Connacht SFC Championship

Started by Dinny Breen, April 23, 2007, 09:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Now that the league is over who is going to win it?

Leitrim
Mayo
Sligo
Galway
Roscommon
New York
London

The Real Laoislad

Galway

You'll Never Walk Alone.

SLIGONIAN

I would say anyone who predicts Ros to beat us is fair enough considering how the league went. In the back of mind Doohan and McGarty didnt figure in the league so expect a more physical and fitter sligo come june. So hard to predict the future but I have a feeling the rossies have there eye on the connaught final which plays into ourr hands. Could suprise them.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Shrewdness

Sligonian, never mind trying to surprise Roscommon. Ye have to overcome New York first of all, and it might be ye who will get the surprise there.

SLIGONIAN

So I guess yere preparing for the NY game yerselves then. Is it possible that NY could beat us? I think the connaght council might have something to say. Apparantenetly Letrim would of been beat out there only for the ref carried them through so Leitrim fans tell me. Wonder why loss of revenue and sure half there team wouldnt be able to travel.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

QuoteSo I guess yere preparing for the NY game yerselves then. Is it possible that NY could beat us? I think the connaght council might have something to say. Apparantenetly Letrim would of been beat out there only for the ref carried them through so Leitrim fans tell me. Wonder why loss of revenue and sure half there team wouldnt be able to travel.

Explains why Sligo usually lose to Mayo and Galway....

Rossie11

Thought Mayo were bankers 2 months ago and would have tipped Sligo to provide opposition in final.
Not so sure now, especially on the Mayo side. They have looked poor recently and seemed shapeless in the forwards.
Only the Rossie  :P  Andy Moran was up to scratch Sunday. Badly need Dave Brady and Trev Mortimer back.
In a close game which Mayo/Galway will always be the tribesmen might have the edge as they will have the forwards to sneak it. They threw the league semi away and werent helped by a dodgy peno. Its a tough call but as game approaches its looking more like Galway can do it at home.

Sligo/Ross is another 50/50 call. We are improving but I cannot get that 2nd half league performance V Leitrim out of my head. Poor  management decision making and lacked leadership on the pitch when chips were down.
If Sligo get stuck in ala Leitrim (hard but fair I have to add) always do against us its a game they should be confident of winning. If Oneill is out then its Sligos to lose..

baoithe

I think there's feck all between Roscommon and Sligo. Whilst it seems the victory in Croker last Saturday was well earned and deserved I can't help but conclude that Cavan took Roscommon a little bit for granted and had no contingency plan to deal with the roasting they got at midfield. As you say Rossie11 I expect Sligo to get stuck into Roscommon especially in the middle of the field. Sligo know what the Roscommon pairing are capable of when on-song and I just hope to god they have a strategy to deal with them. The first half of the game in the Hyde in 2004 was a disaster for us. We were killed in midfield early on and the supply into Mannion was limitless. Wasn't it Naughton that Mannion ran ragged? Anyway, the replay was a different game and McGuire seemed to deal with Mannion fairly well. I'm going to miss the game (assuming we beat New York - dear Jesus we better) due to a stag party but I'm holding out for a Sligo win so that we can get a pop at Mayo in the final.
Of course only a fool would back Sligo to win Connacht this year but that doesn't stop us dreaming and, for me, to beat Mayo in a Connacht final would be as good as it gets.