8 (9.9%)
Sligo
9 (11.1%)
Leitrim
7 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 81

larryin89

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 27, 2015, 07:24:25 PM
larryin, do you not think that Mayo were at full tilt against Roscommon last year, when they came from 3 points down to win by a point?

Thanks for responding in a normal fashion  and without accusing me of being someone else .

For that period we stepped up but at no way was it the same intensity as our games v Kerry.

Our league form was poor but we survived and could of even ended up in the shake up bar a late goal from cork to steal the points and a last min leveler for Donegal to steal a draw. Roscommon had a very good league campaign obviously as they won it but then again Galway got a victory in the Hyde when they had a full deck with corofin bucks back . It's all pretty yoyo in the league , look at the state of Kerry when we beat them in Killarney for example.

On paper Connacht  looks tighter and that's the feeling amongst most but I'm not buying into the whole Mayo are going backwards at least not that much .

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

An Fhairche Abu

Voted Mayo, they will still have too much for Galway and Roscommon this year I think, the All Ireland series will tell whether Mayo remain in the top four teams at the very top with a shout of winning Sam or if they are heading back towards the pack after a great run the past few years under Horan.

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on April 27, 2015, 07:51:21 PM
larryin, do you not think that Mayo were at full tilt against Roscommon last year, when they came from 3 points down to win by a point?

Thanks for responding in a normal fashion  and without accusing me of being someone else .

For that period we stepped up but at no way was it the same intensity as our games v Kerry.

Our league form was poor but we survived and could of even ended up in the shake up bar a late goal from cork to steal the points and a last min leveler for Donegal to steal a draw. Roscommon had a very good league campaign obviously as they won it but then again Galway got a victory in the Hyde when they had a full deck with corofin bucks back . It's all pretty yoyo in the league , look at the state of Kerry when we beat them in Killarney for example.

On paper Connacht  looks tighter and that's the feeling amongst most but I'm not buying into the whole Mayo are going backwards at least not that much .

Horan last year played for the guts of 50 minutes with two Rookies Diarmuid O'Connor and Conor O'Shea in the half forward line. The two were out of their debt (at the time). In effect we had no half forward line bar Doherty for the Guts of the game. Mayo you would expect won't go into a game against Roscommon or Galway with this level of experimentation this year.

Blowitupref

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 27, 2015, 09:20:20 PM

Horan last year played for the guts of 50 minutes with two Rookies Diarmuid O'Connor and Conor O'Shea in the half forward line. The two were out of their debt (at the time). In effect we had no half forward line bar Doherty for the Guts of the game. Mayo you would expect won't go into a game against Roscommon or Galway with this level of experimentation this year.
Didn't O Connor play in a few league games and started against New York before that Roscommon game? He is a likely starter this June. What has happened to Conor O Shea since that game injured or not given game time?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

From the Bunker

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 27, 2015, 10:39:06 PM

Didn't O Connor play in a few league games and started against New York before that Roscommon game? He is a likely starter this June. What has happened to Conor O Shea since that game injured or not given game time?
Conor is not good enough (at the moment) injured or not injured. Diarmuid has come on in the year! Both are still rather young so I don't want to be harsh on them. The point was Horan chanced his arm last year by throwing them in the deep end for the guts of an hour. Hoping to unearth something (why not?). Anyway it nearly backfired.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 27, 2015, 11:15:53 PM

Conor is not good enough (at the moment) injured or not injured. Diarmuid has come on in the year! Both are still rather young so I don't want to be harsh on them. The point was Horan chanced his arm last year by throwing them in the deep end for the guts of an hour. Hoping to unearth something (why not?). Anyway it nearly backfired.

In fairness it was your usually excellent HB being totally stuffed that make a game of it. Had little to do with the half-forwards play, good bad or indifferent. Indeed much of the Mayo team were just as anonymous as DO'C and CO'S that day.

We highlighted deficiencies in Mayo's game that Kerry exploited later on in the championship, there was alot of continuty in terms of that game and what ultimately ended Horan's reign. If we'd used Kilbride as Star was used we'd probably have been out of sight of any Andy Moran-inspired heroics that day.

larryin89

That's fair enough syf , be no bother to Ye this year if we did happen to beat Galway then.  At least we know why Kerry beat us now,  they got advice from Roscommon .

