The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

That was as spineless and timid a performance as the first half against United. At least against United they showed a bit of balls in the second, even if they were outclassed over the 90 minutes. Balotelli is brainless, but at least he showed for the ball and looked up for it, albeit AFTER he pulled out of a header when the keeper challenged (he was offside, but did he know that?). Most of the rest of them didn't want to know, especially in midfield, where Delph, Grealish and even Tom f**king Cleverley completely outfought them. How many times did Liverpool lose the ball in midfield today? Sterling was a disgrace, Gerrard and Henderson completely anonymous. Rodgers did not have a good game on the line either.

rrhf

Liverpool in talks with oneill and Keane.   You heard it  here first.

StGallsGAA

Sterling can smoke hippy-crack til his heart's content now that his season is over!  😤

tiempo

Quote from: An Watcher on April 19, 2015, 09:22:00 PM
I really doubt if anyone could take this Liverpool team further than Rodgers. Reminds me of the villa fans calling for oneills head a few years back after he had them in the top 6 three years running. Last year was a freak year due to suarez.

Despite some of Rodgers poo poo moments i couldn't disagree with that comment, they're gonna have to improve another level or two again for next year, more in line with last year and having marquee players goes a long way to achieving that. I can't see them attracting the biggest names in which case he will have to box clever and get very good value out of the market, can't see them being free spending in the mould of Chelsea and City, it's a huge challenge for BR next season

From the Bunker

Quote from: T Fearon on April 19, 2015, 09:35:30 PM
Liverpool are a small club with small resources.They will not attract a top manager,though Rodgers will be sacrificed for Benitez to appease the fans,most likely

They have just turned into another version of Spurs really?

Armamike

Poor performance.  Too many players didn't want to know.  Very flat response to losing the second goal which doesn't really bode well. Seems like the season will fizzle out with missing out on fourth. Hard to see City or Man u let it slip.   Liverpool have had a flawed transfer policy under Rodgers that's seen an overemphasis on light technical players over physique and power. There's an absence of leadership in that side with nobody willing  or able to take control of the game, get on the ball and get the team back into the game.
That's just, like your opinion man.

supersub

Quote from: Armamike on April 19, 2015, 10:46:44 PM
Poor performance.  Too many players didn't want to know.  Very flat response to losing the second goal which doesn't really bode well. Seems like the season will fizzle out with missing out on fourth. Hard to see City or Man u let it slip.   Liverpool have had a flawed transfer policy under Rodgers that's seen an overemphasis on light technical players over physique and power. There's an absence of leadership in that side with nobody willing  or able to take control of the game, get on the ball and get the team back into the game.

As has been stated before there is more than Rodgers having his say when it comes to transfers.

ballinaman

Klopp looking at the yellow wall in Dortmund......it'll be the kop next year me thinks!

Minder

Quote from: ballinaman on April 19, 2015, 11:01:20 PM
Klopp looking at the yellow wall in Dortmund......it'll be the kop next year me thinks!

Fingers crossed
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

heganboy

Quote from: tiempo on April 19, 2015, 10:34:29 PM
I can't see them attracting the biggest names in which case he will have to box clever and get very good value out of the market, can't see them being free spending in the mould of Chelsea and City, it's a huge challenge for BR next season

I have to agree with this Tiempo. The funding is simply not there to compete, neither from match day gates nor from the sponsorship deals that are in place. BR is one voice of many in the transfer dealings of the club and despite some remarkable successes, the club has not been able to keep the big name players are moving on, and often without the big fees (suarez aside) that would be needed to put the club on a stronger footing in the transfer market. Either FSG dips into the reserves to fund a couple of high profile names this summer, or Liverpool get lucky and the lack of European football plays into their hands again next year. However last years turmoil at other clubs in unlikely to be repeated. Arsenal and Chelsea should have a stable summer, or some improvement. United and City are expected to pull out the check books and it will be interesting to see how quickly their new squads bed down. Would take a strong improvement in the current squads performance to trouble any of the top 4 teams over the course of a season. There does seem to be a certain spark missing, and the big game temperament that Liverpool for which were famous for many years is no longer there.

