Connacht SFC Championship

Started by Dinny Breen, April 23, 2007, 09:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Now that the league is over who is going to win it?

Leitrim
Mayo
Sligo
Galway
Roscommon
New York
London

Dinny Breen

One rule and one rule only you can't vote for your own county....
#newbridgeornowhere

ildanach

i think it boils down to may 20th, whoever wins this one will win it.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

OirthearMhaigheo

yeah 5times, we've had terrible trouble picking up Connachts over the years!!
Not much between Mayo and Galway, really tough to call, Ross are coming into some form now so they could be dark horses but if we have a few players back by the Galway game I'm gonna go for Mayo to carry on and win Connacht outright. If we start with yesterdays team on May 20th then Galway could prob take us and then go on and win the title after struggling past Ross.

Msgr. Horan

After the Galway semi final I would have said Galway, as there was some alarming things wrong in the Mayo midfield and backline. midfield seems to have improved somewhat, and I thought Donegal were going to make hay there yesterday. Mayo half backline still seems to be a problem defensively.
Very hard to call, Pearse Stadium will be a big plus for Galway, Mayo seniors have a bad record there over the years. Alot will depend on the personnel and who is back for both teams.  I wouldnt be surprised if its a draw with Mayo to win the return leg in McHale park.
The rule about not being able to vote for your own county is a bit daft if your able to make an arguement as to why you think they'll win.

stephenite

Mayo will need to have at least two of the missing big names back for the Pearse Stadium clash - with McGarrity and McDonald definite non-starters it is imperative that David Brady and Trevor Mortimer are back, and firing on all cylinders.
BJP has been impressive at CHB, but still not sure that he can cut it there in the white heat of Championship football, terrible shame as his ability to play anywhere could be his own downfall unfortunately. I'd see DB and Pat Harte in Midfield with Heaney slotting back to No. 6, Trevor Mort to play on the edge of the square.

Do I have to pick Leitrim, even if I think it will be Mayo? :-[

Turlough O Carolan

I'd have said Mayo easily a couple of months ago but they have not looked that impressive in the last two games. They could have won yesterday if  Moran put away that goal chance but behind the scoreline they got a few very handy frees that kept them in touch. Seems to be very little sparkle in the forward line save for Andy Moran who won every ball that came his way yesterday. Add to that a suspect midfield and fullback line and if not in Connacht, they'll be caught out at some stage. But if they beat Galway they still have enough for Sligo or Roscommon as I believe that game would be in Castlebar. But Galway I think will beat Mayo and be ran close by Sligo or Roscommon. Both Sligo and Leitrim will get it tight enough themselves oversees and I predict a shock in at least one of these games, with London the more likely to cause a surprise. Has the makings of a very interesting Connacht Championship. A hesitant vote for Galway - Johno will certainly have an article any of these days making them overwhelming favourites.

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteA hesitant vote for Galway - Johno will certainly have an article any of these days making them overwhelming favourites.

No doubt. ;D

Tatler Jack

QuoteA hesitant vote for Galway - Johno will certainly have an article any of these days making them overwhelming favourites

He will just have to pull out a few old articles - change Mayo to Galway on the word processor and the job is done. :D

Owenmoresider

Hard to know how Connacht will go, Galway/Mayo will be the likely decider but both sides aren't unbeatable, Mayo probably have room for improvement though and should advance. Ros v Sligo (provided we escape from New York's version of Duck Park) will be a tight onw too, the Rossies are on a roll at the moment but we might catch them out, haven't won in the Hyde since 1971 though. As it is a Mayo-Ros final is likely, and Mayo to get over the line.

Tatler Jack

Quotehaven't won in the Hyde since 1971 though.

That was the day the Hyde was opened. Ye have thrown away a couple since there - 98 and was it 2003 when it was a draw and we won replay

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Tatler Jack on April 23, 2007, 02:47:02 PM
Quotehaven't won in the Hyde since 1971 though.

That was the day the Hyde was opened. Ye have thrown away a couple since there - 98 and was it 2003 when it was a draw and we won replay
2004 actually, the replay in the Park was some evening's entertainment, but a tough defeat to take. Not as tough as that '98 semi though, the Rossies streaming out, seven points up and Mickey fucked it up. Took a trimming there too in the late 80's IIRC.

Tatler Jack

Yes it was 2004. Whatever about the replay it was there for Sligo to win the first day in the Hyde with 10 mins to go but they did not take it. It will  be close this year - predicted at start of the year a Mayo/Sligo CF and will stick with that. Ye owe them a few too!!

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Tatler Jack on April 23, 2007, 02:58:44 PM
Yes it was 2004. Whatever about the replay it was there for Sligo to win the first day in the Hyde with 10 mins to go but they did not take it.

Thought it a very even affair myself from memory, was little enough between the teams. Davey of all people kicked the equaliser that day too.

Quote from: Tatler Jack on April 23, 2007, 02:58:44 PMpredicted at start of the year a Mayo/Sligo CF and will stick with that. Ye owe them a few too!!
You can say that again!

Farrandeelin

Like Turlough O Carolan said Mayo haven't looked impressive in their last 2 games and may be caught out by Galway who will be reeling after losing two games in a row to Mayo. We haven't had a good record in Galway either. I still fancy the winners of that game to win Connacht, but I think Roscommon could give them a very close run in the final. I can't see Sligo beating Ros but you never know on the day.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Redgreenery

I wouldnt say they didnt perform well in the game v Donegal, against Galway, yeah. But Mayo have been playing games every week for the last 5 weeks!! Cork, Dublin, Tyrone, Galway, Donegal, cut them some slack. I'd favour Mayo to win on May 20th and from their to win Connaught, we'll have D Brady and T Mort back probably.