As a matter of interest though what deficiencies in Mayo did Roscommon highlight . Game is a bit of a blur for me was at a wedding in achill the night before.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

Correct - both of you I think!
Horan really pushed the boat out that day and just about got away with it. O Connor the Younger may well start this summer. Conor played well last Sunday for Breaffy and has time on his side.
Maybe it's wishful thinking but maybe this new Mayo management might just coax/ goad/ bully a summer out of this panel. Not an old team but experienced beyond its years. Hardly a bad thing. Players that had influence in Horan's time may not have same leeway now. That might not be a bad thing.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on April 27, 2015, 11:26:51 PM

In fairness it was your usually excellent HB being totally stuffed that make a game of it. Had little to do with the half-forwards play, good bad or indifferent. Indeed much of the Mayo team were just as anonymous as DO'C and CO'S that day.

We highlighted deficiencies in Mayo's game that Kerry exploited later on in the championship, there was alot of continuty in terms of that game and what ultimately ended Horan's reign. If we'd used Kilbride as Star was usede we'd probably have been out of sight of any Andy Moran-inspired heroics that day.

With respect, what are ye on about there Sy?
Stop comparing yourself to Kerry until ye actually play them and beat them an odd time. Comparing Senan to Star is a joke. Mayo won some games in Connacht under Horan in second gear and those were close. The ones we were flying for we killed teams. It remains to be seen what happens this year. This management can't afford to lose early - the Dublin game has fucked them up with players and supporters. I expect to see a wounded and thick Mayo with a bit of old savvy thrown in. There's a lot of ambition and confidence in that team still. Probably not enough tactical stuff for Aug/Sept, but if Galway or Roscommon turn us over, they ll earn it.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on April 28, 2015, 12:05:59 AM

We highlighted deficiencies in Mayo's game that Kerry exploited later on in the championship, there was alot of continuty in terms of that game and what ultimately ended Horan's reign. If we'd used Kilbride as Star was usede we'd probably have been out of sight of any Andy Moran-inspired heroics that day.

Stop comparing yourself to Kerry until ye actually play them and beat them an odd time. Comparing Senan to Star is a joke. Mayo won some games in Connacht under Horan in second gear and those were close. The ones we were flying for we killed teams. It remains to be seen what happens this year. This management can't afford to lose early - the Dublin game has fucked them up with players and supporters. I expect to see a wounded and thick Mayo with a bit of old savvy thrown in. There's a lot of ambition and confidence in that team still. Probably not enough tactical stuff for Aug/Sept, but if Galway or Roscommon turn us over, they ll earn it.

I agree. I felt dirty just comparing the two. Star has never been much of a footballer.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on April 28, 2015, 12:11:16 AM

I agree. I felt dirty just comparing the two. Star has never been much of a footballer.

Some day before he retires, Roscommon might have to cope with him in a game that matters.

sligoman2

Being massive underdogs is where we want to be.  We have been known to topple the Rossies a few times when no one gives us a chance. Obviously a big hill to climb but you never know.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Shrewdness

Sligoman2, not many people in Ros are looking beyond the Sligo game. As i said in an earlier post, it's a potential banana skin for Ros if we start looking too far ahead of ourselves. No doubt, John Evans will reference Sligo's big win over Armagh as an indication of how Sligo can play.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 28, 2015, 07:27:27 AM
Sligoman2, not many people in Ros are looking beyond the Sligo game. As i said in an earlier post, it's a potential banana skin for Ros if we start looking too far ahead of ourselves. No doubt, John Evans will reference Sligo's big win over Armagh as an indication of how Sligo can play.

In fairness that was against the Armagh reserves. I can't remember a time we took Sligo lightly. I can remember a time Sligo took us lightly, though..

Quote from: moysider on April 28, 2015, 12:45:30 AM
Quote from: Syferus on April 28, 2015, 12:11:16 AM

Some day before he retires, Roscommon might have to cope with him in a game that matters.

I'd be alot more worried about Gooch or JO'D. Star is a big guy on a good team. The other two are players who have incredible football ability and are far more versatile threats. If you can stop Star's one trick - and people were doing just fine doing that for three or four seasons until your lads re-energised a career that would now be over otherwise - you'll be just fine.

Mano

Quote from: Syferus on April 28, 2015, 09:49:56 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on April 28, 2015, 07:27:27 AM

In fairness that was against the Armagh reserves. I can't remember a time we took Sligo lightly. I can remember a time Sligo took us lightly, though..
You probably are not old enough for 1981. ye were about 8 points up in 2007 early in the second half when ye thought the game was won