I don't feel that any change in management of the senior team alone will have any positive impact on that situation. If there were a change in the investment allied to a "big name" manager, it is possible that a short sharp shock to current players may lift their performance over the next season, that would be an expensive bet by FSG, and not really their SOP.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: heganboy on April 19, 2015, 11:15:55 PM
I can't see them attracting the biggest names in which case he will have to box clever and get very good value out of the market, can't see them being free spending in the mould of Chelsea and City, it's a huge challenge for BR next season

I have to agree with this Tiempo. The funding is simply not there to compete, neither from match day gates nor from the sponsorship deals that are in place. BR is one voice of many in the transfer dealings of the club and despite some remarkable successes, the club has not been able to keep the big name players are moving on, and often without the big fees (suarez aside) that would be needed to put the club on a stronger footing in the transfer market. Either FSG dips into the reserves to fund a couple of high profile names this summer, or Liverpool get lucky and the lack of European football plays into their hands again next year. However last years turmoil at other clubs in unlikely to be repeated. Arsenal and Chelsea should have a stable summer, or some improvement. United and City are expected to pull out the check books and it will be interesting to see how quickly their new squads bed down. Would take a strong improvement in the current squads performance to trouble any of the top 4 teams over the course of a season. There does seem to be a certain spark missing, and the big game temperament that Liverpool for which were famous for many years is no longer there.

I don't feel that any change in management of the senior team alone will have any positive impact on that situation. If there were a change in the investment allied to a "big name" manager, it is possible that a short sharp shock to current players may lift their performance over the next season, that would be an expensive bet by FSG, and not really their SOP.

While I agree with that I do feel that there has to be a see change in some things.  BR was caught out badly yesterday in terms of tactics.  Emre Can should have been moved to MF much earlier.  Even at RB he was trying to drive things on but he is not  RB.  SG unfortunately is a liability for the team and as much as it saddens me to say it the sooner he's gone the better.  I also feel that the 'England' cadre is having a lot of undue bad influence but hopefully that will end when SG goes.  The reality is that there will be a clear out of 4-5 players this summer and they will need to be replaced in terms of squad and first team.  The removal of a number of big earners off the wage bill will allow a bit more latitude in terms of who can be attracted but there will be problems bringing them in without Europe if they don't make it.  In my opinion BR should simply go for broke in the last run of league games and go flat out without the likes of SG and Johnson anywhere near the team.  If Balo is not going to be part of things then leave him on the bench.  Leave DS in the  treatment room until he is fully fit and not let him near the England setup.  Just grab the thing by the balls and go for it and lets see what the young lads are made of.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 20, 2015, 09:16:09 AM
Quote from: heganboy on April 19, 2015, 11:15:55 PM

While I agree with that I do feel that there has to be a see change in some things.  BR was caught out badly yesterday in terms of tactics.  Emre Can should have been moved to MF much earlier.  Even at RB he was trying to drive things on but he is not  RB.  SG unfortunately is a liability for the team and as much as it saddens me to say it the sooner he's gone the better.  I also feel that the 'England' cadre is having a lot of undue bad influence but hopefully that will end when SG goes.  The reality is that there will be a clear out of 4-5 players this summer and they will need to be replaced in terms of squad and first team.  The removal of a number of big earners off the wage bill will allow a bit more latitude in terms of who can be attracted but there will be problems bringing them in without Europe if they don't make it.  In my opinion BR should simply go for broke in the last run of league games and go flat out without the likes of SG and Johnson anywhere near the team.  If Balo is not going to be part of things then leave him on the bench.  Leave DS in the  treatment room until he is fully fit and not let him near the England setup.  Just grab the thing by the balls and go for it and lets see what the young lads are made of.

Tend to agree with that BC1

I would like to see Can get a  run of games now to the end of the season at CM and see if he has what it takes to provide the drive for the team along with henderson and lucas holding behind them.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

naka

Liverpool are a small club with small resources.They will not attract a top manager,though Rodgers will be sacrificed for Benitez to appease the fans,most likely
personally think benitez is a top top manager who if he had the resources of BR would have moulded a far better side

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: naka on April 20, 2015, 09:25:18 AM
personally think benitez is a top top manager who if he had the resources of BR would have moulded a far better side

I would agree with this.  I hope Napoli win the EL as he will have taken them as far as he can by doing so and he may be ready for a change.  While I am happy for BR to stay on I think if Rafa was available and FSG were willing he would be a step up.  Maybe with the old guard gone in the summer then BR will be better placed to run things his way.

Walter Cronc

Can Pool fans explain how their transfers work?

Does Rodgers identify the player and the FSG sanction it or do the FSG come to Rodgers with a list based on the 'moneyball theory'?