral damage. Brexit would reawaken small minded English nationalism. The UK is not perfect but it supports a lot of peripheral spending. The Tories have a scab called Europe that they can't stop scratching. The issue has dogged them for over a generation. Asking people to vote on it is a sign of panic. But maybe the UK is no longer fit for purpose.
If NI was cast adrift which counties should the RoI annex?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

cuconnacht

Quote from: LeoMc on April 21, 2015, 10:03:46 AM
Think of the tailbacks at Aughnacloy as they check passports to weed out Poles / Romanians or whatever group makes up the next bogie man in the daily mail.

The only obvious route and method of smuggling Sam back into omagh for the next cupla years ;)

easytiger95

i would classify myself as pro-europe, but given the behaviour of the ECB over the past few years, as evidenced by Chopra recently, would make it difficult to sustain that position. As for the Brits, they have completely entwined their domestic policies with their stance on Europe, so you have the situation late last year of Cameron arguing (and succeeding) to withdraw funding for search and rescue in the Med, whilst playing the immigration card at home. With predictable and tragic results.

If they don't want to be in, their opposition to EU policies actually inverts Lyndon B. Johnson's phrase - they're actually inside the tent, p#@*ing in. I think they should go rather than cause more trouble for the Union. In general, I think it is going to take a Brexit or a Grexit to get the impetus for reform to make the EU more accountable and responsive to the populations.

LeoMc

Quote from: cuconnacht on April 21, 2015, 12:07:11 PM

The only obvious route and method of smuggling Sam back into omagh for the next cupla years ;)

We would take Sam up via Newtownbutler. No one would ever think to look for it in Fermanagh.

cuconnacht

Quote from: LeoMc on April 21, 2015, 12:50:08 PM
Quote from: cuconnacht on April 21, 2015, 12:07:11 PM

We would take Sam up via Newtownbutler. No one would ever think to look for it in Fermanagh.

"Infallibilis militarium" a Leo,straight out of yere own Owen Roes school that one ;D